A pointless self-potying whinge.......

cold_feet

Visit site
Please forgive me, I know much worse things have happened, but I'm just so disappointed with myself after an unscheduled dismount this morning has left me with a fractured ankle. So probably 6 weeks on crutches, won't be able to drive and I'll miss a 3day trail ride this weekend, a beach ride next week and at least 2 more planned pleasure rides. And a weeks walking holiday next month will be a much tamer event.

What a wally, after a wonderful 32k endurance ride on Sunday I was on the floor after less than a quarter of a mile the next morning. So at 61 I now have only one limb that has never suffered a fracture.

I'm actually very lucky to be in good health, with an endlessly patient non-horsey OH who is stoically looking at several weeks as general dogsbody and chauffeur including a spoilt holiday. And good friends who will keep an eye on my lovely boy at the yard as he enjoys an unexpected holiday in the field. Life is good.

That's it, whinge over, thank you for listening, and any tips for an incompetent crutch novice would be appreciated!

Archangel

Visit site
Poor you, how annoying and painful and frustrating and everything! Hope the break heals well and quickly.

I would be having a bit of a lower lip tremble/massive hissy fit about missing all that fun stuff.

Just one limb left without a fracture eh? You are not one for taking it easy are you!

No tips re crutches but I hear they are useful for moving people on in the supermarket.

Redders

Visit site
Oh dear :( I am on crutches now too- 5 weeks in! They make your hands really sore so taping some pipe insulating to the handles gives much needed padding! I am able to fetch myself a cup of tea/snack if I put it in a thermos flask/Tupperware box and carry it in a rucksack! I wish you a speedy recovery.

cold_feet

Visit site
Thank you Redders - the backpack is a genius idea. I have ordered some padded grips for the handles, I hadn't thought of pipe insulation. My biggest problem so far is balance, I don't feel stable at all. I guess it's like riding a bike, momentum helps.

Redders

Visit site
The balance improves, I am able to use my injured leg by putting in to the floor, not weight bearing but it does help with the balance. You would also think that people in supermarkets/ shops would give you a wide berth- they don't (well, some do) but a lot of people are so engrossed in thier task that they don't notice you. I have been knocked and had one of my crutches kicked away numerous times (and a child slide into me while he was doing floor slides in the aisle!) so just be prepared for that. Supermarkets offering wheelchairs are great and you feel much less vulnerable!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Oh dear :( I am on crutches now too- 5 weeks in! They make your hands really sore so taping some pipe insulating to the handles gives much needed padding! I am able to fetch myself a cup of tea/snack if I put it in a thermos flask/Tupperware box and carry it in a rucksack! I wish you a speedy recovery.

Balance improves enormously after the first week, although I did manage to topple over once in about the 4th week - fortunately no further harm done! I found that a plastic carrier bag slung from the crutch handle work well for carrying stuff around and didn't affect my balance as much as a backpack would have done. TBH the best thing I did was to go and stay with a friend who lives in a bungalow:D

Annagain

Visit site
At least you were doing something fun. My friend broke her ankle while dusting! Best wishes for a speedy recovery. The only advice I can give on crutches is to swing rather than jump - not that I've used them in anger, we did a disability training thing at work where we had to use crutches and a wheelchair for a day each. It was a real eye opener.

cold_feet

Visit site
At least you were doing something fun. My friend broke her ankle while dusting! Best wishes for a speedy recovery. The only advice I can give on crutches is to swing rather than jump - not that I've used them in anger, we did a disability training thing at work where we had to use crutches and a wheelchair for a day each. It was a real eye opener.

When I was in hospital a few years back for my broken elbow (I know, I know....) a lady in the next bed had destroyed her ankle and foot getting up to reach the TV remote. I comforted myself then, as you say, that at least I was having fun. Been practicing the swinging!

Batgirl

Visit site
Remember with stairs if you get brave enough to crutch up and down:
Bad leg down to hell
Good leg up to heaven
That is on the way up and down so when going up leave bad leg down and step up with good leg then bring bad leg to follow, on the way down bad leg onto next step good leg to follow.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Please forgive me, I know much worse things have happened, but I'm just so disappointed with myself after an unscheduled dismount this morning has left me with a fractured ankle. So probably 6 weeks on crutches, won't be able to drive and I'll miss a 3day trail ride this weekend, a beach ride next week and at least 2 more planned pleasure rides. And a weeks walking holiday next month will be a much tamer event.

What a wally, after a wonderful 32k endurance ride on Sunday I was on the floor after less than a quarter of a mile the next morning. So at 61 I now have only one limb that has never suffered a fracture.

I'm actually very lucky to be in good health, with an endlessly patient non-horsey OH who is stoically looking at several weeks as general dogsbody and chauffeur including a spoilt holiday. And good friends who will keep an eye on my lovely boy at the yard as he enjoys an unexpected holiday in the field. Life is good.

That's it, whinge over, thank you for listening, and any tips for an incompetent crutch novice would be appreciated!

i did exactly the same as you two years ago. I got told off for putting the foot to the ground, and as I was still feeding my horses, the crutch was a pain (literally). I managed to find a mobility scooter which mean't I had full access to doing the horses. An invaluable piece of kit, was a mobility walker with a seat. I used it for ferrying my meals about, and put my knee of the broken ankle up on it, then could bomb around as usual! I'm in Suffolk, so if you want to borrow it, you are welcome.

cold_feet

Visit site
i did exactly the same as you two years ago. I got told off for putting the foot to the ground, and as I was still feeding my horses, the crutch was a pain (literally). I managed to find a mobility scooter which mean't I had full access to doing the horses. An invaluable piece of kit, was a mobility walker with a seat. I used it for ferrying my meals about, and put my knee of the broken ankle up on it, then could bomb around as usual! I'm in Suffolk, so if you want to borrow it, you are welcome.

What a good idea. The strange thing is, I've had one of those doing nothing in my garage for 2 years since my Mum died. Then just a couple of months ago I lent it to a friend whose gran had a knee replacement- she used it just as you described. And I hadn't even given it a thought until your post! I'll check with my friend if mine is still being used - if it is I might just take you up on your kind offer. Thank you!

cold_feet

Visit site
Remember with stairs if you get brave enough to crutch up and down:
Bad leg down to hell
Good leg up to heaven
That is on the way up and down so when going up leave bad leg down and step up with good leg then bring bad leg to follow, on the way down bad leg onto next step good leg to follow.
Definitely not brave enough to attempt the stairs, seems terrifying! At least I can do that on my bum. But the real struggle I'm finding is doorway thresholds, I really can't work out how to get over without putting weight on my bad ankle. Googling seems to prefer the crutch hop approach, but I am not strong enough (or possibly just not confident) to try this.

oldie48

Visit site
It's really annoying as I know from experience but 6 weeks in the great scheme of things is no time at all. Look back to what you were doing six weeks ago and I think you'll be surprised at how recent it feels. I used to be of the "ignore the docs and just get on with life" school of thought but having injuries that haven't healed as well as they should, I am now more cautious, so take care and see the next few weeks as a time to occupy yourself with other activities that you don't get the time to do normally.