A what breed is my pony thread!!

LollyDolly

Visit site
Ok so I own a 6 year old perlino gelding who just scrapes in at 15hh, but he is registered as 14.2
On his passport it says that he is an Irish X, many people have said that he has Connemara in him however I am not sure as I haven't had much experience with them as a breed to be honest! He has a very high and elaborate knee action which leads me to think that he is part Welsh D, he also gets the little tufty 'feathers' but I don't know...
I've always said that he was a Connemara X but I'm not sure really :eek:
He is quite chunky and hairy!
I just think that it would be quite interesting to see what breed people think he is?
Sadly I have no way of contacting his previous owners or breeder so I can't ask them what he is!
Here are some pictures:

DSCF0680.jpg

Snapshot221-07-201221-32.jpg

DSCF0690.jpg

Snapshot315-02-201219-56.png

Snapshot906-02-201220-23.png

Thoughts?? :D

L&M

Visit site
A toughie!!

If he was bay he would look very similiar to my 15hh connie x t/bred - similiar shaped head, physique, and bone. My connie also gets feathers but I clip them off.

However my lad does not have a high knee action.....bit of a curve ball there, so maybe connie x welsh?!

Littlelegs

Visit site
I don't see much connie in him either tbh. Possibly a bit of welsh. I'd be more inclined to think the Irish x part is a bit of Irish cob cross heinz 57 native type.

RainbowDash

Visit site
Wow - what a beauty and a toughie.

There's certainly Welsh pony in there - possibly Sec C/D - but given the deep chest? I dunno :eek:

Lovely Pony, wonderful action and very striking - i'm jealous :D

TrasaM

Visit site
Front end looks more Irish draught. Can't see much Connemara on the front but looks can be deceiving. Beautiful animal though whatever he is:)

Wheels

Visit site
Possibly some welsh but probably a variety of different breeds all mixed together. Lovely horse whatever the breed

LollyDolly

Visit site
Thanks so much for the feedback everyone!! :D

It's the trot that makes me think that he might have some Welsh in him :confused:

Also, is he classed as a native type? I've only ever dealt with warmbloods and sport horses so native ponies are totally foreign to me haha! :p

pookie

Visit site
I can see a fair amount of ID in him, but I might not have my horses glasses on straight :p He's totally gorgeous, whatever he is.

LollyDolly

Visit site
Thank you for all the lovely comments, it really means a lot! :D

There could almost be a little bit of Appy in him looking at those speckles on his muzzle!!

Haha he does have a mottled muzzle, eyes and sheath hence his nickname of Mottle Mouth ;)
To be honest I don't know where they come from, do any colour genetic experts know if mottles are tied into the perlino colour?
He also has a faint dorsal stripe which gets quite prominent in his winter coat, to be honest I don't even think that he knows what colour or breed he is haha!

Eluana

eluana.webs.com
Yeap, dilutes do tend to have mottled skin - my brains frozen as to if it applies to single dilutes as well (believe it does so) but I know it definitely does for double dilutes.
His dorsal stripe is possibly just counter shading, but double dilutes do tend to hide dun well. Is the edging crisp and can you see it it continues into his tail?

LollyDolly

Visit site
Yeap, dilutes do tend to have mottled skin - my brains frozen as to if it applies to single dilutes as well (believe it does so) but I know it definitely does for double dilutes.
His dorsal stripe is possibly just counter shading, but double dilutes do tend to hide dun well. Is the edging crisp and can you see it it continues into his tail?

That's great, thanks for letting me know!! :D
Hmm, well it's only really prominent in the winter but it's not glaringly obvious as most dorsal stripes are, it's rather subtle and it's a mouse brown colour. Yes it does continue into his tail :)