A what would you do question.

Angua2

Visit site
There was a horse on your yard that wasn't 100% and had given up on life apart from the feed bucket, but the owner insisted that there was nothing wrong and kept trying to do stuff that perhaps they shouldn't do?.

The reason I ask is that I watched a horse being lunged yesterday and he just laid on the sand and didn't want to move. today he was lunged and he just seemed to drag himself round.... the owner was desperately trying to get a bit of "sparkle" or even trot but the horse just plodded and occasionally sped the walk up. When this horse comes out of the stable he shuffles.

elsielouise

Visit site
Depends v much on age/ training status/experience of owner/veterinary history - Worst case tell YO horse needs vet and hope/assume there is a clause in livery contract that allows YO to call vet if worried.

Sounds from your 'given up on life comment' though that it might be old and poss arthritic, but still depends on your relationship with horses owner as to how to handle situation.

I'd try and do something positive that didn't have a detrimental affect on horse. e.g if it meand your comment might make owner work horse more to 'prove something' then I'd tread v carefully. Is why I don't like livery yards v much!

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
a2 - I couldn't just stand by and watch that. But how I'd play it would depend on the owner. Is it possible to "accidentally" be watching one day and try to offer to help? A horse that can barely shuffle and that lays down in the school is in some sort of trouble. But make sure you have all the info before you jump to conclusions, just in case its more complex than you imagine, eg recovering from something and on veterinary instructions to encourage movement.

jollyponies

Visit site
poor horse has the owner had the vet to it.
confused.gif

YorkshireLass

Visit site
We need to know more!

Has the horse always been like this.... you get some horse that are such slugs that you could light a fire under them and they would not move!

Laying down can be an evasion. Tehre is not a lot that the handler can do, so the horse learns the lesson quickly.

Some horse do shuffle and have dreadful actions... but that is just the way they are.

If nothing else the owner is probably disapointed. You could make a friendly offer to give them a hand, and then you can have a good look at what is going on.

If you think the horse is being neglected or needs medical help that it is not getting, the only correct thing to do is share your concerns with the RSPCA.

Without knowing more, it is hard to say!

Angua2

Visit site
thanks all...... for the advice.

it turns out that the horse is suffering from a flare up of arthritis/rhumatism from the cold and damp and is on medication to ease the symptoms. The horse was a dressage pony and due to this rather severe attack the owner has retired the horse or rather downscaled his work load to that of light hack so to stop him totally seizing up. I am pleased to say that she will have him for as long as she can keep him comfortable and happy.