A quick update and a request

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Well it has been a while since I posted and if you remember at the back end of last season I was waiting for a hip operation and hoping to find a new horse.

Pip is still going strong, but the new horse is on the backburner although there is a trip booked to Goresbridge in March! Sarnie has successfully winter out until these last few days when the Cornish storms have broken my resolve and she is now tucked up safely in the stable and looking v smug!

022_zpsd618a016.jpg

Pip has being going well but I have been suffering from increasing pain whilst riding which hasn't helped. Anyway I managed to get myself on the cancellation list for my operation and instead waiting until March was called in at the beginning of January. (I was rung up at 8am and asked if I had eaten, when it transpired I had not I made my way to the hospital was in theatre by 2 and home again by 9!)

The keyhole operation on my hip removed a large bone spur which we were hopeful would help things and off the horse things are fine. However riding I am still in a lot of pain and balance is not as good as it was. Having had a splat twice in a week and feeling pretty poor having a dressage lesson I decided drastic measures were needed!

I have not ridden for a couple of weeks. A plan was made! I intend to be working very hard to get fit with the following already in progress and to be continued

● 2 / 3 sessions at pool a week incl aqua aerobics and other exercises that will strengthen my hip
● 3 / 4 session at gym to increase general fitness and specific exercises for the hip
● Use of Arc Equine machine to promote healing and recovery
● Consultation with Jon Pitts (Sports Performance Coach) on specific riding related exercises
● Physiotherapy from hospital and completing stretches and strengthening exercises they set

I am determined to get back to be a fit and effective rider although within the limitations my hip and ankle set me. So no competitions reports for a a while although I still have not ruled out Aldon at Novice level.

I have had a Skype session with Jon Pitts and he was encouraging and said the average age of equestrian gold medalists is 41 and although he can’t promise getting me to medal contention :p:eek: I mustn't consider my age a barrier. He is confident with time, awareness and appropriate riding exercises I will be able to recapture my previous level of riding. :cool:

After all the good reviews on here and a number 4 star riders having used the Arc Equine with enormous success on themselves I am also now strapping one of these on daily to see if it can help promote healing. I am hoping to get on again this weekend and see how much things have improved with the combination of the above. Sadly if things don't get better then I will be scheduled for a hip replacement.

IMG_1170_zpse5c32d73.jpg

There are regular updates on my blog if anyone is interested otherwise I hope I can be back with some competition reports before too long.

Finally a quick request, we have been nominated in Cat 5 of the Equestrian Social Media Awards. Would really appreciate your votes :) http://www.equestriansocialmediaawards.com/finalists-esma

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I love your attitude of being so proactive to your health and performance, rather than sit and complain you get on and see what you can do if find it very inspiring.
Good luck, hope it improves soon.

Zebedee

Visit site
If dedication, focus & hard work were the sole keys to success you would already be at the very top. All that's been missing is that final & most vital of ingredients - luck. (Ok - some extra money probably wouldn't have been too much of a hindrance in the general scheme of things either !)

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
If dedication, focus & hard work were the sole keys to success you would already be at the very top. All that's been missing is that final & most vital of ingredients - luck. (Ok - some extra money probably wouldn't have been too much of a hindrance in the general scheme of things either !)

Don't forget the old saying you make your own luck! I haven't done a very good job there ;)

Zebedee

Visit site
Don't forget the old saying you make your own luck! I haven't done a very good job there ;)

Hmmm. Depends on your definition of luck !! You have done so amazingly well to reach the level that you have given your 'Shoestring' circumstances. I guess what I meant was all you've been missing was that one BIG lucky break - buying a superstar horse for less than 1K that kind of thing. Does that make more sense?

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Hmmm. Depends on your definition of luck !! You have done so amazingly well to reach the level that you have given your 'Shoestring' circumstances. I guess what I meant was all you've been missing was that one BIG lucky break - buying a superstar horse for less than 1K that kind of thing. Does that make more sense?

A little :p Thanks :)

Charem

Visit site
I feel your pain (literally!) in trying to get fit in time for the season - I had an op on my leg in December and still struggling now. I will be very interested in hearing how you get on with the Arc Equine, they're out of my budget so instead I've just bought the Ice Vibe boots through the wonderful people at Twitter Eventing in the hope they may speed my recovery up. I've also found walking about in the shallow end of the pool has really helped free up my joints even if I do get some funny looks.

On the bright side at least the weather is crap atm. Hope you heal up soon.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I feel your pain (literally!) in trying to get fit in time for the season - I had an op on my leg in December and still struggling now. I will be very interested in hearing how you get on with the Arc Equine, they're out of my budget so instead I've just bought the Ice Vibe boots through the wonderful people at Twitter Eventing in the hope they may speed my recovery up. I've also found walking about in the shallow end of the pool has really helped free up my joints even if I do get some funny looks.

On the bright side at least the weather is crap atm. Hope you heal up soon.

Good luck with your recovery too glad it is not just me that gets odd looks in the pool!