A Tumble Free Tweseldown Report (& XC Boot Question)

Hattikins

Visit site
I say tumble free in reference to going splat spectacularly there last year....and getting jumped off the year before....and getting ejected at Stilemans in the dressage warm up the year before that and ending the day before it even started with a nice set of stitches in my shoulder! Basically my record at the first event of the season for the last few years has been calamitous to say the least!

So the aim was to complete tweseldown without trying to give my mum a heart attack this season! Thankfully everything slotted into place, Jack performed a nice flowing test for 34.5 which left us roughly in the top 10. He then bounced his way round the showjumping in his usually scampering style for a neat clear. Onto the XC and i was trialling a brake upgrade! From his loose ring nathe to a loose ring tom thumb and what a pleasure he was, picked up 4 time pens infact which was a surprise as he's so nippy but clearly the brakes were working!

Slipped into 7th place so a nice stress free start to the season! Nice to know he'd have picked up a 2nd had I put my foot down as I normally do, but the double clear coming home in one piece was more important on sunday! :D

Photos off video:
Jacktwesel2.jpg

Jacktwesel.jpg

Jacktwesel3.jpg

Jacktwesel4.jpg

Link to XC pics (Checked blue colours on end of 1st and start of 2nd row): http://www.johnbritterphotography.com/eventpics/tdown112/22/

Now the XC boot question: Jack has extremely sensitive fully clipped pink skinned legs, He currently doesnt wear boots for XC as they give him a rash but I've always felt he really ought to wear a pair but I'm at a loss as to what to buy him. I know that people use tubi grip to prevent skin irritation but I'd also love suggestions for ultra-light, not too stiff XC boots that don't slip down and fit horses with short cannon bones...any ideas?

Last edited:

lex2501

Visit site
Oh I do love Jack and what a brilliant solid start with the bigger goal in mind! He really is fab with those front legs isn't he! Congrats! I really look forward to following your progress this season and hoping to head over the Badminton over the GR days so can cheer you on in person :)

I'm afraid I'm no boot expert - but maybe the sheepskin lined ones? I had a set from N.E.W equine wear years ago. Not ideal as get a bit water logged but should prevent the irritation?

kerilli

Visit site
well done, that's a great first run.
i'd really recommend Ecogold boots, they're very good. no neoprene so no sweating. you'd be welcome to borrow mine to see if they are okay or if they rub, but they may be too long... the strike pads aren't long though. can measure them if you want.

be positive

Visit site
I used Premier Equine sports boots on a very thin skinned horse, they do not offer as much protection as a XC boot but will give some, they come in smaller sizes now as I did find they were a bit long.

Well done on your great start to the season.

langside

Visit site
Great start- he's so consistant isn't he what level are you aiming for this year with him? :D

Re XC boots have you ever considered bandaging then putting a XC boot over
A friend has used this on her horse 4 white socks often gets mud fever etc - I would have thought that it would cause excess heat in the legs but we were both at an event where a student was taking temp scores after xc and her horses legs were cooler than mine
not sure what type of bandages she uses but i'd describe them as a webbing sort so they allow the leg to breathe with a light weight boot over (NEW/Prolight/Trizone?)
shes never had an issue of slipping either so maybe food for thought :D

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Well done looking fantastic as always. Would a tendon boot meet in the middle i.e.protect main structures but the openness allow breathing?

NR99

Visit site
:DAs a mum I fully sympathise with yours, well done you for giving her less worry :rolleyes:

Brilliant result, good luck I'm looking forward to more Jack reports he is uber cute!

star

Visit site
i use tubigrip under Style boots anywhere sandy. If it's just grass he's ok but sand gets up under the boots and rubs as he has 4 white socks. I found most boots too long in the cannon for him but these ones fit well.

Well done for a good solid start to the season :) where's next?

WellyBaggins

Visit site
Fab report, lovely boy :)

I have a TB with 4 white socks, super sensitive to boot :rolleyes: he wears the NEW airflow xc boots with tubigrip underneath, so far, rub free :)

Rosiefan

Visit site
Well done the both of you, no need for your Mum to worry now you've got the first one out of the way :). Can't remember - have you qualified for the GR Champs again?

Hattikins

Visit site
Thank you all :) and food for thought re. boot combination suggestions, I'll have a look around and do a bit more research.

lex: Thank you! and would be lovely to see you at badders! the more support the better :D Hope your boy's leg is getting better. Are you heading to munstead?

measles: He certainly stands out, but looks a real bog pony when he's got his full winter coat!! It was just the BE90, he'll hopefully move back up to 100 after he's done the Grass Roots Champs.

Kerilli: I thought the ecogold boots looked great and bought a pair last year for him but unfortunately the medium ones are too long and the small ones are too little :( so had to send them back. So sorry about your lovely mare, my fingers are firmly crossed for her.

wildcard: He is literally the cleanest horse i know! When I clipped his legs out he refused to wee in his box for days! All through the winter he's spotless out of his own choice, funny pony!!

be positive: Thank you, I'll have a look into those and see if they could be a possibility :)

langside: He is terribly consistent but then he's 9 now and knows he job so well I guess he should be! He's just such a pleasure to take to competitions as well! and definitely interesting regarding boot combination, definitely worth considering.

LJR: Thank you and yes NEW boots i think are probably a possibility :)

S_J: Yes I think tendon boots may well be an option though one I hadn't seriously considered until you mentioned it!!

NR99: I know I do feel for her, not fun at all! I don't know how you Mums' cope, definitely get as big an adrenaline rush as we do riding!

Star: thanks for that, I'll do some more research :) Off to Munstead and then Larkhill so hopefully he'll be all set for grass roots :D

WellyBaggins: Thank you :) I'll have another look at NEW boots as they do look incredibly light, how rigid are they?

RF: Thankyou! and no hopefully not, fingers crossed! Yes qualified for grass roots again so just getting him prepped for that, he's looking fairly good at the moment so we shall see! :)

lex2501

Visit site
Billy is well and truly back on track and ready to rock and roll! I panicked a little too quickly it seems :rolleyes:

We are entered up for both Munstead and Larkhill so hopefully see you there!! :)

star

Visit site
i had the NEW light XC boots and the fronts were perfect but backs far to long for his cannons so just be aware of that. They were nice and light with plenty of protection though.

FrecklesMum

Visit site
well done re tweseldown!

Out of interest - if the horse is clearly going very well without boots and has sensitive legs, why put boots on him? if it aint broke, don't fix it!

If Lucinder Green is happy going XC without boots....

Hattikins

Visit site
Lex: so pleased to hear Billy is back and raring to go! Look forward to seeing you both at Munstead :D

Kerilli/Star: thank you, I have taken the plunge and found a discounted pair of front NEW airflow xc boots so fingers crossed they do the trick! :)

Frecklesmum: completely understand where you are coming from and am inclined to agree however the possibility of him striking into himself XC is high enough for me to feel a little protection on his front legs may just do him some good :)

only_me

Visit site
He looks fab! Congrats on the placing :D

I've never had a problem with the eskadron xc fronts rubbing, maybe they are worth a go? They are basically the same as the tendon boots but with a full cover infront :)

rising_promise

Visit site
I've got the Trizone Allsport boots for this coming season. Got them because horse has had a tendon injury and is just coming back into eventing and I wanted something extremely light and breathable. I have found them to be fantastic so far.

They are short and would definitly be worth looking at.

Well done for your first trip out. We're off to Munstead for our first event since July 2010 so very excited!!! :D

Hattikins

Visit site
t_e: yes he's a very genuine chap, but has plenty of spark and a cheeky streak in his character! Makes my life more exciting :D

o_m: Thanks :) I have a lovely pair of baby blue eskadron XC boots but sadly they slip really badly on him having never slipped on any of my other ponies so obviously don't work on his legs!!

r_p: Thank you :) Best of luck at Munstead, how exciting to be back out!

Coop

Visit site
What about Equilibrium stretch and flex brushing boots? I am not sure what breeding yours is but I have had awful trouble finding boots that don't slip down for fast work, or even trotting! I have a lw cob. He is 15.2 and he can wear the small size (would normally be a m or mw in woof), as they are stretchy you can actually fit them quite tight without them feeling tight on the leg. They are soft and breathable, they do not offer the protection of a strike pad, and I get thru 2-3 pairs a year but they are the only boots that I have found not to slip on my horse. I have tried all the makes!! I hated having to do boots up so tight but with these are so much better. I would rather he had these on than nothing, like he used to xx

Pidgeon

Visit site
Nice to see you back out and about and a trouble free first run of the season too :D
Re the XC boots, are prolites any good as although they look long the bottom bits are soft and pliable? I suffer the same with Pidge's white hind legs when doing XC. Was recommended highly putting tubigrip under his boots to prevent the hair loss from bits getting under the boots. Never had a problem with prolites slipping TBH.
Have just ordered a pair of these airoflow ones so once arrived and Pidge sound will let you know how these fair. http://www.newequinewear.co.uk/products/horse-boots-and-accessories/cross-country-boots-for-horses