A Racing Perspective...

amage

Visit site
I will preface this thread by saying I have no interest in starting a row, I am posting in part for selfish reasons in that I'm guessing it will feel cathartic to write it all down and maybe it will be of interest to some.

Very often on this forum there are negative posts surrounding racing and equine fatalities. Racing people are deemed hard and uncaring and try as some of us do to protest this is not the case it is often not understood. So here it is...a racing persons perspective of a horrible day when we brought home an empty box. We are only a very small operation, I have posted a few times on here about some success we have had rehabbing horses from injuries and either watching them go off to new careers or getting successfully back to the racecourse. Through this success we were sent a very talented horse who had some injuries but was very talented. His owners asked us to see what we could do as they were not willing to give up on him without trying everything. We took him on fully expecting he would at best be a candidate for a new career. He arrived, not a very happy horse with damaged tendons, some back trouble and looking very poor. His previous trainer was not the nicest person even though this lovely horse had been successful for him...one of those who gives the game a bad name. And so we began a very extensive program involving laser therapy, ice vibe boots and conditioning work in the sea. We were successful....I am very proud to say I would challenge anyone to find any evidence of his old tendon injuries yesterday morning. And we started a bit of work. Slowly but surely a lovely personality developed, buzzy sharp and very very hot to ride he was like a pet lamb in the stable. The owners children would come to visit and he'd stand like a rock for cuddles and grooming. Owners asked what he was suited to do....genuinely too sharp for reschooling (however quiet he was in the stable he was the direct opposite under saddle) OH suggested a full vet work up and if he got the go ahead we'd try some canter work and see how he went. So he went for a work up....the vet was told nothing about his issues....and even better the vet could find no issues. So he started cantering, and he got better and better and better. He loved his work, looked a million dollars, had some niggles but came through them and then in January the big day came...he ran in a hurdle race. He pulled up two from home having just run out of puff but we were ecstatic. His Jockey gave a glowing report, the owners were over the moon and we cried with happiness in the stable yard after at how fabulous he was and how well he came through his race. That day signalled a change, the horses confidence soared and he marched around the yard like he owned the place. We struggled a bit to find suitable ground all year, first it was too soft then to hard but we ran him a few times, never winning but running very respectably. He was our superstar and every day he went out we were so so proud of him. Then yesterday we went off to run at his syndicate of owners local track. He looked a million dollars and positively strutted around the parade ring. He had been settled before the race, had a snooze while I plaited him, posed for some cuddle pictures (something I never really do but something made me do it yesterday). He cruised down to the start and ambled around with his ears pricked waiting for the off. And then they were racing....he settled beautifully and jumped like a stag winging his fences for fun. Until the fifth....the horse slightly in front made a horrendously mistake and fell, our fella winged it and jumped super...he jumped so super he landed so fast that he crashed into the other horse. The other horse was upside down and our beautiful horse crashed into his back leg and the crash broke his shoulder. Both horses got up and cantered away but an excellent groundsman stopped our fella. We were at the far end of the tack praying and hoping that the lovely bay galloping towards us was our star. Both horses had sheepskin nosebands and white Australian cheekers....but the lovely bay galloping towards us was not our horse. Ours was being held at the other end of the home straight. My chest still hurts today from running to him. There was nothing could be done....his shoulder was broken irreparably. The team of vets were excellent as was the blue cross horse ambulance. He fell on the first circuit, by the time the horses were passing him on the second circuit he was already sedated. The saddle was pulled off and thirty seconds later he was gone. The walk to the weigh room was the longest in the world with blurry eyes and a heaving chest as I prayed and hoped our jockey was ok. He'd been picked up in the ambulance but we didn't know. And then he met us with tears in his eyes and told us he tried everything in midair to avoid the other horse, that our luck was so bad that it was the fact that he jumped the fence so well that caused it. That if he hadn't jumped so super he may have landed closer and been able to get around the horse. That he had met two other jockeys who had ridden the horse before inside and they were gutted. Back to the stable yard with just a broken bridle and a quarter sheet, complete strangers coming up to squeeze a shoulder, offer tea and commiserate. The three hour journey home was interspersed with texts and phone calls all saying how sorry they were.

And today we are numb...the yard is quiet, even my terrier who spends hours playing with this particular horse over the stable door has noted he's not here. Like I said we are a very small operation, yet the biggest trainers in Ireland who wouldn't even know us stopped to shake hands and say how sorry they are. Please do not ever believe racing folk don't care...we have spent most of today in tears. We may not show it in public all the time but we are heartbroken and everyone in that stable yard last night felt our loss just as they understand the utter euphoria when it goes well....and going well does not mean winning!

Like I said maybe this post will be misconstrued but I feel a small bit better after writing it all down.

Goldenstar

Visit site
That's very very sad , horrible I dread the empty lorry coming home and the stable rug that smells of them it's a uniquely awful experiance.
Your horse knew care and what it was to be cherished he was lucky to find your yard.

CrazyMare

Visit site
Oh god, that brought a tear to my eye.

Absolutely do not think all racing people are hard nosed. Thats a label you could put to any horsey discipline. Some people are hard nosed - irregardless of discipline. Some of us are absolute softies - regardless of discipline.

What I can tell is that you adored that horse. And that horse knew he was adored. And that is far more than many horses get.

xxx

Jnhuk

Visit site
Hugs. I am crying with you and I didn't even know your special lad. May he be galloping and jumping up there in the sky.

Racing is a community no matter what some folks say and in bad times, they all pull together.

Fools Motto

Visit site
I know words won't bring him back, but I'm so sorry for your loss. The empty stable, the empty box on the way home and those 'everyday memories' that hit you when you least expect it are the worst.
Remember how well he looked - you did that, be proud. Hugs. x

be positive

Visit site
He was a very lucky horse to be with you, it must be the so hard driving back with an empty lorry, whatever the discipline you are involved in it could happen to any horse at any time, racing may be higher risk but that does not mean the owners, trainers or jockeys do not care and they generally pull together at times like this and know what you are feeling.

He had a good life with you and went out feeling on top of the world, remember how he was going not how it finished and be proud of what you all achieved, so sad it was cut short before he really paid you back for all your care.

I am currently involved in rehabbing a broken racehorse, he is going back into training soon and although will be out of my yard I will still feel involved and be watching over him as best I can.

PorkChop

Visit site
Well after reading that I am having a bit of a blub - a lovely tribute and well done for getting him right again - so sorry for your loss x

starryeyed

Visit site
You've brought a tear to my eye - you poor thing, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It's completely obvious how much you cared about him, he sounded like a superstar and was very lucky to be in such a loving place. Sending huge hugs your way x

Firewell

Visit site
Oh I don't think all racing people are bad. We've been lucky to have beautiful ex racers who are/were the product of much care and attention in their racing lives and who came to us happy, confident horses. It's like anything you get the good, the bad and the ugly. So sorry about your beautiful boy, the hardest thing about being involved with horses is loosing them. You gave him his second chance though and it sounds like he was so grateful :).

Quadro

Visit site
I don't think racing is bad at all, in fact I am desperate to point to point, just need a horse!
Thinking of you, must be horrific. Hopefully time will help.
Q

Mariposa

Visit site
My heartfelt sympathy to you, your post bought a tear to my eye. I am so sorry for your loss, what a wonderful second chance you gave him and what a lucky horse to be so loved.

Wheels

Visit site
I am so sorry for your loss, totally heartbreaking story. I used to work for an owner myself and we lost a lovely chaser filly, she was the only filly on the whole yard and the place was not the same without her

maxie

Visit site
God I'm really sorry for your loss Amage but if it's any comfort it sounds like you did an amazing job to give your horse back his health and his spirit. Chin up x

amage

Visit site
Thank you all for your very kind words. Our wee yard was a very quiet place this evening but we'll pick up again and find another wee star to love.

tonitot

Visit site
So sorry for your loss, I know how you feel :(

My boss used to train out of a yard that several other people also trained out of. One morning I got to work to feed the horses and found one of our fillys had colic. Long story short, the filly was put down after nearly two hours and everyone had seen me walking her round. I had never spoken to half the people there yet, over about a week, each one said how sorry they were that we lost our little filly. It actually shocked me a bit that they were so caring and you could tell they genuinely were sorry. Like you my boss doesnt have many horses and theyre all treated like pets so it's very sad to lose one :(

niko

Visit site
I am so so sorry for your loss. I have been in that position as a racing groom bringing home that lorry. It'd devastating. Racehorses are incredibly intelligent &smart. They know when u are good to them&will literally give u their heart. You have made me weep for your loss and may he run free. I hope you are OK.

NaeNae87

Visit site
All the ladies at work now think I am a bit of weirdo, having a random cry in my corner at 3pm. Thank you for telling his story.

Your boy was lucky to have someone like you in his life. He knew you cared.

My condolences to everyone in your yard. xx

amage

Visit site
Thank you all again for your very very kind words. There only is me & my oh on our yard and we are both so touched by reading the thread

Mrs B

Visit site
Oh my! I am so sorry! Tears in my eyes and both totally understand your pain and why you wanted and needed to post such a painful account. Gallop with the stars lad, and hugs to you and your OH. x