A mane problem!

julest_raf4

New User
Visit site
Hi,
Im having a disaster with my boys mane! Over the last month or so he has been out in a rug that goes up his neck. Unfortunately it is causing half his mane to fall out!! :-( Can anybody tell me what I can do to help it grow back apart from the fact I have changed his rug! And how do the show jumpers get their horses mane to lie so flat?

GTs

Visit site
I can not believe you put so many rugs on your horses - in 20 years they will all be wearing heated space suits.......

barnbrookaa

Visit site
i had exactly the same problem last year i just had to let it gorw back and pull the rest of the mane to that length so it looked somewhat level xxxx

Tia

Visit site
I don't know what you call them over in the UK - but they are slinky things that you place over the horses head, neck and mane. They keep them clean and hold the mane over to the correct side.

Actually I don't even know what they are called over here - I call them hoodies!
grin.gif

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
blush.gif
PMSL!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In Colorado today they had to dig all the horses out of the 3 foot of snow! Before the storm came they put a number of hay bails out in the field shelter, checked them once at the 24 hour mark, but pretty much left alone. None of them were rugged, all of them are fine.

Tia

Visit site
What was the temperature in Boston today? We had 9 degrees celsius!!
shocked.gif
And it's supposed to get warmer tomorrow and everywhere is still green.....it's not right LOL!!

GTs

Visit site
WOW, that is not bad. I am in Socal right now so I am wearing shorts and sandals. My gf said it was 15C there yesterday, in Denver with the storm it -6C with winds up to 60 mph.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
But at least in Denver it would be a crisp dry cold, not the damp miserable chill you to the bones cold we have at the moment (don't think its been above 0C for 3 days, complete with freezing fog). O.K. admittedly not as cold a Denver, but feels worst as no daylight, due to fog and damp to boot.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I'm sure there is some lotion you can buy from e-bay from (Tailgators I think) which is supposed to make the hair grow quicker (haven't tried though). My mares mane got rub last year, but I just got a different rug and waited for it to grow back (was just long enough to plait for showing in June!!!).

S_N

Visit site
I think the OP's horse is most likely clipped and in work.

I know, as well as you, that horse can survive quite happily in the conditions you describe - similar to one of my winters in Kentucky (2003, when we had an Ice Storm that left 65,000 homes without electricity for 3 days!!). However, you can't stop people looking after their horses as they see fit! B for instance would probably DIE in those conditions unrugged - believe me, I know my horse and I know she gets cold!

GTs

Visit site
And it is always harder when it is your precious pet....... I know that!

B would like the heated space suit.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
And it is always harder when it is your precious pet....... I know that!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have yet to call mine "My Preciiiouussss"
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
B would like the heated space suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I think she would!! I wish I'd had my cam-corder on me the few times I have found her a shivering, shaking wreck!! I've never felt so guilty in all my life!! Twice she has been stone cold at the base of her ears, front of her nose, under her elbows and vaguely warm between her back legs!! THAT to me, is COLD horse - that was in October!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
But TBH, your horses are likely used to it! Snow isnt actually that bad anyway - my horses only seem to get cold when its cold, wet and windy rather than in nice crisp snow. Yours live without rugs because I bet you havent clipped yours etc.! Personally I have to rug my horses up because they are ridden and show jumped all winter so must be clipped. I also have 2 natives who aren't worked so they grow a lovely thick coat and are not rugged! It all depends!

Puppy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I can not believe you put so many rugs on your horses - in 20 years they will all be wearing heated space suits.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that many people over rug, but what has that got to do with her mane problem??
confused.gif

My horse is 20, she lives out, she is currently blanket clipped, and wearing one rug; a very decent H/W rhino. However, she has a thin mane and the rug does ruin the bottom half of it somewhat. It doesn't mean that she's over rugged.....

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that many people over rug, but what has that got to do with her mane problem??
confused.gif

My horse is 20, she lives out, she is currently blanket clipped, and wearing one rug; a very decent H/W rhino. However, she has a thin mane and the rug does ruin the bottom half of it somewhat. It doesn't mean that she's over rugged.....

[/ QUOTE ]

*CLAPS* I was too tired to put that into words last night!

Irishcobs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what you call them over in the UK - but they are slinky things that you place over the horses head, neck and mane. They keep them clean and hold the mane over to the correct side.

Actually I don't even know what they are called over here - I call them hoodies!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep Hattie wearing one of those as when Gyp grooms her, he rubs her rug against her mane and pulls it out, these hood things stop the mane moving about so it doesn't get pulled out.

julest_raf4

New User
Visit site
Thanks for everyones views, I might check out that lotion! GT.... Im sure he could survive outside without needing a rug, especially as he is half shire but hes totally clipped out and I think he might just feel the chill at the mo!! :) As for too many rugs??... You can never have too many rugs! :p
Merry Christmas to everyone! xxx

Theresa_F

Visit site
Try using Tailgators products - I used the rebuilder and the survivor - fantastic stuff - after years of a few wisps Mr C has a thick mane again - still short but the longest and thickest he has ever had.

Use the survivor on Chancer - great for getting tangles out and preventing rubs.

All their stuff smells beautiful and you can use it on your own hair.