A sad tale

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
This is also why I hate all the macho crap about 'real world/street/tactical/land shark' dogs trained by internet showboaters who don't have a clue about genetics or nerve or drives.
Well done lads, this is what you can get, a dog which can't walk through a park without getting triggered by a kid doing kid things.
I'll stick to my 'imaginary' , wishy washy sports dogs, one of whom snored through the visit of a workman last week.

Clodagh

Visit site
That’s really so sad. You cannot imagine how terrifying it must have been for all concerned.
I imagine shouting sit in German as it ragged the girl would have made absolutely no difference whatsoever. Which rescue was it? No reputable one would surely risk that.
I hope they get massively sued and wake up to what they are doing.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I saw this elsewhere, so sad and totally irresponsible on behalf of Many Tears, but I've heard quite a few dodgy stories about them. It's annoyed me all the people jumping on the bandwagon about protection dogs all being trained by cruelty , can't live as normal dogs etc etc. As you and I both know CC there are plenty of dogs who do protection work who also live as part of the family, as you say far too many people thinking its macho to have a mean street dog.

Wishfilly

Visit site
It sounds like the rescue made a mistake rehoming this dog to someone who would have to take it into a place like this to exercise it. Possibly the dog could have had a happy life rehomed with somebody who had private land and expertise with this type of dog.

I think the new owner was possibly also a bit irresponsible taking it so close to a child when it sounds like he had been warned about this situation- perhaps he was naive or misled by the rescue.

It sounds like a terrifying situation that could possibly have been prevented by all involved.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Poor girl. ?

It's that life at all costs things again. A dog that is "not good" with children to that level should not be being rehomed and should probably be being PTS. Unless there are very special circumstances. But frankly, just no... the new owners probably said all the right things then thought it was OK to take it to a country park! They are responsible ultimately but the rescue could have completely prevented it by either refusing to take the dog for rehoming or by PTS after assessment. The previous owners could also have had the dog PTS

But people can't bear to PTS... we must have our happy ending. We must preserve life. Not a happy ending for that little girl though is it?

babymare

Visit site
Poor girl. ?

It's that life at all costs things again. A dog that is "not good" with children to that level should not be being rehomed and should probably be being PTS. Unless there are very special circumstances. But frankly, just no... the new owners probably said all the right things then thought it was OK to take it to a country park! They are responsible ultimately but the rescue could have completely prevented it by either refusing to take the dog for rehoming or by PTS after assessment. The previous owners could also have had the dog PTS

But people can't bear to PTS... we must have our happy ending. We must preserve life. Not a happy ending for that little girl though is it?
100% agree. There are times when PTS is not only the common sense path but the kindnes. So bloody sad ?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I saw this elsewhere, so sad and totally irresponsible on behalf of Many Tears, but I've heard quite a few dodgy stories about them. It's annoyed me all the people jumping on the bandwagon about protection dogs all being trained by cruelty , can't live as normal dogs etc etc. As you and I both know CC there are plenty of dogs who do protection work who also live as part of the family, as you say far too many people thinking its macho to have a mean street dog.

Has Many Tears been identified as the Rescue who rehomed the dog?

Odyssey

Visit site
The rehoming centre should face consequences for rehoming a dangerous dog, this was sadly completely preventable. Maybe then they wouldn't rehome dogs such as this in future. They must know that people will say the right things to get the dog they want, but many will not follow the instructions they're given. There are plenty of dogs in rescue struggling to find homes that don't lose a risk to people, why they would choose to rehome one that's known to be aggressive is completely beyond me.

skinnydipper

Visit site
In my opinion he should never have been rehomed to a pet home.

Trained protection dog, strong guarding instinct, high drive, no good with kids, ?dog aggressive - needed to be only dog.

The average owner looking for a laid back companion to enjoy a relaxing dog walk with wouldn't have a clue.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Wishfilly

Visit site
He should never have been rehomed to a pet home.

Trained protection dog, strong guarding instinct, high drive, no good with kids, ?dog aggressive - needed to be only dog.

The average owner looking for a laid back companion to enjoy a relaxing dog walk with wouldn't have a clue.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It almost sounds like they were potentially looking to rehome him as a guard dog from that video- which I'm not sure is something a rescue should be engaging with?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Oh, good grief, so they rehomed that to a new owner who walked the dog in a public area? They deserve to be prosecuted - that was a guard dog who should never have been out in public. They should never have rehomed him to that guy.

Poor child and poor dog.

It almost sounds like they were potentially looking to rehome him as a guard dog from that video- which I'm not sure is something a rescue should be engaging with?
True, the video sets out what the dog is, then they rehome him to a clueless member of the public? Gross negligence. The rescue is completely out of their depth.

SAujla

Visit site
Why was it off lead in the first place? I'm assuming it was loose and its very shocking from he rescue to how it was rehomed

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
In fairness to MT, just because a dog is a certain breed of dog, like a Malinois, doesn't mean it will bite.
There is a dedicated breed rescue for Malinois/crosses/dogs of that ilk, which tries to link up dogs to security or working homes, but they are very experienced with those breeds and have good connections in those breeds and in that industry.
None would have probably considered doing so with a dog of that age, though.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
A Dutch Herder x bull breed is not a dog for a pet home full stop, never mind one that is trained in protection. They have let this dog down badly and the person they rehomed to and as for the poor child it attacked words fail me. They should at the very least have told him to muzzle it in public. Appalling piece of misjudgement.