A saturday night rug ponder..

Elsiecat

Visit site
Ok bare with me here -
if we exclude what I like to class as 'special rugs' - eg. fly rugs, coolers, exercise sheets, show rugs etc etc.
Lets just look at T/O and stable here for this ramble.

Say I had a Lightweight T/O and a Medium weight stable - would they using either or, or a combination of both - work for all possible (within reason) occasions?
Eg -
stable:
winter - t/o + stable
spring/autum - stable
summer - t/o

field:
winter - stable with t/o on top
summer - t/o

Yes, no?
I really hope not anyway or I've wasted a lot of money.
I hope this is follow-able :eek::rolleyes:

Honey roasted ribs to all :)

eggs

Visit site
Is your turnout a no fill rain sheet or a thin turnout? I find that many of the no fill rain sheets leak in heavy rain so this may be a problem.

In general I prefer not to use more than one rug unless it is ver cold. The problem is that the under rug often slips a bit and ends up hanging down below the t/o on one side so getting getting wet and muddy.

However I these are the only rugs you have then it could work.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Is your turnout a no fill rain sheet or a thin turnout? I find that many of the no fill rain sheets leak in heavy rain so this may be a problem.

In general I prefer not to use more than one rug unless it is ver cold. The problem is that the under rug often slips a bit and ends up hanging down below the t/o on one side so getting getting wet and muddy.

However I these are the only rugs you have then it could work.

Hadn't thought about the inside one slipping and getting wet..

No I have quite a lot of rugs, I was just looking at more and had a little ponder :eek:

flirtygerty

Visit site
I have 2 horses both unclipped, 1 10yr old good doer unrugged in or out, 1 18 yr old Arthritic WB, she is in a MW TO, if in because temps are mild, just a wicking rug, she's toasty warm in both and just started to lose weight as they have trashed their turnout field, both are ready for their only feed and hay given at night, if the weather turns cold, I will up the hay and put my mare in a HW TO and a fleece for indoors, in my experience, it's better to under rug than overug, feed to what they need, not what they will eat.
Hope that makes sense

Ambers mum

Visit site
My I clipped native 17 year old has a light weight rain sheet on. My section D has a heavy weight rug on because she has no coat what so ever co spidering her breed. Section A has a full neck light weight on basically because he has sweatitch and they midges are still about up here.

Sol

Visit site
We used to use extra rugs under turnout rugs - I'd just say only use very well fitting rugs, and make sure your under rug is SHORT (in depth) to help avoid the lower edges getting muddy/wet :) But I think in theory, it could work

Theocat

Visit site
You're over complicating it, but yes, it could be done like that - LW TO for most things, with a layer underneath when it gets colder, and no rug at all in summer. Realistically, though, it wouldn't work - the horse might need more warmth, the rugs would get damaged or dirty ...

mcnaughty

Visit site
Personally I think you are far better of getting 2 or 3 good quality turnout rugs of various weights and forgetting about pyjamas for horses. They don't care if their rugs are changed at night and in fact I think it is nicer for them to stay in a rug that is warm and dry on the inside rather than changing into cold damp rugs in the morning. The turnouts dry much more effectively on the horse than off if you know what I mean.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Decent light weight NZ of 100 gms that is high dernier with detachable neck and two 100gm PE liners and one 200 liner. And a decent no fill lightweight rug. These are all my horse needs.

He has as spares a medium and heavy weight NZ but hasn't worn them yet.

diddydavies

Visit site
This was my quandry last year, my solution was to buy a rambo with detachable neck and a 100g liner. Ron managed perfectly in this all winter and i only upgraded to a heavier liner for the really bad weather. He loved it, stayed warm and dry outside and was just as cosy in the stable.

I couldn't always get to bring him in and so it was easier for my 76yr old.

Kat

Visit site
If you want to do it that way buy rugs with attachments for underrugs so they don't slip. Something like the premier equine trio or Rambo duo.

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
I'd be tempted to use breathable turnouts as your underug - then if it does get wet etc its not going to matter.

Tbh ive got a couple ive used before at shows when you dont know if the stable will leak.