A question for driving bods

ruscara

Visit site
I know nothing about driving so forgive if the question is numpty
smile.gif

I saw a two wheeled cart thing with a young chap in it, being drawn by a nice coloured cob (I leave you to fill in the description of both horsey and man
smirk.gif
). The horse was bowling along the road at a spanking trot with his head so high that his nose was practically pointing at the sky; and when I looked, I could see a red leather strap from his noseband (think) up over his poll and attached to the harness, keeping his head up forcibly
frown.gif

I was reminded of the 'bearing rein' in Black Beauty.

I wondered if there was any merit in keeping the horse's head up in this way, and if it was harmful. The poor horse looked quite wild, and not at all comfortable
frown.gif

JosieSmith

Visit site
I'm afraid I don't know anything about driving but that does sound uncomfortable.

There's a lot of trotters being driven around here and they're always going at a spanking trot and have their heads up - think I'll look out in case they've got one of those reins on too

Flame_

Visit site
I don't think so. In driving trials they like the horses' heads in the same sort of outline as a ridden horse when on the bit. Some carriage horses are bred with very high set necks so they always look very uphill, but I've not come across anyone trying to get the horse's nose in the air on purpose.
crazy.gif

D

Donkeymad

We have a lot of this sort od person, hrse etc by us. Are you sure the strap was actually holding the head up, as generally they just have extra straps for looks on their bridles rather than function? It is better for a driven horse to keep his head low and forward.

D

Donkeymad

Sorry ruscara, ignore my last post as I was wrong. have just asked OH who says yes they do use a type of bearing rein in order to get that outline and also to stop the horse breaking into canter.

devilwoman

Visit site
It is called something like an "overcheck" rein ?? and I think it is used for keeping their head held high - I do believe it goes through their mouth too ???? - i've seen many of them hacking it round my area too - they look very uncomfortable.

HumBugsey

Visit site
Yes its an over check to stop them breaking pace.

Can I also add that bareing reins are NOT cruel! Unfortunately for about 10 years around the time anna sewell wrote black beauty it became the fashion to have horses heads high to make them look "spirited." Many coachmen refused as it ruined good horses and after the book came out it disappeared almost overnight.

During the coaching era horses were often broken by just putting them in the wheel (back pair) of a team of horses and they just got on with it so they didn't know what they were being asked and as a result ended up with various vices, one of which was leaning on the reins. Even with a little pony, they lean on you for any length of time your arm is going to give and they can bolt (imagine a coach on the moor, heading home in the rain!) Fitted correctly the bareing rein runs from a bradoon (or occasionally the top of the normal bit) to a separate terret on the back pad and does nothing until the horse puts its head down low enough to lean on the driver, the rein becomes taught and the horse effectively pulls on themselves, they're not dumb, they'll come up and be back in control. This would have averted thousands of accidents. Having the rein is still correct turnout for some classes but due to horses being mainly recreational now we have the time to break properly and work through any issues so you don't see it as often.

Just thought i'd pass that on :p

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Yup sounds like an overcheck - we use them on our Standardbred pacers. Sometimes they're used in conjunction with an overcheck bit but not always (none of ours has a bit) it helps them to maintain their gait when racing and it shouldn't be fitted so they have to go with their head that high in the air! There are some good videos on here: http://www.s4c.co.uk/rasus/e_index.shtml showing how they should be - but this is racing under rules, NOT road racing which it sounds like you've seen
smile.gif