A timely reminder - proper boots!

sportsmansB

Visit site
Folks

Spent last night in A&E with a friend who fell off and landed on her feet
But she landed hard (in an indoor, on a surface)
Broke both bones in her ankle
Doc said her proper leather riding boots saved her fracture being displaced
Displaced would have meant more complicated pinning / plating, a very unpleasant process to line it all up again, and longer recovery
Please, even when its super cold and you don't want to change your footwear to ride, remember that proper boots give so much more protection than Dubarrys / riding wellies / short boots not zipped up fully with no chaps.
She was riding her own horse, in a lesson, not doing anything she wasn't comfortable with.
I ride in long boots only because they are my old competition ones relegated to everyday use - but I definitely won't wear anything else again! It takes 2 mins to swop over from other footwear.

Lesson over :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i hate riding in anything other than proper long boots. I was once saved a horrible injury out hunting by my leather boots, they looked a bit worse for wear afterwards but i was only a bit bruised :)

Hope your friend is on the mend soon, what bad luck.

Visit site
I always ride in short boots and chaps at work. Which lead to my boots filling with water yesterday whilst riding out ... not fun!

I can't ride in anything other! I hate people riding in dubarrys and their multiple versions! It looks scruffy too!

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
After seeing a lady laid on the road with a broken ankle after her horse slipped and she was caught in the stirrup while wearing Dubarrys, I would never even consider riding in anything other than my proper riding boots (but then I have never ridden in anything other than proper long or short boots anyway).

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I can't wear "proper" long riding boots as I've got very short legs and they always come up way too long between ankle and knee; if I DID have a pair of long-boots, they'd have to be hand-made (and cost a fortune!).

I just had a pair of Soubirac boots stretched out to fit my calves by the bootmaker in town. He'd be able to cut down a boot that was too high, and I'm sure any other competent cobbler could do it... if you can find one these days that does anything more than glue on soles and heels.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I broke & displaced my left leg & ankle 14 years ago - was bronced off & landed running - foot ended up at a right angle to my leg 🙄

I WAS wearing boots & chaps - very nearly got on wearing Hunters as in a hurry - that last minute decision saved me from having an open fracture.

I have a plate and screws on the outside of my calf & pins inside my ankle.

Was very lucky to be in my field & not out on the road on my own & that sister in law was with me & had the presence of mind to hold up my leg til ambulance came.

Doc in casualty said that had lessened the swelling so he was able to relocate my foot and I was able to have operation the next day.

Wishing your friend a speedy recovery OP - tell her to follow all instructions she is given by Docs & Physios to the letter and not to take short cuts 🙂

GreyMane

Visit site
Here's hoping the OP's friend recovers soon and with no lasting effects.
I was wondering in these cases if the much loved boots always have to be cut off?
Do they ever manage to keep your boots intact?

sportsmansB

Visit site
I helped the ambulance guy take hers off - they had a full zip, and he said if we hadn't been there knowing exactly where the zip finishes etc, he would maybe have had to keep them on until they got to the hosp and cut them off. Her leg couldn't be moved so he couldn't see around the back to know what the zip was like.
He was able to hold her leg stable and I zipped them down (crapping myself that I would sneeze or something and hurt her more but wanting to save her ariats!!)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I hate wearing anything other than proper riding boots never wear my country boots to ride in, unfortunately they didn't save my ankle although I did have my horse fall on my leg, I also got up and walked about as I really didn't think I had done anything serious, mine was badly displaced and I had to have a plate in it, I think I was just extremely unlucky and probably made it worse by walking on it I could hear the bones crunchingo_O I they can make a huge difference to an injury so it is so worth changing into proper boots to ride.