A little bit of Agility

3Beasties

Visit site
Both of us are fairly new to agility but we absolutely love it! She has picked it up so quickly too :)

Here's a little vid from our training yesterday -

[video=youtube;CwHYW0m8n6Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwHYW0m8n6Y[/video]

Do any of you do agility? If so would love to see some vids please!

chillipup

Visit site
Wow, that's really impressive 3B she is obviously a very quick learner and she is so fast too! I'm hoping my new pup Tallulah may enjoy agility a little later on...

Mightymax

Visit site
My goodness she's quick! But please be careful and aware of the damage and injuries that Agility can do to dogs backs (both skeletal and muscular) and joints. The high speed sharp twists and turns over the jumps and going through the weaves, as well as the concussion from coming down the A Frame, can cause a lot of damage. Agility is great fun, and most dogs love it, but they need to be fit and Agility courses done in moderation. Impressed with her 'wait' too!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
How speedy is she?! :)

I video a lot of our training sessions, it's useful to be able to look back and see your handling from the trainer's point of view. I have a big slow dog so it's great for identifying opportunities to shave off seconds here and there for competition.

[video=youtube_share;LVQHyMhWhAg]https://youtu.be/LVQHyMhWhAg[/video]

gunnergundog

Visit site
My goodness she's quick! But please be careful and aware of the damage and injuries that Agility can do to dogs backs (both skeletal and muscular) and joints. The high speed sharp twists and turns over the jumps and going through the weaves, as well as the concussion from coming down the A Frame, can cause a lot of damage. Agility is great fun, and most dogs love it, but they need to be fit and Agility courses done in moderation. Impressed with her 'wait' too!

Lovely video BUT surely this pup is only about 10 months old now? Or have I missed something? Most agility clubs don't allow pups to join and start training until 12 months old; some allow them to join but 'jumps' are poles on the ground only in my experience.

As Mightymax says above please be careful that you are not setting up problems for yourself in years to come.

Oenoke

Visit site
This was my Skye at Crufts
[video=youtube;P4XUapgjx70]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4XUapgjx70[/video]

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Fantastic run Oenoke, what an achievement. :)

I would give anything to be there, doing the qualifier circuit again this year. Little spaniel had his moment of glory on the green carpet but I don't think he's going to get me to the main arena. :p

Cahill

Visit site
couple of stills :)
DC3F4033.jpg

DC3F4047.jpg

Oenoke

Visit site
Fantastic run Oenoke, what an achievement. :)

I would give anything to be there, doing the qualifier circuit again this year. Little spaniel had his moment of glory on the green carpet but I don't think he's going to get me to the main arena. :p

Thanks, this was 2011, she got a 4th place with this run, she's 10 now and has just gone down to allsorts/veterans. I've got her daughter competing, she is lovely at training, but a bit wild at shows and a youngster (15 months old) in training.

3Beasties

Visit site
Great pics and vids, thank you for sharing! I find it really interesting to watch people handling their dogs; making what look like impossible sequences to me, seem easy on film!

Regarding her age, yes she is young hence why she has done mainly 'flat-work' - lots of circle work, targets, waits etc etc. She has only recently progressed to small jumps having been over just poles before. The jumps used now are lower than elbow height which I was told is fine? The sequence in the video was done once, just the one time we filmed, and then we moved on to something else.

Shantara

Visit site
I went to a show at the weekend and we had a go at agility! Obviously, since she's only 4 1/2 months old, she was very limited in what she could do. We did the tunnel, dog walk and had a go at the weaves, but very slowly. She aced it all! We also did a "Rally" which apparently is agility and obedience. She was perfect at that too!
So, on the way home, I bought her a tunnel :p she's been having great fun with it! I'm going to try and get some jumps soon, so I can get her going through the wings to get the idea before I actually get her jumping in 8 months time!
Her (older) full brother does it and apparently he's really good and loves it!

13001032_10154128238972888_8378689496400965226_n.jpg

Cahill

Visit site
my club would have a fit at tunnel,DW and weaves on 1st go lol
having started my first dog on our own,i now realise how important getting the basics are.

a lot of difference between `fun` agility and correct training.