A Little Lesson in Horse Behaviour?

JAK

Visit site
Firstly, yes, I did tell the girls off for running round with no bl**dy hats on, however.......

Look closely at the video, what do you see?

a) A small, fat, stupid pony that can't be bothered to join in with the game or is just too lazy to move initially, taking ages to get going, the miserable little toad? Or...........

b) A highly clued-up, tuned-in pony that very much wants to join in with the game & has been a part of it from the start?

Note how pony breaks into a canter as eldest daughter legs it away but then appears to hesitate & fall back? She has slowed her canter right down as she realises littlest daughter has now been left behind & as she is unable to keep pace with both girls, must now decide which one to follow!
As she approaches the red cross pole jump, she makes her decision, lengthens her stride & accelerates away as she passes it to catch up with eldest daughter!
As she reaches her, she drops her pace to fall in beside her at a trot, where she happily remains! She can see & hear littlest daughter puffing along behind & knows she will catch up eventually! LOL

Which version did you see? LOL

ruscara

Visit site
That was a delight to see. She is certainly one 'joined up' pony if ever I saw one.
smile.gif
smile.gif

JAK

Visit site
m_m, I have seldom met a pony who is more 'tuned in' to people - perhaps because she was so wary & headshy, she made an extra effort to study people very closely, watching their every move & trying to 'read' them? What do you think?

One of the reasons I was so easily persuaded to have her was remembering how she would just stand quietly by the fence watching the girls intently with their other ponies - she was definitely studying us & apparently found us quite fascinating! LOL

ruscara

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
m_m, I have seldom met a pony who is more 'tuned in' to people - perhaps because she was so wary & headshy, she made an extra effort to study people very closely, watching their every move & trying to 'read' them? What do you think?

One of the reasons I was so easily persuaded to have her was remembering how she would just stand quietly by the fence watching the girls intently with their other ponies - she was definitely studying us & apparently found us quite fascinating! LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what leaps out to me from this, is the way that you take the time (and intuition) to watch your ponies and understand THEIR viewpoint. I wish more people would/could do this.

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
SWO looks like shes having a whale of a time JAK

[/ QUOTE ]
Well my view is, if she didn't want to play, she wouldn't but she usually does! You can force a pony to follow if it's on a leadrope but 'free', it's totally up to them, isn't it?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
lovely

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks calon!
smile.gif

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That is lovely JAK; your girls are really something special and look how the mare's responded too; brilliant!

[/ QUOTE ]
It is actually quite nice having a pony that nobody expects anything of, that is never under any pressure to do or be anything, other than just be herself!
She has taught me a great deal in consolidating lessons learned during training & in realising how problems can occur from skipping over or rushing even one tiny little stage, so really, she is a very 'useful' little equine! LOL

JAK

Visit site
Small White Useless One will henceforth be known simply as Small White One!
laugh.gif

kayleigh_and_rocky - she is indeed cuteness personified!
smile.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
That's one cute pony - please send daughter down to me, Cairo is a bit lame this week. Probably due to him flying around the parade ring trampling mini shetlands and then taking Andy over an hour to get him back on the box for home - he apparently had that f**k you look in his eye , ran people over and jumped up and down all over the place. In the end Andy literally hauled him up the ramp - easier said then done with a big lump like Mr C.

Chancer would love to play with them and it would give old bugger chops a chance to rest his leg whilst having a bit of bute to ease him along.

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have the Bug's owners agreed to MD daughter schooling him? *fingers crossed!!*

[/ QUOTE ]
I am refusing to speak to them at the moment, as they have been very naughty!
mad.gif

(I shall pm you to whinge about it!)

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
All your videos are a delight to watch. You daughter's seem to have such empathy and a real bond with all your ponies and it just shows how even the most obstinate or misunderstood horses can be turned around.

Can I send Spring to you for some training?!
wink.gif