A shamrock update!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I love Wocket Woy, but that's a very big and very incompetent learner rider for that poor little ex flat racer with no substance to carry :(

Now that I've seen the rider and horse, I've got even less of a sense of humour about the first video. Only a fool would hack out on a horse like that when he can't even ride. He's lucky the horse is such a saint and didn't just gallop home and leave him with a broken neck.

Sorry, Ester.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I thought as much as anything that video confirms to some that it wasn't a scam, just a very novice rider and I can totally understand how it happened now. Hopefully he is at a yard he has some access to help/other horses etc.

Shavings

Visit site
Can i just say well done to the gentleman for getting some help, some people feel embarrassed to ask for help and this is often more men then women (not always!)

he clearly cares for the horse as he has a nice stable and a lovely clean coat, ok so he may have over horsed him self but with the right help and time i am sure they would make a winning combination.

only think i can see if when the gentleman applies the rein contact to halt Shamrock opens his mouth, maybe needs a visit from dentist?

love Wonkey Woy always makes me giggle!

got to look at the positives in every thing :)

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Its more appropriate to put this on youtube. Idiot owner should find a nice home for Shamrock before he is ruined. Then spend a few months riding every day under instruction learning to ride a horse.
Then buy a weight carrier.

ester

Visit site
Well he isn't the owner. And I don't think responsible for the horse's day to day care or if someone tells him he can ride their horse experienced to know if that is a good idea or not :p Lets not bash the novice who has been brave enough to put himself out there too much :rolleyes3:

I don't understand what you mean by more appropriate?

I do think fair play to him as going by his youtube he didn't know wocket woy existed until last week so presumably agreed to go ahead with this after contact from them.

Last edited:

ester

Visit site
I'm not sure I find them particularly funny, I appreciate what they have done for the image of racehorses not being nuts though.

ester

Visit site
Err it was fairly obvious from the screen shot what it was, if you really don't like them you didn't have to watch it!!

meleeka

Visit site
I thought it was entertaining. :) You just can't judge someone based on a four minute video. For all we know that was totally set up for the camera (he didn't look as if he'd even be able to canter in this one).

ycbm

Visit site
Is anyone else unhappy about the number of inexperienced riders who will now think that the way to stop an ex racer is to sit back, stick your legs forward and pull on its mouth?

I can't credit the guy for 'getting help', sorry, because that is not any kind of help that he needs. I think it was just done for a YouTube stunt. Wocket Woy is not exactly camera shy.

Poor, poor horse.

shirl62

Visit site
I just thought it was a bit of tongue in cheek humour which made me smile a little in this otherwise miserable morning..

Shirl

stormox

Visit site
I think WW makes horse riding fun again. Too many people these days are obsessed with being 'on the bit', 20m circles, rosettes, forcing horses into an 'outline' worrying if their horse has ulcers, or kissing spines, worrying about supplements, hard feed and rug weight, whittling about body protectors and which hat- people a few years back just got on and rode, messed about and had fun, especially kids, bareback in a halter, playing cowboys or stuntmen..............WW brings the fun back.

rara007

Visit site
I think WW makes horse riding fun again. Too many people these days are obsessed with being 'on the bit', 20m circles, rosettes, forcing horses into an 'outline' worrying if their horse has ulcers, or kissing spines, worrying about supplements, hard feed and rug weight, whittling about body protectors and which hat- people a few years back just got on and rode, messed about and had fun, especially kids, bareback in a halter, playing cowboys or stuntmen..............WW brings the fun back.

This all over! I'm pretty sure even inexperienced riders realise it's not a serious genuine training video, they're inexperienced riders not stupid!

ycbm

Visit site
This all over! I'm pretty sure even inexperienced riders realise it's not a serious genuine training video, they're inexperienced riders not stupid!

Well judging by the number of experienced riders I see who don't realise that sitting back, pushing your legs forward and hauling on the horse's mouth isn't the way to get a horse, never mind an ex racer, to stop, I don't share your confidence!

Fun is all very well, but that little horse carrying that huge lumpen novice isn't having fun :(

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
That was ghastly. The beginner rider is not ready have been allowed to ride off the lunge on any horse let along a lightweight tb like Shamrock. How on earth was he allowed to hack him out, that was a disaster ready to happen.

I hated the show bizzy clip with WW in Shamrocks's stable, he was loud and waving his arms about, very unhorsy.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Is anyone else unhappy about the number of inexperienced riders who will now think that the way to stop an ex racer is to sit back, stick your legs forward and pull on its mouth?

I can't credit the guy for 'getting help', sorry, because that is not any kind of help that he needs. I think it was just done for a YouTube stunt. Wocket Woy is not exactly camera shy.

Poor, poor horse.

How many inexperienced riders are likely to have access to an ex-racer without someone supervising close!y? Does it really matter what anyone thinks about stopping a horse, if they don't need to do so?

rara007

Visit site
Everyone knows from Ben Hur you get a driving horse to go by flapping the reins (and consequently bit) too don't they :p

ester

Visit site

Poor, poor horse.

err I don't think was a serious attempt at 'getting help' of course it was a youtube stunt? That is what they do.

As for the hauling on a broom I'm not too worried that many people will think that the correct way to ride a horse anymore than those who think you go yah yah! and slapping the reins and flapping your legs side cowboy stylee is the right thing to do either. . .

Visit site

This. I dont tend to watch many of the WW videos but he did the world of racing good by showing that not all racehorses are lunatics and you can mess about on them. We aren't all starved, grumpy gits.

Both Shamrock videos were clearly done for show. Not to be taken seriously.

ozpoz

Visit site
It is quite funny.. I don't mind Wocket Woy, all very tongue in cheek and has helped show the other side of thoroughbreds, as others have said.

Joanna Lumley was saying recently that they wouldn't be able to do an Absolutely Fabulous now - political incorrectness is not allowed, even in satire.
Very sad.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
I don't even know who Wocket Woy is! I'd never heard of him/her/them before this thread. And no, I haven't watched the video. I didn't watch the original Shamrock video either. The comments on here were enough to convince me not to add to their YouTube hits.

Visit site
I don't even know who Wocket Woy is! I'd never heard of him/her/them before this thread. And no, I haven't watched the video. I didn't watch the original Shamrock video either. The comments on here were enough to convince me not to add to their YouTube hits.

Wocket Woy is a racehorse. That's not his real racing name. And Mattie Batchelor and Marc Goldstein - both National Hunt jockeys - take the mick on the racehorses or the kids ponies.

ester

Visit site
I did enjoy watching them jump schoooing the babies :)

Oh and mattie on the back of a scurry carriage because I know what that can feel like!

ycbm

Visit site
How many inexperienced riders are likely to have access to an ex-racer without someone supervising close!y? Does it really matter what anyone thinks about stopping a horse, if they don't need to do so?

Well, let's count.

One, this guy.

Two, girl in a wheelchair from last year.

Three, lots of people who buy an ex racer tb because they sell for£500 and it's cheaper than having lessons.

I think that's enough. It's a lot too many for comfort, for me.

I feel so sorry for that poor insubstantial little horse who barely comes up to the armpit of the hulking great unbalanced beginner who he's supposed to be teaching to ride. He's a saint of a horse and he deserves better.

ETA has anyone spotted the fit of the saddle? I very much doubt that clears his wither with a much heavier and much more unbalanced rider in it. I would not want that front arch that close to the sharp wither of a tb. It's a horrible old thinly padded saddle. This whole thing is so unfunny :(

Last edited: