Pictures A "what breed is my horse" question

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I know you all love a what breed thread! I bought Nelson about 2.5 years ago, he'd been brought over from Ireland but breeding is unknown. I've had a few ideas but was hacking with a new friend the other day who threw a new breed into the ring and I think she might be right!

He's a nervy but honest type, with a high leg action in trot. Quite hairy, be has a fair amount of feather as you can probably see from the pictures.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And just because he's super handsome, my big boy, George, not looking too shabby for a retired 16yo

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I am absolutely useless at this but can I say he is lovely! Dolly is Connemara and there is something about that first picture that reminds me of her so naoimibmck could be right!

JJS

Visit site
I reckon there’s probably some Welsh in there, along with a bit of Irish cob, but who knows what else might have been thrown into the mix!

Bernster

Visit site
Similar to my friends horse who came over from Ireland with no recorded breeding. He was a superstar horse and still going strong at 19! Guessing some Connie in there and poss Welsh.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
This is really interesting. I'm sure he's a mixture rather than one breed, sorry I wasn't very clear.

My thoughts were Dales and Friesian, but my friend threw Welsh D in which I can also see. I can't really see Connie in him but I don't know much about the breed.

Someone asked about his height, he's about 15.3.

skint1

Visit site
I'm going to throw my uneducated two penneth in and say some kind of Standardbred x something a bit cobby/nativey

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
This is really interesting. I'm sure he's a mixture rather than one breed, sorry I wasn't very clear.

My thoughts were Dales and Friesian, but my friend threw Welsh D in which I can also see. I can't really see Connie in him but I don't know much about the breed.

Sorry JB, but I cannot see Dales nor Friesian in him.

He's a nice all round Irish chap of indeterminate blood :)

SpottyMare

Visit site
I was going say Welsh D - the picture where he's looking at the camera, and his general shape looks very much like my Welsh D, who is traditional rather than the more modern flashy type. Side on he has a shorter head than mine, but to me, Welsh is the breed that jumps out. Whatever he is, he's lovely :)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I was going say Welsh D - the picture where he's looking at the camera, and his general shape looks very much like my Welsh D, who is traditional rather than the more modern flashy type. Side on he has a shorter head than mine, but to me, Welsh is the breed that jumps out. Whatever he is, he's lovely :)
Thank you! He is lovely, he's such a genuine little thing although he's hard to do anything with from the ground, I can't even worm him on my own. I had a lot of dancing around when I just tried to wash his bottom this morning. It's frustrating as he's so good when ridden.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

I was going to say maybe dales his legs look a bit like a friesian now you have mentioned it.