A Summer of Scarlett

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I am in the hugely lucky position of having a loan pony for the summer!! A 15.2 Welsh D mare. She has been here a week and has slotted straight into a routine of riding every morning, out overnight and in during the day. She was described as not very good at hacking, but we have schooled, jumped and hacked and she has not put a foot wrong anywhere. She has a funny sort of internal spook - like surge of energy suddenly going through her but no movement. Better than the external versions! She flaps her lips when hungry or impatient and seems full of character. Here's to a lot of pony fun over the summer!

200865297_4121370647942985_9214166485351857650_n.jpg

202926036_4121370627942987_7336816025669416528_n.jpg

Caol Ila

Visit site
How did you find her? She sounds ideal. And you found her fairly quickly after selling Toby.

I'm looking for a buy or loan situation for a riding horse, but would want a loan horse to move to my yard. Had a line on a cob at a local rescue that sounded ideal, but then they said yesterday that he isn't available anymore. Still going to look at a "buzzy" TB at the rescue. It might be fine. It might be a nutbar, and the foal situation is nutty enough without a second horse who's totally insane. But one man's "buzzy" is another man's plod and all that. Still, I'm keeping an eye open for other options.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
CI, A friend tagged me in a FB post after I sold Toby. The owner is a dairy farmer and 'lost' May because of all the rain and is so behind on silage making that she has no time for Scarlett just now. So it was a choice between turn away to get fat, or loan her out. Lucky for me they chose loaning and were willing to let her move. We have mutual friends which helps on the trust front in both directions. She knows I am a responsible horse owner and I know she will be honest about the horse.

Bernster

Visit site
I shall follow your welshie exploits with much interest! And a little self interest too. I’m getting used to Bertie (Welsh X) - my ins really likes welshies, I’ve never really thought about them or known one before, so am hoping to learn and enjoy getting to know him! Have fun with your lovely girl.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
A few more 'firsts'. First full round of show jumps. Clear at 60, 4 faults at 70. But happy with that. Little clip of the rounds.

Then our first canter in open spaces today. Nice and controlled for the first one. Then forward seat and fast for the 2nd one. She was good as gold both times. Still waiting for a problem to arise but so far all good. Settled, well behaved, contented, fun!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
It is going to be hard to send her back at the end of the summer! You make a lovely partnership.

It's going to be SOOOOO hard. I need to be very careful to keep some sort of emotional distance from her. But I really, really like her. There is zero chance of the owner selling or extending though. So I need to be realistic about that!