A pelham AND draw reins?!

kirstie

Visit site
I was driving along this morning when I spotted a man, out on a hack. He was riding on a busy main road, no proper hat, no hi-viz and draw reins with a pelham.

I just don't get it! I have been known to ride in both draw reins and a pelham, but never ever together! Surely if his horse was so 'crazy' to need such equipment, you might think he'd bother to put a hat on and maybe some high viz?!

The draw reins weren't particularly slack and I have to say, the horse looked quite quiet to me as I drove past. All looked very unnecessary to me to be honest.

Has anyone else seen this before? Am I wrong to be shocked?

K27

Visit site
I was driving along this morning when I spotted a man, out on a hack. He was riding on a busy main road, no proper hat, no hi-viz and draw reins with a pelham.

I just don't get it! I have been known to ride in both draw reins and a pelham, but never ever together! Surely if his horse was so 'crazy' to need such equipment, you might think he'd bother to put a hat on and maybe some high viz?!

The draw reins weren't particularly slack and I have to say, the horse looked quite quiet to me as I drove past. All looked very unnecessary to me to be honest.

Has anyone else seen this before? Am I wrong to be shocked?

Er, ahem ... whispers..I'm sure I've have seen showjumpers in the warm up (can't remember which show) with a pelham (with roundings) and draw reins ...... I personally wouldn't - but each to their own.

Did the man you saw with the Pelham and draw reins have 2 reins on his pelham as well as the draw reins?- so 3 reins in his hand, which would be tricky to ride with ... ha ha LOL!!!

kirstie

Visit site
I can see your points. I understand the different uses for draw reins and pelhams. I was just shocked that he felt he needed all that tack and didnt want a hat or hi viz.

There was no 'give' in the draw reins at all. I don't know, it's definitely not something I would do with my horse.:(

Just because a professional does something doesn't mean it is right.

Rosehip

Visit site
When my (now retired) mare was on enforced walk only work for her leg problems, I found that the only way I could stop her from bolting was to ride with draw reins through the snaffle ring of the pelham with a normal rein on the curb. This ment that she worked down into an outline seeking a contact, but I had the very nessesary pull should she go to bolt. However I wouldnt do it as a matter of course, and felt utterly stupid and cruel doing it, even though she wasnt yanked about or hauled in.

kirstie

Visit site
you do not know the reason behind it and its also none of you business

No, maybe it's none of my business. But I hate seeing a horse ridden along with it's head hauled in. I can't really think of a reason for that, can you?

I am not anti draw reins at all. But I hate to seeing them being misused.

No, not from Leicester.

loopyloop

Visit site
No, maybe it's none of my business. But I hate seeing a horse ridden along with it's head hauled in. I can't really think of a reason for that, can you?

I am not anti draw reins at all. But I hate to seeing them being misused.

No, not from Leicester.

Just sounds like somebody I know!!

Constantly rides in draw reins, no hat, hi viz etc etc and I know for a fact none of the horses need the draw reins on. They're merely there to haul the horses head in, as also proven by his constant riding with the draw rein as opposed to the normal reins! It just looks horrid!