A positive SJ Outing? From GEOFF?!

khalswitz

Visit site
So, as we all know, Geoff is a little... unpredictable to show jump. It seems to be becoming a more and more common occurrence that people ask me 'why do I bother?'. I bother because days like Saturday DO happen!!!

A friend offered to trailer Geoff and I with her to an SJ derby competition on Saturday. That's right - a proper SJ derby, on grass, with a derby bank, uphill double, wall, water tray, the lot. Madness, you might think, and probably right considering how many times I've been upside down in fences this year. But off we went.

On Friday night my instructor was running a grid night in the indoor. So we signed up, thinking some SJ practice would do us good and give us confidence. Cue the worst jumping lesson we've had in a LONG TIME. Geoff was stopping left right and centre, for not much discernible reason. Wait, that's now an oxer instead of an upright? Refuse. That's gone up a hole? Refuse. You tried to release over the fence - Mum you know better, I'm refusing just to prove a point.

Having a good look at my jump saddle, he has a lost a bit of weight and it is sitting a little low - not badly fitting, but could do with some flocking. Will be getting the saddler out promptly. I have also hunted down a neckstrap, which I didn't have for this outing but I have now for future as I do need to sort my hands more than anything else.

So on Saturday we were feeling a little hesitant about jumping. Especially on receiving lucky number 13 as our competitor number. Hmm.

In we popped for the 60. Well, it really was tiddly, and after our confidence boosting XC that has reminded me what decent sized jumps are about, I had no time for any of the kookiness Geoff tried to put on. I made myself jump about 75cm worth of oxer in the warmup before we went in, which helped make the course look tiny, and off we went.

He had little looks, and picked his feet up well beyond what he needed to, but clear round he went - even after feeling him back off at the water and the wall and the first set of fillers, I rode positively and we went clear to finish 4th (we were not what you would call speedy, so never really in with a chance in a derby!). SO PLEASED, as he was very brave.

Pics, scroll right to view: http://jumaphotography.photium.com/photo20994325.html#photo

My friend then twisted my arm into entering the 70cm. She said it was ridiculous not to at least try, as he does jump much better on grass, and he had already been round the course once, little. It also wasn't a horrible 70 - they hadn't whacked all the fillers in, just a few, and they actually looked doable even to me (and jumps never look doable to me).

So in we went.

Most people would not consider a 16 fault round as good, however when NONE of those 16 faults are from refusals, I am pleased as punch!!! He jumped EVERYTHING without even looking, clever boy. He did take down 4 fences with his enthusiasm (it was all a bit fast and flat), but as he took me into everything I can forgive that - it isn't a regular habit of his to knock poles so he is forgiven.

Pics: http://jumaphotography.photium.com/photo20994417.html

Didn't place (obviously), but came home super pleased with my very chilled out horse, who warmed up foot perfect both times amongst whizzy ponies, and jumped everything I put him at. Clever boy :) I KNOW I need to sort my hands out and release better, hence the neckstrap we're trying out as of now. But definitely not our worst pics :)

We're off to do dressage next weekend, an aff P15 and an unaff n24, so wish us lots of luck!!! And have some spag bog and garlic bread, yum :D

Last edited:

khalswitz

Visit site
Well done you & Geoff! Sounds like a fantastic outing :)

Well done, there are some lovely pictures there. :) x

Thanks!! I was buzzing - I can't remember the last time we didn't have at least one refusal, so it was a hugely successful day :) And great to have some actually not half bad pics for once - normally I look too much like a chicken falling backwards out of the saddle to even want to look at the pics... :) So nice for a change :)

I'm glad he feels better about jumping on grass, as if we do eventually get to eventing, that's what he needs to do - so I am ok about him maybe not being much of an SJer ;)

khalswitz

Visit site
Well done. :D

I do tend to find that a bad lesson before a show usually means a good day out. ;)

I obviously need to have more bad lessons then!!! ;) that old saying about a bad dress rehearsal I guess isn't it??

So pleased with him - I remember why it's fun when he tries for me :)

But back to dressage for a few weeks now, so he'll be quite happy :)