A Summer of Scarlett

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Vetting is tomorrow. Wish me luck because Scarlett has been even more mega this week. Farm ride at Somerford and she FLEW. I jumped a few biggish jumps behind Dolly and a few smallish ones in front and she was just fab.

Then we had a really good dressage lesson with a new trainer. I will brave some pics because they are better than they were and in a few more weeks I hope I can post even better ones.....
I am so, so nervous I keep thinking that I should cancel the vetting and just buy her. Vettings are unreliable. But I can still buy her anyway and all info is good, surely?

213246566_4179477912132258_2070654945966095888_n.jpg

214801260_4179478002132249_675353193297478556_n.jpg

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Current owner bought her unbacked direct from the breeder and so she has never been vetted. So I want things like eyes and heart tested. Plus Tiddlypom has got me worried about lameness as the saddle slips to the right! I have rarely vetted and never regretted not vetting. We now know Jenny would have failed and are so grateful we did not vet her as we could have missed out out the most amazing pony. I will make it clear to the vet that I am pragmatic and am not remotely looking for excuses to fail!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
eyes and heart are very important IMO, you would be able to tell if she felt lame, i stopped the vetting on my last horse as she was 2/10 lame on lunge circle on hard surface and i had noticed that her feet were overdue for shoeing and made a judgement with my vets input. i only wanted her for hacking and low level dressage and she was fine for that but i dont think she would have been if i had been eventing so you need to bear in mind what you want her for....good luck,

JGC

Visit site
Fingers crossed! The only one of mine I vetted had the most sick notes :cool: But, yes just be clear with the vet what you're looking for and that you've been trialling all summer.

Zuzan

Visit site
. ............. Plus Tiddlypom has got me worried about lameness as the saddle slips to the right! ..........

In my experience this is often related to lopsided muscle development .. all horses like humans have a stronger side which is "shorter" (think of the longitudinal nature of horses muscles along their backs) and a weaker longer side which also tend to be / feel lower .. hence saddle slipping to one side.

You can often see a difference in musculature over the shoulders too, if you stand on a mounting block directly behind the horse (safety issues considered) ..

these issues can normally be addressed through schooling .. worth talking to your instructure if you haven't already about this.

ETA you both look ace and very well matched .. all the best

Last edited:

Roxylola

Visit site
If nothing else the vetting makes sure you're buying with full awareness. Hopefully all goes well for you though

Ambers Echo

Visit site
No she hasn't passed today though could possibly pass later on. It's not clear cut. I am gutted. And unsure what to do as I could still buy her but it feels like potentially walking into more heartache down the line. As a courtesy to the owner I won't discuss the vet's views or here though. Thanks for all the well wishes. I had the champagne in the fridge ready for tonight to toast my new horse. But not to be for today. She has already given me a massive gift though in showing me that there is room in my heart for another horse. I thought I struggled to connect with Toby just because he wasn't Amber as there was nothing wrong with him! He was lovely. So that made me wonder whether i would really connect with any horse again. But Scarlett made me excited and happy in a way I have not felt since Amber first went lame in January 2019. So tears tonight but hope for the future. x

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Aww, shame that it wasn't the straightforward fairy tale ending today, but glad you are still feeling positive x

Chuffy99

Visit site
I’m really sorry it’s not the dream ending, just seems so many horses have soundness problems even ones that appear A1

Roxylola

Visit site
Gutted for you. Tricky decision now how to proceed - for what it's worth, I think we're storing up future heartache with any horse but I also think it's worth trying to minimise that heartache where we can.
Could you/would you, consider lowering your ambitions a little? You clearly are enjoying your time with her, if you've vetted with a view to grassroots up to 100/novice perhaps she'd be ok doing some 80s and unaffiliated maybe? Just a thought x

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
No she hasn't passed today though could possibly pass later on. It's not clear cut. I am gutted. And unsure what to do as I could still buy her but it feels like potentially walking into more heartache down the line. As a courtesy to the owner I won't discuss the vet's views or here though. Thanks for all the well wishes. I had the champagne in the fridge ready for tonight to toast my new horse. But not to be for today. She has already given me a massive gift though in showing me that there is room in my heart for another horse. I thought I struggled to connect with Toby just because he wasn't Amber as there was nothing wrong with him! He was lovely. So that made me wonder whether i would really connect with any horse again. But Scarlett made me excited and happy in a way I have not felt since Amber first went lame in January 2019. So tears tonight but hope for the future. x

I'd drink the champagne anyway, drown your sorrows. Sorry to hear this :(

JGC

Visit site
Very sorry to hear this. I agree a wee drink to drown your sorrows, a good film and try to get a decent night's sleep and put off thinking about it all tomorrow. Sending you a virtual hug