A sad story

cornwallexracers

Visit site
Just mooching about on the internet as i do, I came across this story which really brought a tear to my eye, I know its in america and I don't really know what if anything we could do to help these poor horses, but I though you guys would probably want to read it. It just seems incredible that horses that are as young as 1 and pregnant mares get sent to slaughter in America. Out of 44 horses packed into the vehicle only 25 and a donkey survived the crash, but lets hope this charity is able to provide them with a home for the rest of their days.

If you click on the link to sponsor an injured horse online you'll see the horses that they are caring for.

Missouri Horse accident

the watcher

Visit site
What seems incredible to me is that there are only three slaughterhouses in such a massive country.

I think that the cruellest thing you can do to any animal is to transport it hundreds, if not thousands of miles, in poor conditions, to be slaughtered. I don't have an issue with humane slaughtering, or consumption of horse meat.

If there is a market for horse meat, then there should be at least one licenced slaughterhouse in each state to cut down on travelling, they can go onward on the hook.

As for providing these badly injured animals with a home for the rest of their day, that is just sentimental piffle, clearly some will never recover and will require pain mangement, and to prolong their lives is just selfish

Blizzard

Visit site
how awful
frown.gif

harvgj19

Visit site
You will be pleased to hear there is an end in sight! The House recently passed a bill on banning the slaughter of horses for human consumption in America. Now they have to pass it through Senate, but it has already been adopted, which is a good sign, as many thought it wouldn't even get past the House. Here's a link to some info

http://www.saplonline.org/Alerts/091506.htm

watcherathome

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You will be pleased to hear there is an end in sight! The House recently passed a bill on banning the slaughter of horses for human consumption in America. Now they have to pass it through Senate, but it has already been adopted, which is a good sign, as many thought it wouldn't even get past the House. Here's a link to some info

http://www.saplonline.org/Alerts/091506.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

But doesn't that mean they will have to travel live even further to be exported for slaughter?
frown.gif

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I have to agree with the watcher, no problem with slaughter for meat, just the travelling. Perhaps the bigger problem is with indescriminate breeding, thus horses that no-one wants. Also agree about it not being such a good idea to keep injured animals for life, depending on the quality of life, which I feel is much more important than the quantity.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What seems incredible to me is that there are only three slaughterhouses in such a massive country.

I think that the cruellest thing you can do to any animal is to transport it hundreds, if not thousands of miles, in poor conditions, to be slaughtered. I don't have an issue with humane slaughtering, or consumption of horse meat.

If there is a market for horse meat, then there should be at least one licenced slaughterhouse in each state to cut down on travelling, they can go onward on the hook.

As for providing these badly injured animals with a home for the rest of their day, that is just sentimental piffle, clearly some will never recover and will require pain mangement, and to prolong their lives is just selfish

[/ QUOTE ]

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE - Thank god someone has some sense. The reality is more pet horses are killed on the roads in the US, than meat horses.

[ QUOTE ]
But doesn't that mean they will have to travel live even further to be exported for slaughter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mexico is not that much further, but getting legislation pushed through that will regulate the industry is clearly not going to happen there.

This is much like your ban on fox hunting - it is supported by uneducated morons who lack the cognitive ability to analyze the consequences. Unfortunately both of our governments are full of these types.

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
yes iread that as i visit an american site often did you know they were in a double decker trialler-- apparantly they use double deckers hence why so many horses on one trialer--

sad story the ones that suvived the vets had them place in homes

they have huge problems over there they have feedpens and kill pens the hhorses arnt looked after like over here at a market sale --kinda bring back a lot from the old days horse have huge wounds and things some are babies some are tbs that have earnt heaps on a race track--

the rescue centers do what they can but an awful lot and i mean an awful lot get transported live and compact
breaks my heart when i read stories as i can tell you thats one of many--

i hope it gets banned over there-- but then i hope it get banned in the associated countries around the usa to..

its not like here as each state has its own rules and by laws for each area--but i hope this ones is a national one for usa