A WWYD or would this livery appeal to anyone?

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I have 2 horses on just under 5 acres, it's clay so when it's wet it's very very wet and when it's dry it's bone dry. I have a large double field shelter which I use for stabling in the winter as they cannot be out all the time.
George, my big retired horse doesn't do well being stabled, and his tendon sheath injury has reared it's ugly head again recently which makes stabling even more difficult. I've decided to send him back to retirement grass livery in September, he was at this place a couple of years ago before I bought my own land, and he was very happy there.
So then I need to decide what to do once he's gone. I think I have the following options:

1) Find a full livery spot for Nelson for the winter; that means I can ride him without all the hard work and worry; plus my field gets several months rest and doesn't get trashed. The money isn't an issue for me.

2) Get a companion. This does mean that I'm still mucking 2 horses out and managing them all winter - after last winter I am really not relishing the thought of having one, let alone two again to look after

3) See if I can find a livery; but would anyone really be interested? I love my place but I don't have a school and whilst the hacking is pleasant, it's fairly limited. The ground is wet! Finding the right horse and owner would be hard I think, the horse would have to be happy to be left alone and the owner would have to be a responsible, nice, normal human being! I do have secure storage for tack, a gas powered hot water shower and solar lighting; plus the place is well fenced and secure, and surrounded by other horses.

What does the collective HHO wisdom say? Any other ideas?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I actually think finding a nice full service livery yard, with good facilities, for the winter would be best for you. You work really hard and a winter off looking after them and putting the energy into getting Nelson working would be a good move.

Reactions: TPO

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Def option 1 imho.

Option 2, I'd only take one from a charity so could be returned, but this can bring additional issues.

If option 3, you might need to find space for trailer or box too. You'd then have potential issues of N on his own at times.

So, lock up for winter, reassess in early spring :)

Reactions: TPO

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Definitely full livery with facilities. If we have another winter like the last one it’ll be worth every penny!
That's what I've been thinking but finding the right yard is a challenge.
I actually think finding a nice full service livery yard, with good facilities, for the winter would be best for you. You work really hard and a winter off looking after them and putting the energy into getting Nelson working would be a good move.
Thanks, it's finding the right yard though isn't it.
this.
where would that leave you in the summer though? would George come home?
Very good point. No, I don't think he would, I think it would unsettle him plus the retirement livery owner might get peed off if I kept going back and forth with him. I think it would be easier to find a summer livery, or even offer a temporary home to a rescue or two (tons of summer grass).
There are people out there who like that kind of livery, but it depends on whether you can tolerate that level of mental :p
Personally I'd go for full livery in winter and have fun with your pony ;)
Was thinking much the same about the level of mental!

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Wow so far it's unanimous with @The Fuzzy Furry and @Goldenstar agreeing too.

So I need to search for a decent full livery place then. Do I tell them it's probably for the winter only?
Nope..... but then it's better to be honest.
Mind you, how many end up yard hopping for various reasons anyway?

Ref the spring, if G not coming back, then I'd be tentatively advertising by word of mouth for a livery, maybe even turnout for hunters, or suit semi retired horse?

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Nope..... but then it's better to be honest.
Mind you, how many end up yard hopping for various reasons anyway?

Ref the spring, if G not coming back, then I'd be tentatively advertising by word of mouth for a livery, maybe even turnout for hunters, or suit semi retired horse?
I was wondering about spreading the word now, to get a potentially nice livery to start now so they get the nice summer before facing the awful winter; or do you think that I just wouldn't get someone livery at my place for the winter?

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
I was wondering about spreading the word now, to get a potentially nice livery to start now so they get the nice summer before facing the awful winter; or do you think that I just wouldn't get someone livery at my place for the winter?

If you were staying through, then yes, I'd advertise.

As prob not, then it wont hurt the fields to lie fallow from end October till early spring. All you'd need to do is cut back all weeds and brambles etc, then pop in on regular occasions to check for any weather damage x

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Im so going on full livery come winter. I love my little 3 acres and yard which sounds a bit more advanced than your place but its equally horrendous come winter! Full livery means facilities and a spot of hunting :D

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Do you really want the niggles that a livery could bring to your bit of horsey heaven ? What if they are thoughtless their horse kicks the peveriable out of yours or they are always there when you are. I vote for a youngster and hire venues. . . It may make sense long term as you can put youngster in the pen if he is a bit anxious.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I'd go option 1 too. And I'd be up front with the livery, because if it's nice and you want to make it a regular winter thing etc etc...
The last proper yard I was on had a livery who used to bring her three horses for winter full livery every year, and the yo seemed quite happy with the arrangement. Guaranteed full livery money for winter I think was seen as preferable to filling the stables with year round DIYs ;). It was a biggish yard though

hobo

Visit site
Number 1 all the way with your work load it is the only way forward. It will mean you get to enjoy your horse for more than just a few months in the middle of the summer. I have always found short term full livery fairly easy when we holiday and in more recent years that has been in the winter so if they know you are there for maybe between the clock changes I am sure they will be happy to have you. It means that you will be able to keep both you and N fit to take advantage of the better weather as soon as it comes. A yard that does schooling, breaking livery will often have places available in the winter.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I'd go full livery and be honest, that it's likely to be for the winter only. You may find you love it & want to stay, but at least you've been honest up front if you don't.

I imagine you'd be able to find a few grass liveries for company for the summer fairly easily.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Knowing what your workload is like full livery for Nelson is the way to go. George was happy in retirement and the last thing you need is a companion and the associated workload that goes with it. If you do decide to full livery over winter having a couple of hunters on holiday for the summer would be my first choice rather than a livery with a person to deal with.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Thanks everyone, unusual when the HHO massive agree, so it looks like it's the way to go. Just need to find a good yard, would love an indoor school but they are like hen's teeth round here. I've found a nice property for sale locally with indoor and outdoor schools but I don't have £1.8m lying around sadly!
Hunters turned away sound like good liveries to have for the summer.