A very self indulgent moan

amage

Visit site
Dolly my 16year old jumping mare is fit and well after being injured for most of last year and having a foal the year before. I keep her at my oh's farm where he also trains racehorses but we have no arena so I do all of my work on the roads and in fields. For the most part this is great but now mare is very very fit and has gone from being just a sharp mare to a complete twit. It is the first time I've had her competition fit with no arena and it is driving me demented. When in the fields she is not too bad but given that it is early in the year and grass has to be minded for cows if it is raining I am not in them. Went for a hack out with a friend today and she was a complete twit, spooking at nothing, spinning and then had a meltdown and jumped up a 5 foot bank before sliding down again and seems to have wrenched a fetlock. Got her home iced it and bandaged her up and touch wood she is sound so very hopeful it's just a tweak but I am miserable. I feel like I can't rider her at all even though I have had her seven years. i just sat in the tackroom and had a big cry. I know i probably sound like a spoilt wagon but I am finding her so difficult at the moment. She gets loads of turnout, is in no pain anywhere but is just fit and silly. I am very tempted to move her somewhere with an arena but equally finding suitable livery nearby is not easy plus me & OH work on yard together (as well as my outside job and his farming). Building an arena is hopefully on the cards at some stage but not financially viable at the moment. have her fit as we are working towards Dublin Horse Show Qualifiers. Away from home or when doing polework/jumping at home she is an angel...at the rest of the time she is a nightmare. Can I have some hugs coupled with some very swift kicks in the derriere and lots of vibes hoping that fetlock swelling is nothing major;-(

fruity

Visit site
have you got a school near by you could hire? even once a week could make a real difference,what sort of hard feed is she having? Sounds like she is feeling very well!!! do feel for you,have been there when they are like a rocket waiting to go off and feeling a bit too well!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have no arena but not as fit a horse! This time of year sucks because you cannot ride in the fields and yet you are so close to being able to (apart from all the good fields seem to be for silage so another couple of months I have to wait for them!!). I just console myself with more lessons with the money I save in having no livery costs. Chin up and maybe try a calmer?

druid

Visit site
On the feed thing - Amage is pretty much an equine nutritionist so I'd guess that angle is covered?

Amage - I'd second SC's suggestion and how is she on the beach?

amage

Visit site
Yes she is on hard feed...very fine line between having her "up" enough to jump and cool enough to work at home. Had a big moan at oh and he is now "giving me" a paddock that the cows have just grazed so short grass and as it is being reseeded later in year doesn't matter if i trash it but we will prob try rotate around it to work so as to try and keep some good parts.

LizzieJ - yes on hard feed

SC - I'm off googling now...never come across Equifeast in Ireland before though.

Fruity - nearest school is 30 mins box away and we do go quite often. It's actually forst weekend we haven't been at trainers for a school which is prob while I am really aware today of how annoying no school is!

LEC - yes think I am going to try some Horse First Relax Me. Due to being in the warmest corner of Ireland and right on the beach we can use fields nearly all year round but have been concious of not ruining them for cows....this is now rectified (per first paragraph)

Unfortunately beach is not an option for schooling...after we got attacked by a dog down there last year she is understandably petrified down there. We can just about manage to make it there once a week to walk in sea after a jump to keep legs right but schooling down there is not workable.

I actually feel a lot better about it all after my moan...thanks for all suggestions!