A Summer of Scarlett

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Well Scarlett gatecrashed a Somerford camp I was running when we had an on the day cancellation. Katie was working the weekend for me and nicked her a few times to play. The on Sunday when I had a bit more time, I also rode. She was just fab. I love this mare. I am not sure what it is about chemistry with a horse, but for all his lovely nature and heart of gold, I feel more bonded to Scarlett after a few weeks than I did with Toby the whole year. And she's not even mine!

Had a jumping lesson too yesterday and it is feeling so much better. We are much more together and I am letting her travel which I am sure she thinks is an improvement....

First SJ comp in about 2 weeks. Eek excited.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Not really. I have never known a gelding as affectionate as Toby and Amber is very aloof. I think I like their sensitivity and cleverness. I am bemused by the comment 'Gelding or non mareish mare' on wanted ads. I'd want to put 'mare or non geldingish gelding!' I've had some lovely geldings but they have had a dullness, a stubborn streak. My good mares have been on side or p1ssed off and you know where you are. They don't just sulk randomly. And they have been clever, careful, alert, aware. Geldings just seem to missing some spark that my good mares have all had.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Not really. I have never known a gelding as affectionate as Toby and Amber is very aloof. I think I like their sensitivity and cleverness. I am bemused by the comment 'Gelding or non mareish mare' on wanted ads. I'd want to put 'mare or non geldingish gelding!' I've had some lovely geldings but they have had a dullness, a stubborn streak. My good mares have been on side or p1ssed off and you know where you are. They don't just sulk randomly. And they have been clever, careful, alert, aware. Geldings just seem to missing some spark that my good mares have all had.

I agree with you. When I lost Cassie, I told my instructor that I would only look at mares. I knew I would miss out on 50% of the horse population, but looking back, all the really special relationships I have had with horses have been with mares, and as I am limited in the number of horses I can own, I would rather stick to mares going forward. All three of the mares I have owned have been different, but they all have an underlying 'mareness' about them. Cam (my grey gelding) is like a labrador, very cuddly and affectionate, but doesn't seem to be able to think for himself!!

AandK

Visit site
She looks lovely, I hope you continue to have lots of fun!

Although I have to disagree on the comments above about mare vs gelding... I've had one mare (sadly no longer with us) and currently have two geldings. No1 is 24yo, owned since 5yo, he is very clever but you could say aloof as he can take or leave affection, but nowhere near dull! Was so lovely to work with riding (now retired), although he had a very spooky streak! No2 is 8yo, owned since 6yo and he has bags of personality, is very affectionate, very impatient! But again very clever and great to work with, also quite cheeky. Hot but not stupid or spooky, he definitely has a spark and something special about him. Both are TB, the younger one an exracer, so maybe that makes a difference.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've had a fair few geldings but my favourite horses have been mares. they've just been more switched on. I did think that probably if Hera had been a colt I'd learn to know it inside out from the start and have the opportunity to shape its experiences so while I am super chuffed she was a filly I think I'd have enjoyed another gelding.

The 2 I have at the moment are definitely not the sharpest tools in the box though, haha.

Scarlett looks fab :)

Ambers Echo

Visit site
She looks lovely, I hope you continue to have lots of fun!

Although I have to disagree on the comments above about mare vs gelding... I've had one mare (sadly no longer with us) and currently have two geldings. No1 is 24yo, owned since 5yo, he is very clever but you could say aloof as he can take or leave affection, but nowhere near dull! Was so lovely to work with riding (now retired), although he had a very spooky streak! No2 is 8yo, owned since 6yo and he has bags of personality, is very affectionate, very impatient! But again very clever and great to work with, also quite cheeky. Hot but not stupid or spooky, he definitely has a spark and something special about him. Both are TB, the younger one an exracer, so maybe that makes a difference.

Maybe they are 'non geldingish geldings'! Of course there must be loads of intelligent, sensitive geldings. But my favourite horses have been mares and my least favourite, geldings. I find it hard to put my finger on why. I was told years ago that geldings were 'easier' so I always assumed I would prefer a gelding. So I had no preconceived ideas that I liked mares. They just informed me of that themselves over time. I still would not turn down a gelding though, if the right one came along.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
one of the smartest (as in clever and quick witted) horses i ever rode was a gelding so they are definitely out there :) i hunted him for a season as his owner was off games, and event groomed him for many and he was one of my favourite ever rides. But all of mine have been a bit slow compared to my mares. the 2 i have now are sensitive but not as smart.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Sensitive isn't quite the right words.... Toby was sensitive in a slightly annoying, needy way. Whereas Scarlett is sensitive in an alert, aware way. Maybe 'tuned in' is a better phrase. To me, to stuff out there. Scarlett grew 10 feet and snorted flames when she first saw the pivo perched on a mounting block n the middle of the arena. Then the 2nd time it looked quite different as it was now on a tripod but she ignored it completely. "Meh, seen that before'. Whereas I have known geldings spook at the same boulder every single day. And Dolly isn't sensitive but she still has that 'mare' spark. My top 3 of all time - Amber, Dolly, Jenny - were as different from each other as they could reasonably be (while all being safe, hard working kind horses) but they all had something special about them. They all took charge - in a good way. Dolly sorts her striding and feet out and jumps her rider out of trouble, Jenny looks after her rider to the extent of refusing to canter if she had a wobbly novice on top, slowing i fyou lose a stirrup or stopping after a jump to save an off balance rider, and Amber always knew best in all situations! I can see why that could go wrong but I love that about them all.

J&S

Visit site
You can't beat a mare with a bit of attitude! My NF mare definitely was always in charge of a situation, always knew best and yet was the most wonderful partner in all respects.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Well that was unexpected..... I sent a picture of a horse I liked the look of to my RI. She rang me and said I should buy Scarlett. I said that I'd love to but for the small matter of her not being for sale..... but apparently the owner spoke to my RI to see how it was going and my lovely RI said Scarlett was settled and happy and we were getting on great. And then she asked my RI to ask if I wanted her. To which the answer is YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

I am having her vetted for insurance and peace of mind. But I can't imagine there being an issue really. Not a sale ending one anyway. So that's my news. The summer romance that ended in marriage :p:p:p

Hello You

210928621_4165544003525649_2044750249372603244_n.jpg

208348478_4165544140192302_1947036017883856073_n.jpg

208794040_4150798111666905_6752475905628623045_n.jpg

208927549_4150796011667115_3732115232949753539_n.jpg

SO1

Visit site
You too look perfect together and what a happy outcome too.

Well Scarlett gatecrashed a Somerford camp I was running when we had an on the day cancellation. Katie was working the weekend for me and nicked her a few times to play. The on Sunday when I had a bit more time, I also rode. She was just fab. I love this mare. I am not sure what it is about chemistry with a horse, but for all his lovely nature and heart of gold, I feel more bonded to Scarlett after a few weeks than I did with Toby the whole year. And she's not even mine!

Had a jumping lesson too yesterday and it is feeling so much better. We are much more together and I am letting her travel which I am sure she thinks is an improvement....

First SJ comp in about 2 weeks. Eek excited.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.