A solution for my dressage phase problem

Mbronze

www.cheshirehorsetaxi.weebly.com
I usually score in the high 20's, but the main comment I am receiving at BE is -

Needs to be more consistent in the contact and needs to work over her back more.

Does anybody have any useful exercises or tips to help with these problems. :)

be positive

Visit site
Not too much of a problem,most people would be very happy with consistently in the 20s.
One thing i feel doesnt get used enough and is extremely beneficial for contact and straightness,thus more softness over the back,is counter canter.
Loops in correct cc will help as to be really correct the rider must maintain a consistent contact,as the cc becomes more established it will improve the true canter and the trot.

kerilli

Visit site
umm, lots of transitions both within paces and between paces, lots of lateral work to get her working over her back more. also, a good rein back to trot to get that really good 'up' trot to give you more to work with.
for the consistency in the contact - difficult to say without seeing it, but does she move her mouth too much (slightly uncomfy there perhaps?) or her head (are your hands moving slightly more than she likes?) or is her balance varying slightly and it is showing at the front end?

Mbronze

www.cheshirehorsetaxi.weebly.com
Thanks for the tips bp, I'll give that a try.

Kerilli, the problem seems to be mostly in keeping my hands still as she likes to drop behind the contact and then when she is actually in the contact i tend to give a little with the rein if that makes sense?

Feisty Mare

Visit site
Perhaps a slightly different idea - as it's not a ridden exercise - but might be worth lunging long and low (draw reins over back between legs and through to bit arrangement) as this will encourage stretching over the back and seeking the contact. This did help my horse become stronger over the back and then more consistent in the contact, and willing to take the contact forwards, as when he came to be he used to frequently drop behind the vertical.

kerilli

Visit site
Thanks for the tips bp, I'll give that a try.

Kerilli, the problem seems to be mostly in keeping my hands still as she likes to drop behind the contact and then when she is actually in the contact i tend to give a little with the rein if that makes sense?

Ah, right. well, kirstyhen's suggestion of upside-down hands (i was taught that it is called 'Spanish fingers') is good for teaching a softer consistent contact. or, keeping hands totally upright (avoiding the dreaded 'piano hands') really helps too, and keeping elbows soft (allowing torso to go between the elbows, kind of thing). i think you have to keep in mind that YOU not the horse determines the weight of the contact, you can lighten it once it's secure but the horse must stay 'in' it, it's not up to the horse to give it away etc, so you need to keep elbows heavy and fluid so you can follow the horse's mouth instantly. the way i have been taught, the inside rein is always the constant-contact rein, the outside rein is for sending signals, allowing, softening etc. so, the inside rein is kept secure (weight decided by me not horse!) rather like drawing a bow - you won't get anything if you give it away completely, if that makes sense. sorry if that's not relevant though! i find the mental image of the loop of rider's arm, hand, rein, the bit, other rein, other hand, other arm, across shoulders, in a continual elastic loop, works well too for some riders...

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Two great methods for keeping your hands still are one - having your elbows really close to your sides almost clamping them and having your hands wide. It is quite a painful process at first but it really pays off and also for a visual thing have your little fingers outstretched towards your d rings and keep them there. My hands are so much better on the flat since being solidly drilled on this.

I have been also drilled in getting my horse into a better contact - he is very uphill and its about me being very strict in sending him forwards into a solid contact and I can only soften in my hands when he is consistent in the contact and going forwards into it. All the time I am riding I am thinking inside leg, outside rein. Loads of shoulder fore to keep the hind legs active and him soft.

BTW I call it frying pan hands - I have to jump with frying pan hands to keep my elbows soft.