A 'which yard?' thread

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Sorry to be that person with a 'which yard' thread, but struggling to make a decision. I've been to view two yards this week & could do with some impartial advice.

I'm currently on part livery with pony but have been DIY and Assisted DIY in the past so returning to either doesn't worry me (except for maybe re-adjusting to early morning starts ?)

Yard A
Assisted DIY (1 x feed and either B/I or T/O daily) with the option of increasing services to part livery on a flexible basis
• Individual turnout - overnight in the summer with 8-4.30pm T/O in winter in all but worst of weather
• Friends there who recommend
• Strictly no dogs
• 2 x floodlit area's - 1 indoor, 1 outdoor
• Holds regular clinics
• Horse size stable
• Easy access to bridleways on quiet roads from yard but more road work needed for longer bridleway routes

Yard B
• DIY only
• Group turn out and can live out March - November. Daily T/O in winter with no weather or time restrictions (well, they need to be in by 9pm but I'd be long gone by then)
• Dog friendly so could take dog up to walk etc at same time
• Smaller stable (would fit up to 15.2hh comfortably - pony is approximately 14-14.1hh)
• Outdoor sand school but not floodlit
• Direct access to off-road hacking. Some quiet roadwork stretches to other off road riding on bridlepaths, woods and parks for longer rides.

Any thoughts? I think I have a favourite, but there's definitely pro's and con's to both.

Last edited:

Sleipnir

Visit site
I'd choose B purely because of the group turnout and living out most of the year. Yard A seems to have more facilities/pros for clients, like the floodlit arenas, assisted DIY and regular clinics, but, if you can pull off DIY and live without a lit school, I'd go for B.

Winters100

Visit site
My horses would be happier at B, so I would have to go for that. However lack of indoor arena would be massive issue for me, so I would possibly go there and look around for somewhere to move to in the Autumn.

Surbie

Visit site
I'd pick B personally, but would be wanting to know how well the school stands up in winter and how assistance is organised if you need it.

Jango

Visit site
Depends on your work schedule and what kind of riding you do surely? If you can't ride in daylight during the week in winter then I would pick yard A. If you only ride at the weekends anyway or have a flexible schedule I'd pick yard B as others have said it's more horse friendly with group turnout.

webble

Visit site
I would pick A because I don't like dogs on a yard and would live an indoor.

What sort of riding do you want to do, do you need the indoor? Does the outdoor at B flood? If there much of a cost difference? Any hidden extras at either such as having to buy hay off them at silly prices?

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
Just because I don't agree with individual T/O unless for medical, behavioural reasons I would go for yard b and entirely write off yard a. However you need to go with what you are comfortable with and what facilities suit your needs. At yard b is there an option to buddy up with another livery to split to/bi duties?

Tash88

Visit site
Like others have said I think it depends on what you do with your horse and your priorities - FWIW I'd choose A for one of my horses and B for the other!

Are they both similar distances from home/work? That would also be important for me, as a DIY yard. And with Yard B I'd want some assistance if necessary so that would also be important.

wiglet

Visit site
I'm leaning towards A, but that's just what would work for me and my horse - I guess it's something you're going to have to decide!

My horse is quite unsociable and seems to prefer individual t/o although atm, she is in paired t/o.
I'm not keen on 24/7 turnout, especially in spring - it makes for fat horses. By bringing in all year round, it certainly keeps my horse at a constant weight.
Yard B is DIY... so who would 'do' your horse if you couldn't make it for some reason? Is there holiday cover?
Your friends recommend yard A. Do you have friends at yard B?
Not wanting to tar every dog owner with the same brush but, if dogs are welcome there will be dog poo that's not picked up. There will be dogs roaming round and not being watched. I would NEVER let my dog do this and always keep him in sight but, I do seem to be in the minority.

So, yard A for me but it's what ever works best for you!

Branna

Visit site
I think no lights in the outdoor would be a deal breaker for me, along with the smaller stable. The level of turnout at yard A would be fine for mine, but if I had one that wasn't in full work and competing my priorities might be different.

only_me

Visit site
Yard A for me, turnout seems reasonable for winter and addition of floodlighting in winter would be essential for me as I’d want to ride after work and gets dark so early.

plus a feed & turned out in am would mean only need to go to yard in evening.
I also get impression that if you went on holiday or became ill etc. Then yard A would be able to sort out pony for you.

tiahatti

Visit site
I like the sound of B. In the winter can you ride in daylight or would you be at work?

Otherwise if friends are recommending A that must also be a nice yard.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
although i love my dogs and it can be handy to take them when i am not riding i would go for A if it was possible to arrange for my horse to share with another. if you have friends there could you pair up so you share 2 turnout areas , thats what iwould do..having multiple dogs running loose in a yard wouldnt be my choice so B would be out for that reason, and how would your horse be looked afterif you were ill if there is no help options..

Annagain

Visit site
They both sound nice to me so I suppose it's a case of whether you need services (and whether you can make the leap back to pure DIY after being on part livery). If it were me, I'd go for B as that turnout setup would suit me and my horses but I've never been spoilt with part livery and indoor schools so I can't miss what I've never had!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Thank you for all your replies :)

Yard B was the option I was leaning towards and now will be moving to :)

My (unhorsey) OH viewed both with me and preferred A as I think he was swayed by the smarter facilities and can see more value for money in those more easily.

But I predominately hack and it's my main 'thing' - we do lots of long rides, picnic or pub rides with some pleasure rides and TREC thrown in too when we can - not much recently, for obvious reasons! I do enjoy flatwork/polework/jumping clinics or low key competitions but they are just a nice add on to hacking for me.

I think I could overcome the unlit school by using a head torch(es). And I guess if I could do that, I could (possibly) hack off road by head torch too in the week in winter... Pony's pretty sensible and not spooky so it could work. Thinking about it, we had awful lights at one previous yard that was probably a lot like having none :D

I'm hoping I could buddy up with other liveries occassionally but it's close to home if not (and a freelance groom is also an option). In an emergency, I do have semi horsey family locally that know enough to muck out, change a rug and put pony in field if friend's couldn't step in so think we'd be ok in that respect.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
4 of these (or similar, just picked first one that came up as an example) would be a relatively cheap way of lighting the school. I have one to supplement our rubbish floodlight (yes, singular). I put it at C and it lights about 1/3 of the school pretty well.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trongle-Re...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Oh thank you for that. Something to look into and ask the YO nearer the time. Good to know there might be a few options though!