A little advice??

BorgRae

Visit site
I’d like some advice please… This may be long, sorry!!

So, I’ve had my ISH gelding for 4 years. My mum originally bought him as she felt sorry for him. He was neglected, skin and bone, covered in lice and had serious trust issues due to this neglect.

Skip to now and he’s a lovely lad, a bit green in canter, needs a confident, calm rider when hacking alone, but is never rude, never bucks, bronks, rears or bolts. He’s just an honest and genuine boy.

I’ve had horses for the last 9 years (had to sell mine when mum got ill 3 years ago, which broke my heart, but decided to keep this boy due to his issues). I’ve always loved my boy and it’s always been an honour and a privilege to own a horse. However, for the last couple of years I’ve started to tire from horse ownership, even resent having to go down.

I suffered with anxiety and depression for the last couple of years and am now seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, but instead of my horse time being a joy, it’s more of a drag (which is awful to say, as I know how lucky I am to even have a horse). I have to force myself to ride, and even then it’s maybe only once a week.

I just don’t know what to do. I start a new job next week which is going to incur a lot of extra travel, and the thought of coping in winter is terrifying me! I’ve been toying with the idea of selling for over a year now, but dread to think where he’d end up in case he goes somewhere awful again! I managed to secure a fantastic forever home for my other lad… But don’t know if I’d get that lucky with him??

He’s 14, his canter in unbalanced and has stringhalt, although that doesnt affect him… what are his chances???

Do I put him on full loan? Or Loan with view to buy? How much would I even sell him for?? Money is tight so I can’t really afford retirement livery… Plus he's not ready to retire. He's a lovely horse and would make someone really happy...

Urgh… sorry for the rant folks!!! Cakes all round!!

I*HM

Visit site
Where I in your shoes, I think I would put him up for loan. Find him a nice home nearby so the option to check in on him is there and find him someone who will enjoy him. Though he may not be 100% perfect, he sounds far from a hopeless case and I'm sure he'd be more than capable of making someone very happy :) As long as you're honest and fair about his strengths and shortcomings, you should be able to find him somewhere suitable on either a fixed loan contract or loan with view to buy later on down the road.
A friend took on a loan horse that sounds similar to yours when the horse was 18, 6 years on, the horse is now her little sister and mum's shared hack and is in a home where he can stay on into retirement.

ETA: Just an after thought - owner of the horse my friend has on loan has loaned her other horse to one of the smaller equestrian colleges and is very happy with the standard of care and the workload he's been given.

Last edited:

BorgRae

Visit site
Thank you for your reply, that gives me some hope! I just want to make sure he gets to the right home and has the best possible life he can!!

cheekywelshie

Visit site
I think you need to do what is best for you :) Hopefully you will find a nice loan or share home. I wouldn't worry too much about string halt -

My horse is unbalanced in canter and he also has string halt - I moved him to 24 hour turnout and he seems to have more go! I think he canter is a difficult pace to crack, however cos he's the safest thing i've ever ridden, does a decent dressage test (8's in free walk 7s in trot - canter is ropey but the FWOALR lifts us up), and jumps decent over 2'6 and i can open gates for him and others and hack alone - all that outweighs the other stuff will just have to plod on with the canter!

SazzyB

Visit site
Why not advertise for a sharer? I've been a sharer and now I have my own horse I share him. My horse is on part livery and my sharer pays £200 a month, and rides usually 2 or 3 times a week (although she can ride more if she wants to, but works too).
I have had a couple of sharers before, all great. Just a thought that maybe if you had someone else who could pay you and help out it might let you start to enjoy your horse again and also easier to make decision on selling or loaning, or continuing to share.

Barnacle

Visit site
I would try to sell and be done with it. You sound like you'd be happier not having to worry about this. Most people are nice and your horse doesn't sound like he really has any serious issues now - people are always so worried about where their horse will go, they forget they were someone a horse "went to" themselves once. And you can always do a lwvtb if you are worried about the new home being suitable.