A very sad sale >>>>>

Boxers

Visit site
If the pony is so perfect wouldn't it be a good idea to send her to a stud (or more knowledgeable horsey person) to have the foal and until weaning and then have the pony back again?

I can fully understand being overwhelmed by the prospect of an unwanted foal but it seems a bit extreme and a real shame to sell her. I wonder how long she has til the foal is born?

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/clas...hire/abergavenny/a-very-sad-sale-460312.html#

Spilletta

Visit site
If the pony is so perfect wouldn't it be a good idea to send her to a stud (or more knowledgeable horsey person) to have the foal and until weaning and then have the pony back again?

That would be an idea. Good ponies are surely worth their weight in gold aren't they? (Not saying less than good ponies aren't as deserving, but hopefully you know what I mean.)

I'm not even going to attempt to understand how the previous owners weren't aware of a potential pregnancy before passing to current owners.

be positive

Visit site

I can fully understand being overwhelmed by the prospect of an unwanted foal but it seems a bit extreme and a real shame to sell her. I wonder how long she has til the foal is born?

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/clas...hire/abergavenny/a-very-sad-sale-460312.html#

I imagine it comes down to finances, keeping her and a foal until weaning will prove expensive and probably impossible where they are, if things are tight it may just be beyond them, sending to stud and having her back after an early weaning would be ideal if she is that good but there is still a weanling to rehome which is unlikely to contribute much towards outgoings, it is a shame the previous owners did not do right by everyone involved and get her checked if they knew a colt had been in with her.

D66

Visit site
Having googled the phone number it appears the sellers bring on, show and sell a small number of ponies each year. Presumably their life style means they can't give a mare and foal the attention they deserve; I think it is very sensible to pass the mare onto someone who can.
I certainly would not want to judge them harshly on the little information we have.

crabbymare

Visit site
at least they are honest about her being in foal so a buyer will not have a nasty shock which is more than a lot of people would even at this late stage of the pregnancy

paddy555

Visit site
Having googled the phone number it appears the sellers bring on, show and sell a small number of ponies each year. Presumably their life style means they can't give a mare and foal the attention they deserve; I think it is very sensible to pass the mare onto someone who can.
I certainly would not want to judge them harshly on the little information we have.

are they dealers? From reading the for sales in the paper copy of H & H there are several adverts from that area with "we can help with transport" always at the end.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Careful, not a normal private sale IMHO
Seller has this advert as 4th one this year (all different ponies).
2 in November, 3 in October - totalling 16 ponies advertised in H&H in 2014 from March onwards. Who is to know that there may not be more ads locally?

In my eyes this IS a dealer

Thriller

Visit site
Careful, not a normal private sale IMHO
Seller has this advert as 4th one this year (all different ponies).
2 in November, 3 in October - totalling 16 ponies advertised in H&H in 2014 from March onwards. Who is to know that there may not be more ads locally?

In my eyes this IS a dealer

I spy!

D66

Visit site
This is their website

www.performanceponiesprl.co.uk/

It looks to me like they spend a lot of time out and about. it seems they mostly buy connies, but also get pony club ponies at the right stage for their family members. What's not to like?
I don't know them, i just don't understand why anyone would criticise their decision to sell based on the information here. The pony looks like a good deal for someone with plenty of field space, who needs a companion for a while and maybe has kids around.

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
The many ads in the paper copy of H&H have all been (from memory) Shetlands or Shetland crosses - all as per the Fuzzy Fury above. So it looks like it's a dealer who bought a mare to bring on and sell and now wants rid because its in foal. Which is quite understandable from a business perspective, but not an overwhelmed private family trying to do the right thing as the ad implies.

Last edited:

honetpot

Visit site
I have googled the number and I would be wary. Buying a first pony you are buying provenance.Which PC, how long has it been in that home and good ponies are passed back and forth between families, with out this its doubtful it would make £200 in a sale. They would be classed as dealers for the amount they sell.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I'd imagine it's to do with cost.
Sending a mare to a stud for gosling doesn't come cheap.

Even finding a safe field for her could be difficult and she will still need experienced eyes or advice for the owners.

Poor mare though.

I hope she goes somewhere safe to foal.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Especially as they presumably have no idea what she is in foal to. I'm sure they could keep her if they wanted to which would probably be the right thing to do by the mare, they are choosing not to.

honetpot

Visit site
As they are listed as farmers and breeders( google search of the phone number) and obviously have had several equines for sale, I would suspect they are more than capable of looking after a native type mare.
I do not mind the fact they are selling but they are being disingenuous in the way she is advertised.