A Very Sad How Much?

Sparklet

Visit site
After a long heartbreaking discussion we have finally decided to sell my daughters pony because it is time she moved on to horses.

Pony is a really stunning Golden Dun, 14.2 and 9 years of age. We have owned her since she was 3 years old and she was originally imported from Ireland (Kilkenny) as a yearling. I have no information about her breeding other than her father took advantage of her mother so Spice was not intentional – her father was a Palamino Arab and her mother was quite a successful jumping pony reputed to be out of Clover Hill – but I have no paper records.

In type she is a bit like a short backed Connemara with finer legs – described by the physio as having perfect confirmation and very unlikely to have any problems with her back.

She is not really a first pony so would have to be sold as a second ride as despite having no ridden problems she is quite sharp so would need someone with a bit of experience.

She has shown quite successfully and does well in the Show Hunter Pony classes, it is unusual if she doesn’t win the class. She has not done any affiliated showing though because my daughter’s main interest is dressage where she does very well.

She does jump but is pretty green and this would need some work.

She is easy to handle, shoe and a child could clip her. She does need sedation to have her teeth done and needs plenty of room when travelling. She also has a nose net in summer but otherwise she is vice less.

She would do complete with tack and a rug for every occasion and more.

What do you think?

Pasha

Visit site
She sounds lovely - unfortunately I cannot help with the how much, but I can tell you for free her father was not an Arab as they do not have the Palomino gene (may have been a part-bred). Sorry I can't help more. I hope you find her a lovely home.

Loopy_laura

Visit site
sounds really lovely pony, and brings back very sad memories of selling my best friend, just make sure she goes to a top class home! i virtually gave mine away to a family that didnt have much but would love him for ever and do there very best for him in everyway! he is still with them, and i go see him but only when nobody is there cause i just cry! good luck finding a perfect home!

Pasha

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Though I know of a PBA Stallion that is over 80% arab and he's a palomino...

So he could have been nearly full arab maybe? Enough to be called an arab stallion...

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately as Arabs are a purebreed they have to have 100% Arab blood to be an Arab

Sparklet

Visit site
Do Arabs have the Dun gene - I know people often get the two colours mixed up (dont know how but they do). Just going on what I was told.

The yard she came from was a pretty well known event yard in Ireland.

zizz

Visit site
probably registered as a partbred, its the same with colourds, you see stallions that are something like 97% arab blood and are coloured but they still aren't purebred.

Could they have possibly ment a palomino x arab?

Sparklet

Visit site
She is prelim/nov dressage - daughter 18 now and been really busy with studies. Also works on a Sat for car money so not always that free to do many comps. She does have a smart med trot - something that has always evaded me.

ihatework

Visit site
2K max, she sounds a lovely pony but given greeness over a fence and the 'nose net' (which I read to mean headshaker, correct me if I am wrong) I think there is a limited price tag on her.

Sparklet

Visit site
She doesnt like midges bouncing off her nose when worked - if that is a head shaker then that is what she is. No problems when the midges are not out.

Imonone

Visit site
Good luck in finding her a super home, which is more important than price and harder to come by.

My sons 'angel' went to a super family that are still in touch, went for daughter and now teaching son.

Beware of all the 'idiots' who you will no doubt have to falsely put off. 'No hes not for you - no he wont affiliate' etc!

Sparklet

Visit site
Thanks for that - you are not wrong. I think we will quite possibly be interviewing any prospective buyer. She is my daughters second pony - her first was very sucessfully re-homed. I still keep an eye on her.
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
Minimum of £4,500....absolute minimum! I think she is probably worth nearer £6K to be honest.

14.2hh - one of THE most sought after sizes.
Dun - one of THE most loved colours.
Connemara - what more can I say........she has it all!

I buy and sell for a living - and although not in the UK, I do still keep a close eye on the market over there.

Sparklet

Visit site
Thats great to know - to be honest I would rather put her up for sale at more of a 'bargain' price so I could have my pick of potential buyers. I want a seriously good home...I have owned her since she was 3 so she is my baby and I love her to bits.

Tia

Visit site
If you care deeply for her, then do what I do with my special ones, mark them down and you will have the pick of the crop for purchasers! Purchasers also love to buy a horse that has been in the same home for many years. Although I am a dealer, I generally keep my seller-on's for a minimum of 1 year, so I'm not just one of those people and I do care where my horses end up.
smile.gif

If you were to advertise her for £3,750 you would likely end up with £3,500 and should be able to thoroughly vet the new owners. Very best of luck.
smile.gif

Sparklet

Visit site
That sounds like good advice - we sold my daughters first pony at a really marked down price because I liked the home. I have never regreted that decision.
smile.gif

zizz

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
daughter 18 now and been really busy with studies. Also works on a Sat for car money so not always that free to do many comps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm probably gonna sound really rude now, but why are you wanting to buy a replacement horse if thats your reason for selling? Seems to me it would make more sense to keep her as a hack for your daughter than go through the heartbreak of selling her.

siennamum

Visit site
Although she has some very desirable features, I wouldn't pay more than 3.5k for her - if that. There's a real danger of advertising ponies for too much and not getting much of a response, when you have to readvertise her for a more realistic price people will not ring, thinking there's something wrong with her.
I've just bought a 14hh and have seen a lot in the past 6 months, if I saw her advertised my concerns would be:
Although Irish ponies are very popular, she's not a reg connemara and so it doesn't really apply, she is sharp which will put lots of people off, she has little competition form, for big money (5 -6k) she needs to have BD points, have been to a national champs, either PC or RC or even PUK/BSPS, or to have some BSJA winnings.
The two most significant factors though are her travelling issues which for some people would be a big deal (ie someone with a small box) and in particular her head shaking, which if she's showing or doing dressage at any level will put people off.
That sounds really negative sorry, but to put things in perspective, my friend just bought a reg pb welsh mare. 14.2 and quite pretty - substantial and well made, 8 years old, jumps anything and seems 100% a bit sharp but no tricks, Golden Dun and she paid 1,200..... I bought a reg ISpony, sensational temperament - would carry a toddler hunting, never bucks or pulls. very well made, would win WH, very nice paces - good enough to just do dressage, totally 100 per cent in every way, on all pc teams and a machine XC. he is 10 and cost 3.5k.
My advice would be if you can, to sell her on the PC website - it's the best place for genuine ponnies and the prices there are a little more realistic

Sparklet

Visit site
Not rude at all
grin.gif

Spice is only 14.2 and my daughter is now 5'6" and although daugher is fairly lightweight does look a little to big for Spice. Another reason is my husband has been riding now for 2 years and wants to further his riding. A swap to a larger animal that would also carry him will mean that they can share the horse while she continues her studies.

It has been a hard decision but my daughter has been fully involved and knows it is the right thing.

Sparklet

Visit site
Completely agree with all you say - she is definitely not 'big money' and I would prefer to be honest about her problems and lower the price and try to hide them, which I am sure a lot of people do.

This thread is giving me a guide - I do think areas of the country also affect price so that might explain some conflicting estimates.

I need her to go to a good home that will accept her exactly as she is so the price would always be negotiable to the right person.

harrihjc

Visit site
she sounds lovely, I would say around 3-4k. I think it's better to advertise for less and have the pick of good homes rather than fewer people enquiring because they don't have the money