A little grumpy!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
My sister and I spent a lovely day today judging the ridden showing classes at a riding club about 60 miles from where I live. We judged for about 5 hours (8 classes and a championship) - everyone tried really hard, and when we offered advice for future classes, many of them came into the ring later in the day and had already shown improvement which was fantastic.

The reason for the post, however, is to ask people to remember to be polite to judges when showing. I have heard so many times on here people saying "they only placed the people they knew", "they don't like greys/black/bays", "they don't know what they are talking about" etc etc.

One horse came into the ring for the ridden horse class. The class was meant to be a ridden class for show horses i.e. cobs, hunters, riding horses hacks etc. A very flashy dressage horse came into the ring. It had an incredibly long tail, and to me, appeared to be totally kitted out for doing dressage. It also had quite a high leg action, and was totally a dressage horse and NOT a show horse. It also did not have great conformation - front legs coming out of the same hole, long in the back - really, just NOT a show horse. Anyway - called it in 3rd, did its show and went down to 4th. Didn't show an extension and the conformation problems really showed up when we saw it standing.

We placed the rest of the class - there were about 12 in it.

Whilst the rosettes were being given out, she asked (quite correctly) was there anything she could do to improve her placing. My sister advised her to try to show the horse less as a dressage horse for example, different plaits, shorter tail, saddle a little further back. The conversation then turned more to would she have been placed higher if the horse had been turned out differently. My sister replied along the lines of "not really, as the conformation of the horse was not quite as good as the others higher up the line" (she was trying to be kind). At this point the girl stormed out of the ring (we had not even finished giving the rosettes out) shouting to the audience that the judged thought her horse had poor conformation. She apparently then went back to the horse box park, said that the judges had only placed people they know (had never met them before as the riding club was so bl00dy far from us!) and that we didn't have a clue about showing (my sister has won something like 5 HOYS championships and 3 reserve championships over the past 10 years).

This is the type of thing that gives showing a bad name. If someone cannot accept that they won't win every class they enter, then don't do showing. She will now tell anyone that will listen (and I sincerely hope that she is a member on here and is now ashamed of her behaviour) that showing is crooked. Well - not today it wasn't. Her horse (quite simply) was not good enough. What was appalling was her shouting at the audience, storming off before the class was dismissed and having a go at the judges just because she didn't like what was said. Just because someone spends £20k on a horse does NOT mean that I have to think it has good conformation.

Anyway - apologies for the long post and the rant - but considering the bad press that showing judges get on here, it is about time a judge was able to put their side of a story!

(thank you to anyone that managed to read this lot
blush.gif
)

dieseldog

Visit site
I read it and what a rude girl - maybe your sister shouldn't have been kind to her...

BTW was thinking of names for cobs - have you got The Cob Father?

moodymare1987

Visit site
Oh I know what you mean, I have seen a lot of people like this, they do give showing a bad name, I love showing I always have and alway will. Not once have I thought oh well they dont know whatever.

I take advice from judge but more often than not I know what my faults were and know the reason for being where I Was. Oops I forgot the point of this, Well sounds like you had a good day minus the people who complained. x

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
I read it and what a rude girl - maybe your sister shouldn't have been kind to her...

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG - what an utterly BRILLIANT cob name. I will have to get sis to buy a new cob now!!!

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG - what an utterly BRILLIANT cob name. I will have to get sis to buy a new cob now!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... there is a fish and chip shop near us called The Cod Father - so I kind of got it from there

BBs

Visit site
Charming!
You know, things will never change. I judged years ago at a championship ridden class, I too handing out the prizes, small child asked what she could do to improve her placing. I said that if she had xyz (tack wasnt totally appropriate) but pony was very correct, the top lot there wasnt much between them, so that was my only grumble to this kid. Next minute i have said mother in ring shouting at me saying that she had been up all night getting said pony ready, even cleaned it teeth WTF!!!
I was literally gobsmacked, said child in tears and mother with steam coming out of her ears.
Oh the joys of judging....

Irishcobs

Visit site
My god how rude! Some people really do think highly of themselves.
I have only once been not happy with my placing in a show and that was because a blatantly lame horse (judge told her it was lame) was placed above me. But I never complained and didn't even come on here to moan, judges decision is final so what good would it do accept make me sound stuck up!

custard

Visit site
OMG how rude. Showing is down to personal preference, ie the horse the judge would most like to take home, if they not like, they shouldnt show.

Judging is a thankless job, you have my sympathy

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Well put FMM.

I, too was judging at a smallish show today, although they had qualifiers for BSPA and the Amateur Showing Society.

I started judging at 1.30pm and had 10 classes and a Championship to do!
shocked.gif

This then turned into 12 classes as we had to split two classes due to the numbers forward.
A few classes were easy to judge but some gave me a massive headache. You had the lovely looking ponies/horses going poorly and the mooses
blush.gif
going beautifully!
One girl asked me very politely how she could improve her placing and I hope I answered her fairly and equally politely. She had done a foot perfect show on a pony that wasn't a patch on those above her, some of which had not gone so well.
I told her that she'd produced and ridden her pony beautifully but on the day was beaten by ponies which were more of the type I was looking for.
I tried to say that if it was marked on a points system, the other ponies conformation and type marks would have still meant that any minus' for the mistakes in their shows wouldn't have affected the overall placings.
It's hard when the pony is probably her pride and joy!
I was lucky, she seemed to understand and take it well unless it was a different story back at the box!

spooks

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
ie the horse the judge would most like to take home, if they not like, they shouldnt show.

[/ QUOTE ]

im not a judge by any stretch of the imagination,(have stewarded for a few though ) . anyway the above comment reminded me of a fun show that the local riding club used to do many years ago now. i got roped into judging the fun classes and one of these was pony the judge would most like to take home..in walks someone with a fallabella and i heard the audience say ,judge is bound to pick that one... had them all lined up when a flustered young girl on a black section d rushed into the ring...there was just something about that pony and it was him that i pulled in first much to the amazement of the onlookers and the girl on the pony, she looked at me,pointed to herself and went "me"?! it seems everyone thought i would place the fallabella first...i pulled that in second as it was dead cute lol. even the show organisers said to me afterwards that they were glad i didnt pick the fallabella first, i just told them im didnt pick it first as i liked the welsh better..simple as!
i dont envy any judge of any kind and as someone else said its a thankless task. as for her royal rudeness she probably just made a total pratt of herself with her little outburst!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Diesel Dog - I have passed your Cob Father name on which has met with immense approval! Thanks for that - hopefully within the next season or so there will be a cob with your name on it!

Dutch

spaces.msn.com
Hi

I think it was good that your sister did ask the judge (in the non aggressive way) what more she could have done!

I think a lot of people love to bad mouth judges when the truth is there were others which were better. How embarassing. If I was in a competition and I was pleased with Dutch, but we were way down the list I would still be pleased with him. If he was naughty but we got placeed I would still think he was really naughty!!

At least you had a good time!