A Rant !!!

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Right I am not really a ranter but am fed up with the "What rug" threads! (not aimed at anyone in particular)

Why? How the hell does anyone know what rug to put on your horse? I have 2 horses they live side by side and are they rugged the same, of course not! They are individuals! They need individual decisions making. Lots of factors need to be taken into account. Think for yourself, you know your horse better than anyone, you make the decision about rugging!

Phew, that's better.
FDC

Austen123

Visit site
i think it is for reasurance. it's not really a "oh, other horses have this on , so should mine.." but just to compare decisions with the weather x :)

c2b

Visit site
whenever I see the "what saddle should I get for my horse" threads I get the overwhelming urge to put.......ONE THAT FITS!

Cheers RNF I feel better now. :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
I only post on them to complain about people asking "what rug are you wearing today?" - none I'm not a feckin horse :mad:

lannerch

Visit site
Particularly love the saddle threads although agree rug posts get awfully monotanous are people really that unsure of their ability to have any common sense!

Dubsie

Visit site
Same with riding hats - one that fits, and is fitted by a proberly trained hat fitter. I do actually mention this sometimes! If only the cheaper fashionable fitted my daughter's odd shaped head, we have an HS1 for her as it was the only one that fitted out of about 20 we tried. Whereas my hat seems to fit all her friends who don't have a hat, so they borrow it!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I think we should have a one day amnesty so that we can put the answers to the irritating questions that we really feel they need. My pet hates are "Has any one ever . . . ." then things like been to New York, lived in a flat, bought wellies. I have to try so hard not to say No , no-one's ever been to New York, it's completely and utterly bereft of people. NO. all flats are empty. No those rack sof wellies you see outside shops are purely for decoration.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I think we should have a one day amnesty so that we can put the answers to the irritating questions that we really feel they need. My pet hates are "Has any one ever . . . ." then things like been to New York, lived in a flat, bought wellies. I have to try so hard not to say No , no-one's ever been to New York, it's completely and utterly bereft of people. NO. all flats are empty. No those rack sof wellies you see outside shops are purely for decoration.

YES :D I think we should do that one day - no nonsense will be tolerated! :D

Ladyinred

Visit site
In the old days it was just a question of should I put THE rug on or not! Indoor rug, outdoor rug. God knows how horses survived at all. ;)

I had a fellow livery who was /is a truly lovely person. She had just one fault, every single Sunday for 4 (yes, FOUR) years, she would ask me what rug she should put on her horse. I went from treating it as a sensible question to telling myself it was quite funny.. until one sad day when I have to confess I snapped..... Fortunately we are still friends although she no longer fellow liveries.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
whenever I see the "what saddle should I get for my horse" threads I get the overwhelming urge to put.......ONE THAT FITS!

Cheers RNF I feel better now. :D

lol, yes I know what you mean and I don't bother to answer them much these days as whatever you advise they go and do the opposite anyway!
I just say to them get a saddler out now, easy way out,Oz :)

mystiandsunny

Visit site
I have 2 horses they live side by side and are they rugged the same, of course not! They are individuals!

I have five - none of them have exactly the same combo, from the bib clipped unrugged pony (who is so fat she really needs muzzling but I can't bring myself to do it in these temps!) to the 2xHW + duvet TB who still needs conditioning feed!!!

Me too!!!!

maresmaid

Visit site

Ha Ha!

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Well I have 5 and they all have med wts. No one is clipped and all are toasty and dry. Guess I'm an idiot but seriously, it's not rocket science.

The reason so many people ask is because it's a very confusing topic and no one wants to be a bad horse owner. Some people are new owners and are trying to do their best.

While horses are all individuals with individual needs, reading a post to see for clarity is helpful. With blankets, keep it simple. I don't have 5thousand pounds to but each their own wardrobe of every type of rug. They have med wts, liners, coolers, and summer sheets. Despite my obvious stupidity they survive quite well with glossy coats and don't get sick.

I thought this was a place to ask questions. Apparently you can only post if you're an expert and have no questions.

Terri

Firefly*

Visit site
No need to rant about it :) - just ignore the threads that wind you up!

I'm getting back into horse ownership after a long gap when there really wasn't the choice that's available now so I love these threads. I find what other people do with their horses interesting - doesn't necessarily mean I'll do what they do but I pick up ideas and tips here and there!

It takes all sorts to make a world and there's room for everyone here!

mulledwhine

Visit site
Dons hard hat :D

To be fair, most people are just asking to make sure they are on the right track, not everyone is on livery or has someone to ask, so try use this forum as a ' friend'

At least that applies to me :)

Austen123

Visit site
Well I have 5 and they all have med wts. No one is clipped and all are toasty and dry. Guess I'm an idiot but seriously, it's not rocket science.

The reason so many people ask is because it's a very confusing topic and no one wants to be a bad horse owner. Some people are new owners and are trying to do their best.

While horses are all individuals with individual needs, reading a post to see for clarity is helpful. With blankets, keep it simple. I don't have 5thousand pounds to but each their own wardrobe of every type of rug. They have med wts, liners, coolers, and summer sheets. Despite my obvious stupidity they survive quite well with glossy coats and don't get sick.

I thought this was a place to ask questions. Apparently you can only post if you're an expert and have no questions.

Terri

this was really well put. and i agree.

i understand how every horse has their own needs and i totally respect that. however, some people (like me) worry all the time if they are ok in their rugs and do about 20 checks haha. so it's nice to know what others have on so u dont feel as bad and worry less ect to know others have put on similar rug with the similar clip and area u are in x :)