A Vinnie jumPing report with sunny photos

millitiger

Visit site
Had a jumping lesson with Vinnie today with a new instructor... in the new arena Vinnie hasn't been in, with a row of 30 flags along one fenceline blowing in the wind and a PC camp jumping lesson of Thelwell furries going on right next door with a very vocal instructor! :eek:

So... Vinnie warmed up a little sharp but we only had one minor blip and as soon as the fences went up he knuckled down and put his best concentration face on :)

Instructor was very good and quiet, reassured me we are working on the right lines and gave me some good homework to do before next week; having not had a regular trainer for about a year now I am looking forward to some help!

Jumped everything with a placing pole as Vinnie can get strong to a fence at the moment and it means I can ride him softly to the pole and not have to place him as the pole does the work... in theory ;) How to convince my hands they DON'T have to pull??:rolleyes:

I know his legs are a bit dangly but he is trying his best to get a tidy lift off with his big frame so we aren't pushing the issue, just giving him a good groundline to aim at instead!

Little crosspole
548884_10151332808709152_1723489772_n.jpg

Getting tidier as the fence goes up
309462_10151332807759152_1016971314_n.jpg

Resembling a proper shape
387144_10151332807864152_80249837_n.jpg

Showing how close he gets to a fence before take off!
531561_10151332808634152_1925623119_n.jpg

:wub: my lovely boy
376257_10151332808394152_1810578994_n.jpg

Looking almost like a proper pony :D
425090_10151332872249152_901962111_n.jpg

And a funny one where Vinnie's idea of a good stride caught me slightly off guard!
480402_10151332808544152_1007251438_n.jpg

Very pleased with his attitude to everything that was going on today (as he cooled off the PC camp had a water fight with lots of screaming children running everywhere! :cool:) and he gives me a lovely feeling over a fence, even if it doesn't look great at the moment.

Any tips on not throwing myself up his neck on take off?? It drives me mad but I just seem to do it automatically :mad: I really concentrate all the way to the take off spot and then my brain freezes!

I have some Malteasers on offer but you'll need to be fast as they are rapidly disappearing!

Fiona

Visit site
If its any consolation my hubby always looks up his mares neck in still pics, but watching him on video he definitely does not look in front of the movement at any point.....

Am envious of your sunshine - can I have some please......

Fiona

Emma S

Visit site
He looks luurvley :)

I used to have the same problem and a trainer at the time said something really simple to me that helped so very much!

"until your jumping over 3ft you dont need to 'fold' just give with your hands."
:) might sounds a bit mad but just giving with your hands encorages you to only tip forward slightly at the hip and generally more than enough!

millitiger

Visit site
If its any consolation my hubby always looks up his mares neck in still pics, but watching him on video he definitely does not look in front of the movement at any point.....

Am envious of your sunshine - can I have some please......

Fiona

I have the same problem- on videos I look like I am in the right place but when I go through the stills or look at it in slow-mo I am lying down on his neck! :mad:
You can definitely have some sunshine, it is WAYYY to hot here! I was was an interesting colour somewhere between maroon and purple when we finished yesterday :eek: Think I need to get back on the exercise bike.

He looks like such a trier!! Beautiful horse.

He is trying hard now and I feel like he is really working for me :)
I'm not sure I'd call him beautiful with his breezeblock head but I'll give you handsome ;):D

He looks luurvley :)

I used to have the same problem and a trainer at the time said something really simple to me that helped so very much!

"until your jumping over 3ft you dont need to 'fold' just give with your hands."
:) might sounds a bit mad but just giving with your hands encorages you to only tip forward slightly at the hip and generally more than enough!

Thank you :)
I think my problem (or excuse!) is that as he is so big my hands are already quite far in front of me and my arms are already quite straight so I don't feel I can really get them much more forward without my body wanting to follow.

Will try and do some work in jumping position on the flat and practice just releasing with my hands and keeping my bum closer to the saddle :)

I have the far worse habit of just standing bolt upright over jumps :cool:

I'm not sure that is worse, we can draw in the bad habit stakes! :p
I must try harder!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I worked on this exact method with my big horse when he started jumping - trotting pole in front. It really helped him as it takes them ages to be able to canter in balance and because they are so big the fence seems tiny and so they are not terribly sharp in front but until the rest of it comes you cannot stick the fence up!

I had a year of embarrassing photos last year where we jumped 80/90cm and the fences look ridiculously tiny but this year I have been able to crack on really quickly. As the fences have gone up the shoulders have got sharper and I still do the trot pole, one stride exercise just to keep him sharp in front.

I have had to learn to be a lot more upright into a fence as it takes them slightly longer to bring the shoulders up and then be slow with my shoulders in the air. Personally I would not change your position much because when the fences get bigger it will look a lot less like overkill.

millitiger

Visit site
I worked on this exact method with my big horse when he started jumping - trotting pole in front. It really helped him as it takes them ages to be able to canter in balance and because they are so big the fence seems tiny and so they are not terribly sharp in front but until the rest of it comes you cannot stick the fence up!

I had a year of embarrassing photos last year where we jumped 80/90cm and the fences look ridiculously tiny but this year I have been able to crack on really quickly. As the fences have gone up the shoulders have got sharper and I still do the trot pole, one stride exercise just to keep him sharp in front.

I have had to learn to be a lot more upright into a fence as it takes them slightly longer to bring the shoulders up and then be slow with my shoulders in the air. Personally I would not change your position much because when the fences get bigger it will look a lot less like overkill.

Glad you were working on the same methods we are doing now! :)

Everything you have said has made perfect sense in relation to Vinnie and I think you have pinned down the issue- I need to be slower with my shoulders in the air as I am currently 'flipping' forward on take off.

he looked lovely! :)

Thank you :) He is a lovely boy, very pleased with him.

Sarah1

Visit site
Absolutely love, love, love this horse! He's just so gorgeous...!:)
I think your position is fab - wish mine was half as good! :eek::D