A little report from The Young, The Stupid and The Old

Saucisson

Visit site
So started at 5am Sunday :( Me groom, OH jockey.

3 horses in a local one day event. One Young horse's first comp (60cm :D), my horse's first XC of the year (80cm) and OH's horse's first XC since July last year due to injury (1m).

Truck started first time :) and off we went.

Baby Girl (The Young) went first in the dressage (she's never done any comps before so we were happy if she stayed in the ring :D). She was a bit wound up and threw in a few cheeky bucks but generally was very good. Off she went to the jumping, she jumped about 90cm and went clear. So, the big test - the cross. She is a bit of a fierce girl and went at it like a pro! Didn't even flinch at the water and stormed home! She came 2nd overall - what a good girl :) Her owner didn't stop grinning when we told him - we've got big, big hopes for her for the future.

My little horse was next up (The Stupid). He was an absolute PIG to handle all day as he hates being confined in the truck. He wouldn't walk in hand, was dancing about everywhere - it was like he'd regressed :mad: Maybe he was also a bit excited about the two sexy laydeeez in the truck with him :rolleyes:

Got to the dressage (I was calling as OH wasn't sure of the test - with my bad French accent :D). The Judge stopped us after a couple of mins to tell us that the test had changed (internet was out of date) and handed us the new test to start again :eek: My calling was appalling and I left it too late sometimes but horse was fantastic and just got on with it.................after dressage.................he was in 1st place :D He obviously overcame the "human" error :D He was a total idiot in the jumping - all hot and bothered and was LUCKY to only have one down. On the XC though, he just went for it - balked a bit at the water but OH was having none of it and he flew round the rest. I was very happy he wasn't even particularly wet when he finished (gallop training has been my responsibility :)) Overall he came second which I guess shows how important it is to have a good dressage score.

Lady Muck was the last one to go. She was the polar opposite to my horse - an absolute doll to handle all day but a bit of a bag in the dressage and jumping - she does NOT like being separated from the others. As a result, she fluffed up the dressage and jumping and although she did great in the XC (but she always does) she came 11th. We're thinking that we need to separate her from the others more in the future.

So, Baby Girl won me a nice new baseball cap and we had to chuckle a bit at my horse winning a nice new...............whip - how appropriate!

For the future, maybe it's time for my horse to move up to 90cm now, Baby Girl can probably go to 80cm with a bit more training and Lady Muck - well, solitary confinement!

But, credit to the jockey. At 52 years old he managed 3 horses in 3 disciplines in one day (and didn't get grumpy :eek:). Yesterday morning, he was prancing round the bedroom, sticking his chest out and claiming "you see, I'm not so old!" :D

Last edited:

Baydale

Visit site
Fab report and great results, well done to you and your stable jockey. ;) I have this vision of you reading the test in a very 'Allo 'allo French accent, that did make me chuckle. :D

Booboos

Visit site
Could all you "5am start, ride 3 horses in one day eventing" sorts please stop depressing the rest of us who sweat just going for a hack round the block???!!! :p

But seriously, brilliant results, well done!! ;)

Saucisson

Visit site
Sounds like a fab day, well done!!!!

It was thanks, weather was fab too - sunny but not too hot. Although I did realise during Lady Muck's dressage warm-up, that I hadn't sat down all day (it was 2pm :p) I bet WFP's grooms don't have this, bet they have golden deck chairs to plonk into :D!

I have this vision of you reading the test in a very 'Allo 'allo French accent, that did make me chuckle. :D

Unfortunatly, OH's comment on leaving the ring was "your accent was terrible". I think my accent is more Lincolnshire French than Allo Allo - it's not even that good :eek:

Excellent report - really made me smile. Sounds like the horses are coming along nicely :)

It's not pretty when OH's strut around the bedroom is it :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

Thank you. We are really impressed with the Baby. She's coming on so well, she's currently doing a week of work then a week of holiday (back home) and seems to be thriving on it - she's a clever girl and it would be so easy to push her but we do make her go on her hols to "reflect" :p.
Her owner is lovely too and it makes me really happy for him to see her doing well. (She's a Galoubet grand-daughter so I think 60cm might be a touch easy for her but it's great experience for the cross and competitions in general)

Sounds like a fab day :) You need to bring OH back down to Earth!! Or maybe get your horse to do that ;) ;) ;)

Oh no, THAT particular ego will NEVER land :D I was really chuffed for him though. The horses seem to be coming up through the "ranks" very nicely.

The next decision is whether to put my horse into the next comp. It's a national 90cm but with difficult terrain. Lady Muck will be going (weather permitting) so I'd really like to see him go - especially as his fitness seemed pretty good on Sunday (although he was totally pooped yesterday, we went for a gentle walk in the wood and he barely flinched at a quad bike - highly unusual for him :D)

Last edited:

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
"But, credit to the jockey. At 52 years old he managed 3 horses in 3 disciplines in one day (and didn't get grumpy ). Yesterday morning, he was prancing round the bedroom, sticking his chest out and claiming "you see, I'm not so old!""

I'm loving this :D :D :D

Very well done the lot of you :D

Rosiefan

Visit site
Brilliant report and a brilliant day by the sounds of things. My son in law is your OH's age and he keeps threatening to go point to pointing again but sadly he'd never make the weight :(.
Good luck next time - go the sausage horses :)

Saucisson

Visit site
Could all you "5am start, ride 3 horses in one day eventing" sorts please stop depressing the rest of us who sweat just going for a hack round the block???!!! :p

I was pretty depressed when the alarm went off - a LOT of coffee was required :p

Very well done the lot of you :D

Thank you, although the sooner they're all in 2-day events the better :D

Well done, was that at Affligem? We drove past it on Saturday, hadn't realised it was so close to the motorway!

It was Herchies (near Mons). The big question now is Tongeren for my horse. It's tough going ground for his first 90cm but we'll be there anyway with Lady Muck.

My only contact with Affligem is drinking the beer :D

Brilliant report and a brilliant day by the sounds of things. My son in law is your OH's age and he keeps threatening to go point to pointing again but sadly he'd never make the weight :(.
Good luck next time - go the sausage horses :)

Thank you :) Point-to-pointing :eek: I admire his spirit though, you'll just have to keep feeding him pies :D