A towing question..........

TicTac

Visit site
Is a person who has passed their driving test, but a towing test, allowed to tow a trailer with horses in with an experienced person ( who is allowed to tow) sitting next to them?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Sorry... keep re-reading tictac but I still don't get your question... do you mean "not" a towing test?

TicTac

Visit site
Sorry... keep re-reading tictac but I still don't get your question... do you mean "not" a towing test?

Sorry Tallyho, it's late and my brain is not functioning properly,

Correct, the person towing the trailer has NOT passed a towing test and for that matter neither has the passenger! ( but she is of an age where she didn't need to)

TicTac

Visit site
no it is not like being a learner driver, you need to get a license or be on an official lesson.

and how can it be classed as an official lesson? does the passenger need to be an instructor?

The reason I ask is because I want to get my facts straight before I mention it to the person concerned. Thanks

maletto

Visit site
As long as the supervising driver is entitled to tow (either grandfathered or has passed the B+E test themselves) and has been driving for 3 years then you can tow on your provisional B+E with them supervising you, no problem. (I've checked this with the driving instructor I'm taking towing lessons with because I want to be able to practice towing with my dad, who has not taken a trailer test but was driving well before 1997!)?

So tictac, the answer to your question is yes

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I'm not sure... in fact, different regions interpret the laws differently. You should go and ask ROG in the towing clinic in CR.

ROG

Visit site
SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.
All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.
The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner

Many will find that passing the once in a lifetime B+E test is their best option so here is some info on that test:-

The B+E test
No medical or theory test required
Read a number plate from a certain distance
VIDEO - Show Me Tell Me Questions - usually 5
The next three can be in any order:-
VIDEO - Reversing Exercise (old measurements) - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
VIDEO - Uncouple/couple up - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
One hour road drive - includes the independent drive and is done virtually the same as the basic car test

DISCLAIMER - I have no connection to any companies which may be featured in those videos

Misog2000

Visit site
I thought the supervising person had to have passed their test, not have grandfather rights. Will be interested to see what the legal answer actually is

ROG

Visit site
Sorry Tallyho, it's late and my brain is not functioning properly,

Correct, the person towing the trailer has NOT passed a towing test and for that matter neither has the passenger! ( but she is of an age where she didn't need to)
Stangely, I knew exactly what you were asking in your fist post - and I have not been drinking or smoking weed !! :D

ROG

Visit site
I thought the supervising person had to have passed their test, not have grandfather rights. Will be interested to see what the legal answer actually is

I already put it in this thread near the bottom of page 1

If you are looking for a law that says - A pre 1997 B+E driver CAN supervise then you will be unlucky because there is not such a law

There are laws telling a driver what they CANNOT do

==========================================

From: DVLA Email[mailto:donotreply.contactcentre@dvla.gsi.gov.uk]
Sent: 05 January 2012 08:31
To: **************
Subject: Re: Email DVLA - Drivers Form 14 (KMM2135528V52254L0KM)

Dear ************

Thank you for your email received on 3/1/12.Your email reference number is 808399

In order to drive a vehicle andtrailer under category B + E you must be supervised by a driverwith the full B + E entitlement

This can be a driver who passed adriving test before 1997 and holds full B + E.

The trailer can be laden.

You must display L plates.

I hope this helps.

Do not reply to this email. Ifyou wish to contact us again about this response then please use our ReplyForm or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/directgov/en/reply_form_drivers.html

When filling in the form the email reference number 808399 will be required.

Regards

L Hodgetts
Customer Enquiries Group
DVLA

Last edited: