A slightly different hat post..

pixie

Visit site
When riding horses, I always wear hats, however I have never worn a helmet when riding on my bike even if its on roads/very rough terrain etc. Its never ever crossed my mind to wear one.

What's your opinion - cycling: helmet or no helmet?

frannieuk

Visit site
Ummm, I say yes to cycling helmets - however I haven't got around to buying one yet
blush.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
When I was younger always did, roads definetly, I kind of stopped cycling then not sure whether I would now

I was really interested in that survey that showed drivers go closer to those wearing helmets than those without

GTs

Visit site
In the US it is law (under 17) - my friend was actually the one to petition it after he got plowed by a car, in a coma for numerous weeks, etc.

katelarge

Visit site
Yes! When I had my horse up the road I had to cycle to do him every day, 5 miles in all on a very fast A road with blind bends. There was no way I'd not ride that road in a helmet.

PS driving instructor told me of a friend who had lost his son. Him and his son were cycling on a tandem while on holiday on Wales. Kid fell off the bike with no helmet and was killed outright. If he'd had a helmet on...

jj_87

Visit site
Deffo yes! My brother is a semi proffesional road cyclist he fell off one day his helmet shattered luckily it wasnt his head! You never know what might happen or what someone else is going to do!

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
It's odd, in Amsterdam (I was there a couple of weekends ago) where you probably see more cyclists then anywhere else, no-one wears a cycling helmet. Of course, they have many lanes uniquely for cyclists, so less danger of collision with a car. It's the pedestrians who need the body amour there because the cyclists go around like manics and don't slow down for people on foot!

In France, almost every cyclist does wear a helmet, because it's fashionable to do so, and you look the part for the Tour de France!