A (slightly complicated) how much

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
Hi All,

I've decided to sell my horse as my new job means that I have no time to do anything with him. I'm not advertising here :) Just have no idea about prices!

Ok so he is 8 yrs old, 16.1hh gelding. He is by Dex (same stallion as Woodfalls Inigo Jones, one of Lucy W's 4* rides). He hasn't done loads competition wise for his age. I have hunted him, and he loves it:

http://www.carolineormephotography.com/viewpicture.tlx?albumid=192460&pictureid=8229560

He has done some BN and Discovery BSJA classes and has £35 actual, £9 actual winnings. (it was a while ago that he did that). I have done lots of schooling, a few dr outings (unaffiliated) lots of SJ lessons and XC schooling. I decided to send him to Phoebe Buckley to sell as I have no time and I live in Ireland and the UK market is better. She has been getting on really well with him and has xc schooled him and thinks he would easily get dc around a novice. We have him entered for a pn and then she plans to take him to a couple of novices. She thinks that he would go intermediate fairly easily.

Now the complication is that she has already had someone interested in him after putting him on her website and they have obviously asked how much I want for him. I am clueless about how much horses are worth, and given that he hasn't actually evented yet i guess his price needs to reflect this, so my question is how much would you pay for him now, and would this price be affected by his result in one pn and 2 novices over the next few weeks(assuming he did well and went dc)?

My main priority is to get him a good home, but I'm not in a position to sell him for less than he is worth either! Sorry that ended up being a bit rambling.

Pics here: (didn't put link to video as didn't want to be accused of advertising but you'll find a video on phoebe buckleys website)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/album.php?aid=237534&id=864355645
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/album.php?aid=90614&id=864355645

homemade shortbread for making it this far, any ideas appreciated :)

diggerbez

Visit site
he's very pretty :D
its a tricky one really. given his lack of experience personally i wouldn't pay a lot for him. HOWEVER, thats me...other people would...especially if he's being sold through a pro. i;d be tempted to ask for about 10k. if they like him they'll pay it ;) what does PB think?

bigboyrocky

Visit site
I would pay around £7-8k for him if i had the money, but due to lack of competition record, probably not alot more. If he had done well around his first few PN's, and maybe done a novice then i think you could ask £12k for him, and the more he does, the price could increase acordingly. Hes a very smart chap! Just my type :)

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I agree that given his lack of experience, his scope alone is not worth more than you both suggested (and probably less even). PB and I only really discussed what he would possibly be worth after competing abit as that was when the plan was to sell him. We were abit surprised to have some interest already! I'm in no huge rush to sell him so we've decided to stick with the plan for now and see how he goes. Fingers crossed he is good!