A tribute to Ruby

LaurenBay

Visit site
So a week has passed since losing my beautiful Ruby.

She was an incredible little Horse with a heart of gold. I wanted to post a little tribute to her and tell you all why she was so very special.

In April 2000 I went searching for my very first Horse. I had zero confidence and all I wanted was a Horse I could walk and trot on in the school and something I could hack in walk. I really was that scared! I wanted a 15hh Bay gelding and I went to view exactly that, during him being trotted up I noticed a little skewbald mare tied up outside a stable, she was slightly underweight, no skin on part of her face and very hairy. There was something about her that I just liked so I asked if she was for sale, to which they replied she was and would suit me for what I wanted but was younger then I wanted. She was only 14.3 and 5 years old and hadn't done much of anything. She was tacked up and ridden on a teeny little un level field, owner suggested we go into the field next door which was HUGE and I immediately went into panic mode. As soon as I got into the field I just knew she would look after me and I just felt at home. I even trotted her, that was a huge deal for me and I knew she was the Horse for me. I never did try that gelding!

She came home on 3rd May. I had been collecting buckets, nets, grooming brushes from when I was a child. I now had a Horse to go with them! She settled in straight away and I began riding. It took me 2 weeks to pluck up the courage for a canter, it didn't look pretty but we did it (or she did it and I tried not to cry) we spent the next year getting to know one another, and her cheeky character started to come out. She was very smart (too smart for her own good according to my instructor) Ruby could undo a quick release knot, remove her bridle, get out of a full necked rug with all the buckles still done up, could open up the gate and bring herself (and the rest of her herd) in at any time she wanted.

We were enjoying hacking and schooling together, unfortunately my nerves began to frighten Ruby and we hit a bad patch, she began napping which included leaping, bucking and running backwards. I decided a yard move was in order to somewhere with others to hack with. We improved massively at this yard with hacking, I still had yet to canter her on a hack, I was just simply terrified of what she might do. It was at this yard that I met a lovely girl (we are still very good friends now!) and she convinced us to go XC with her, I was terrified. I was on a 6YO that had never done a XC fence, and lets face it, I was useless. None the less, we had our first canter and we managed to jump 16 jumps, this was probably my proudest moment of Ruby. She really showed me what a genuine and honest Horse she was. Despite having me on board that gave her zero confidence and to frightened to use my leg into a fence and clung on for dear life. My little Ruby jumped everything I asked.

We moved back to yard 1 with our new found confidence and hacked for hours on our own, we began to up our schooling and we started jumping. She really was fantastic. She was even giving lessons to a 3 YO child and was perfect every time.

We moved to another yard as I relocated with work. We loved it there, the hacking was incredible as was the school. We attempted some showing, we didn't always do great but other times we did very well. I remember my 1st red rosette. I was so so proud.

Unfortunately Ruby's behaviour took a drastic turn and she began to be very dangerous to ride. The vet came and diagnosed hock arthritis in both hocks. Ruby had some steroid injections and returned to work, everything was fab, I had my old trusted Ruby back. 3 months later and her behaviour started to slip again. Vet back out for steroid injections and a Tildren drip, I had another 2 months and then her behaviour declined again, this time she really did become dangerous to ride, to other road users and anyone near her. We went to Newmarket for an operation to fuse the bones as a last ditch attempt. We had 7 incredible months, in this time we went to Epping forest for rides, a sponsored ride, hours of hacking fun and playing in the stubble. Unfortunately Rubys behaviour declined again. I retired her fully in May 2017, she was field sound and incredibly happy with her new little herd and with tons of grass. 4 weeks ago Ruby's behaviour started to decline, she also looked stiff. We tried her on 2 bute a day and there was no difference in behaviour. I made the agonising and heartbreaking decision to have her PTS before the winter set in.

I can't quite believe it. The Horse that made me fall in love with Horses all over again, the Horse that took me from a nervous and fearful rider to someone who could ride confidently in an open space. The Horse who made me smile, cry, laugh, love. The Horse who was there for me when I lost loved ones, I cried into her mane often as she always cheered me up! She really was everything to me so I couldn't let her suffer just so I could continue to see her. I miss her greatly. We had an amazing 8 years together.

Goodnight my sweetheart, I can't thank you enough for everything you did.

xxx

Attachments

• ruby 1.jpg
    ruby 1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 42

newboult51

Visit site
So sorry to hear this, she looks beautiful and sounds amazing, your story is really inspiring for me as I’ve just bought a young horse who I’m a little bit scared of !

JFTDWS

Visit site
She seems like a lovely mare, who was very lucky to find you. It's always hard when we lose them - but we owe them so much for what they've given us in the time we have had with them. Particularly when they're such strong characters.

Spottyappy

Visit site
She was so fortunate to have found you, and you listened to her every time she needed you to.
So sorry your love had to end so prematurely. She sounded a lovely girl.

Reacher

Visit site
She sounds like a special horse who gave you a lot of pleasure. You gave her a good life and she was lucky to have you as an owner. RIP Ruby

BlackRider

Visit site
Ruby sounds very special and gave you such a lot of happiness. I know doing the right thing hurts so much, it does eventually get better.

thank you for sharing and RIP Ruby xx

wills_91

Visit site
Brought a lump to my throat reading this. Lost my own mare in September under simiallr circumstances and it really is heartbreaking. She sounded like a very special horse and you are a very selfless owner. Big hugs xx