A warning to all....

niko

Visit site
2 days ago after a ride with my horse my trainer and i were untacking the horses. My are was tied with bailer twine to a 5 bar gate in the american barn whilst i worked around her. I took my eye off her for 2 secs something spooked her the leadrope went over her poll and in a panic she went over the body and landed on the 5 bar gate, came down and scrabbled to her feet. I have never seen anything so horrific happen to my horse. I couldnt free her either as her feet were flailiing at me to release her.
My trainer immediately checked her over and trotted her up...sound and no marks on her. I am still traumatised. I turned her into the field as i bet she would be sore and she coverted as if nothing had happened. But last night her jaw was swollen as it whacked the gate, i clayed it and its normal this morning and eating fine.
PLEASE please do not use baler twine, i learnt the hard way as it didnt break, i've always used it but will have a ceremonial burning later.

GinaB

Visit site
I always ensure to split baler twine before using it so it's not as thick and more likely to break.

Hope yur horse is ok, it must have been terrifying

niko

Visit site
Yes it was thin, just didnt break, i blame myself tho my trainer said was a freak accident, hacking her out later to make sure all ok...just when things had started to look up ho hum

brightmount

Visit site
If it had been thinned out to half its thickness or less I'm surprised it didn't break. Having said that I posted recently about the number of lead ropes that my horse seems to have broken where the clip has snapped, which obviously is better than the horse harming herself.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Ideally you shouldn't tie to gates that can lift off, instead attach the twine to the hook of the gate.

You can also get new plastic ties that will always give under a certain amount of pressure, so more reliable than baler twine.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
What a frightening thing to have happened.

I very rarely tie up outside my stable - and certainly never to a gate, as accidents so easily happen.

I so relieved for you that no serious damage seems to have been done.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Have her checked out by a physio or someone similar, as it is very likely she will be sore somewhere.

I nearly lost my brand new horse once. I had always tied up to the gate (with baler twine). I tied up my new TB and he did the same, got the rope over his head - threw up his head and took the gate off its hinges. He proceeded to gallop round the field with the gate swinging from side to side in front of him. Luckily the leather headcollar broke and the gate dropped to the floor and he (being quite sensible) just stopped and started grazing.

I have NEVER tied up to a gate since - and ALWAYS use leather headcollars. If there is something I hate it is a synthetic headcollar, because that wouldn't have broken I would have ended up with a horse with a broken leg, through my own stupidity.

I use baler twine to tie up, and when it is new it doesn't break very easily, although it soon wears through and I generally find myself pursuing animals that have broken free.

only_me

Visit site
My thoughts exactly...

Glad the mare is ok though
smile.gif

M_G

Visit site
I rarely tie mine up, if I need to do anything he is put in his stable and left loose for everything from picking out feet to saddling up

smirnoff_ice07

Visit site
What a scary thing to happen!
Also dont use those elastic equitie things, had one on our trailer last year and my youngster realised he could stretch it by putting his head down to reach the grass, and everytime i tied him shorter he just pulled his head down harder. Eventually he stretched it too much and the bloody thing snapped, his leadrope flew back at him and he got smaked on the head by the knot in it where i had tied him up!