A variation on when does your horse have a holiday

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Mine had 2 months off this summer and came back into work a totally different horse. He was slightly neurotic beforehand, lazy, generally not impressed with work unless it was something exciting like a fun ride. Although he still has his moments now, he's a different horse since having some time off. Much more obliging
smile.gif

He'll be getting a holiday every year now, although not 2 months each time!

MagicMelon

Visit site
It depends on what its done all year? If you feel the horse has worked hard / competed a lot etc. then I think its good for them to have a month or 2 off work. It just makes them a bit fresher afterwards. But if you've got a baby then you could just keep going with it, Ive just backed a 4yo so he will be working through the winter.

Taz975

Visit site
I dont think your bog standard hacking gnereal riding horse NEEDS a holiday although he might like one!
But I think competing horses do need a holiday as it is stressful for them and i think its beneficial for younger horses to go away and think and grow up and for older ones to stop them getting stale. I like some time off from competing as it can get a bit full on and so do horses thats why they go stale.

Peanot

Visit site
Last year, I didn`t do a lot of competing with one thing and another and she had all of December off. This year, she has been worked since January with about 10 show jumping shows, 5 dressage shows and 2 Hunter trials, so not a lot really, but she will have December off again as it is very cold anyway and our menage is solid when its icy. And it gives me plenty of time to do the Christmas shopping.
smirk.gif

She has also had the odd week off. I prefer to do it like this rather than give her a long time off, for 2 reasons, 1,she gets a little exciteable and full of herself, and also probably bored, and 2, I work hard to get her topline and muscled up and fit and so I don`t like to throw it all away and start all over again as this is where problems might happen with weak tendons etc especially when they are carreering around the fields. This is my opinion.

eventingdiva

Visit site
I dont think many need a complete holiday, esp older horses. i think a break from competing may be beneficial but we've always kept ours walking out at least. two of mine have just had some holiday, both due to injuries. due to the type one was allowed to be ridden out in walk for 1 hr a day for 6 wks, and she has actually come back working better. the other had 3 months off work and has come back not half as lovely as she was. such a shame x

Frazer

Visit site
Echo what most people have said, if your horse needs it, i.e been competing hard, then give the horse a holiday. If he is just doing the normal work, but you think a holiday is what you both need to refresh go for it. I normally give about a month - 3 months off a year, depending on whats happened etc.. normally at the end of the indoor showjumping season.

star

Visit site
i usually give my hrose a break from competing for a month or so a couple of times a year, but he never gets a holiday from being ridden because he has a suspensory ligament problem which the vets said it was important to keep in work and not let things slacken off and then him have a hooley round the field.

pootler

Visit site
Well he had an easy June/July with no competing so it looks like the general view is that I don't need to give him time off (ISZ you are such a hard woman!)