A Monster Situation! Any help or advice appreciated!

Sara.phoenix

New User
Visit site
Hi, I have gotten myself into a right situation.
Basically I brought a horse on the view that it was a happy hacker and that it was calm and sweet and on the viewing it was. I was told this horse had no illnesses, injury's, problems or vices etc. After a few weeks of owning him it became apparent that he was a massive stress head i.e you cant put him out without others, you cant bring him in without others, you cant ride him without others etc.
This wouldn't be so bad if he was alright and other people would bring him in with theirs etc but they wont because they are scared of him. Hes started charging off, rearing, bucking, kicking, spinning, trampling etc. This behavior came out of the blue, I did some tests and it turns out he has stomach ulcers (treated and on supplements) arthritis (supplements) hes on a calmer (you wouldn't think so) Magcalm. I spoke to his old owner when i found out about his aliments and she said she knew he had ulcers arthritis and was a stress head!? why was i not told this before as i wouldn't of brought the horse (theres the answer). I really dont know what to do, he had a major flip and threw me off so hes been on rest but now its got to the point where i cant even handle him without him getting upset. Hes completely changed, i cant even brush him or do anything with him without him getting stressed. I work nights and im absolutely knackered i have to wait for other owners to get to the yard to put theirs out before i can take mine out if i put him out on his own he flips then i have to come back down at 3pm to get him in. so i only get 3 -4 hours sleep a day and then i have to go to work for 9 hours in a stressful job. I dont know how much longer i can take this or support him finacially with all the extra stuff he now needs that dosent even seem to be working. hes been seen by the vet and we are trying different things. his backs been done, he wont stand for the farrier. at this rate i cant keep him its not fair on anyone, i love him to pieces, i dont want to have to have him PTS but i cant see him in pain, i dont want to 'palm' him off onto someone else to look after but i really dont know. my YO thinks i should get rid or have him PTS. people have said i should look at getting him rehomed somewhere experienced but who would take him? if id have know alll this before i purchased him i wouldnt of had him but ive got him now and i dont know what to do. I just wanted a simple happy hacker to play with and enjoy his company, but now ive got this. he has the best care you can ask the vet or YO his needs always come before mine and he never goes without but he is just so unpredictable at the moment i just dont know what to do!

Mister Ted

Visit site
What bad luck.You dont mention his age-sounds possibly in his teens.He is obviously picking up on your stress levels too as well as settling into hisnew home. As you dont know his history heaven knows what he has been through poor lad.The kindest thing may be to PTS.Otherwise World Horse Welfare may advise or possibly give him a home.

luckyoldme

Visit site
If its very early days a lot of your horses problems could be due to being very unsettled, mine was really bad when i first got him seven years ago. If i knew then what i knew now i would have just hoyed him in a field to settle and gradually built up the trust with him. As it was i was scared stiff of him at times and he reacted badly to that and the change in his environment. I had four or five trips to a and e after being thrown off not to mention a mad dash down a main road to catch him after coming off four times in one day.
He is totally different now, he lives out 24/7 and i can leave him for months without riding then hoy the saddle on and go for a plod...............every now and again we get a very brief glimpse of his stress head side, he hates change to his routine and it does totally unsettle him. i really would try to get him out with company to settle down after his move and don t put too much pressure on yourself to ride him straight away, its a bit pointless if you are scared stiff!

sunshine100*

Visit site
Hi thanks for posting this-you are not alone in all this--one option you have is contacting Jason Webb-(he has a website really great aussie bloke) spending money with him will sort this horse out-or you can PTS-like you said you cant pass the poor horse to owner to owner....bless you for trying to help the horse and then I would sue the prev owner-(small claim court) for mis-selling for def! keep us all posted-

Sara.phoenix

New User
Visit site
Hes 13 and an ex racer, hes been at this new yard for about 6 months but just dosent seem to settle and tbh neither are the other horses so i think im going to try a new yard. Ive had him for around a year now. But he just isnt settling so it might be that. Im not scared of him hes my baby. I just really want him sorted i cant see him in pain or stressed!:( any matinence help for people in simular situation. I want to help him.

be positive

Visit site
I thought from your first post he was a fairly recent purchase and would have said try to send him back as they obviously lied about his issues but after 12 months it is too late so you have to do your best to sort him out.

The first thing is if the yard is full of unsettled horses than it is not a good yard in general and for a stressy horse it is probably the cause of his behaviour and adding to his issues with ulcers, they will never clear up while he is there so moving to a better, more suitable place should be your priority, ideally where he can be out as much as possible, being a tb he may prefer to be in at night over winter but having the option to stay out would be perfect although not many yards can accommodate this the most suitable place will offer turnout 24/7 for most of the year, mine stay out until Nov/Dec if possible and then come in at night out every day until spring when they go out 24/7 if they want.

Until he has moved I don't think he will improve, you have been trying for so long something fundamental in his life has to change first, then give him time to settle to his new routine get any appropriate veterinary treatment started and bring him back into work very quietly, underneath the horse you thought you were getting may still be there, most ex racehorses thrive on routine, being in a settled environment and doing plenty of work to keep their minds and body occupied,

I hope it works out for you both although if it doesn't improve pts must be considered, it is not an easy decision to make but it puts an end to his suffering and is not always a bad reflection on the owner sometimes circumstances mean there is no other option, it is kinder than passing on to an uncertain future .

Last edited:

paddi22

Visit site
i've a very stressy exracer and we moved yards a few times till we got one that suited. Mine only really settled when he was out 24/7 in a stable herd in a field that didn't have a lot of coming and coming in it. It took him a few months but then his personality completely changed. He knew when he was leaving the field with me he was going for feed and fussing, and he gradually was fine. Saying that, the thing that helped the most was a brilliant natural horseman guy who gave me lessons on handling and dealing with his behaviour.

Mister Ted

Visit site
Being an ex racehorse explains a lot! It will have been through the mill, denied roughage for long periods before races contribute to ulcers to name but a few of his problems.Patience and the right knowledge to address his issues is key.Is there a retired racehorse group or forum you could join to exchange views.?

shellibob

Visit site
Possibly repeating above comments but defo try and find a yard with a stable herd and if poss 24/7 turnout at least over summer, you could of been describing my horse 3 years ago, 2 yards later and I have a stress free chilled out neddy and finally able to start some work with him , deep down your sweet horse will be there you just need to find somewhere that suits the horse ....good luck I know its difficult

Sara.phoenix

New User
Visit site
Ill have a look for some fourms good idea :) and yes i think moving him will be the best idea i just hope it works and he settles down. I just want my sweet boy back so we can go on hacks again. I cant get near him at the moment. Does anyone know any natural horsemanship people that could come out and help once ive moved that arent going to be rediculusly expensive? Thank you for all your advice.