A WWYD question re horse's future

skint1

Visit site
We are in a situation with our horse where we can't see things clearly any longer.

He is a 14yo Tb, raced as a youngster and has advanced arthritis of the hocks, fetlocks, cannon bones. Back in the summer, we didn't realise how bad things were and we had his hocks injected as we had done the year before, he had responded well to it, but this year he was very stiff and in our heads we made the decision that we would not put him through another winter but as he was reasonably happy in himself we would give him the summer with his buddies out in the field and if no improvement, we would put him to sleep about now. He has been on 2 bute a day to keep him comfortable. The vet has seen him every month, and today was the day to decide whether he was viable for a slightly extended retirement or make the dreaded appointment.

Thing is, the water is cloudy, he's gone from fairly stiff to fairly normal, running and playing with his friends, he is dealing well with being stabled overnight. The vets are saying that it isn't so bad to keep a horse like him comfortable on bute , even still this isn't a long term solution, but as of now, he has a good quality of life and so why not let him live it? They have also today decided to test him for Cushings, they felt that he was showing some signs. If he has it, the medication could make a huge improvement to him. (they tell me)

First thing to know about me is that I am not one that believes that all horses NEED a job, I believe they need food, friends and care, so it doesn't bother me that he is retired. If he were looking longingly after the horses heading out for hacks it would be easier, but he's not, he's golden actually.

A couple of fellow liveries have told us how they feel in a constructive way, some feel we should have him pts, some don't. One has been pretty nasty and personal so I will say this, we aren't "keeping him alive for our own selfish purposes" We have NOTHING to gain from it and could buy another horse tomorrow that could be ridden.

We are ambivalent, hopefully not because we are selfish but because we're not sure if its right to prolong the life of horse needing 2 bute a day to be pasture sound, but on the other hand, if he is enjoying the life he has, and it is no trouble to keep him, why shouldn't he have a bit more time? We aren't talking years here, but if the time he has is good quality time....

So, if this were your horse, what would you do? If we still decide to have him pts we would be going against the vet I guess.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's a personal choice neither decision is right or wrong .
Good luck deciding it's not easy.
You ask what I would do , I don't know because I don't know the horse but I would PTS a horse in the circumstances you describe if my guts told me to do it .

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Personally, I would keep him so long as he seems happy and perky. If he stops enjoying life then I would PTS. I am not against using bute to keep a horse pasture sound.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
From what you've posted, it doesn't sound as if your vets would oppose putting the horse down.

Either way, for me it's about quality of life - not quantity. And he's only paddock sound on two bute, plus medicated hocks.

I suspect if he were mine he'd have gone in September.

EllenJay

Visit site
As long as you are ok about paying for the medication, as he seems happy In himself then keep him going. You may find that he suddenly goes downhill, but that is another decision for another day.

Last edited:

Spring Feather

Visit site
So, if this were your horse, what would you do? If we still decide to have him pts we would be going against the vet I guess.

I'd keep him for as long as he's happy and comfortable. He's on bute so will help minimise discomfort. Plenty of old horses are kept on a maintenance level of bute. If/when anything changes, you can revisit the PTS option. However, I also have no problem with keeping horses who are retired until their time comes.

DJ

Visit site
Another here who would review it weekly .. If he`s happy enough for now and can get up and down with ease, leave him to it. At the point he is obviously starting to struggle and looks miserable, make the phone call :)

julie111

Visit site
It's so difficult isn't it! My pony is only 5 and is having to be retired, I am going to let him live out 24/7 with company for as long as he is happy and comfortable. Your horse will tell you when the time is right!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
If he is happy at the moment then I would keep him going for a while longer. You will know when he starts to get bad again, and then the decision will be easier. Personally I wouldn't want a horse on any more than 2 bute a day so if he starts to needs more, then you might want to have another think.

Yuki1290

Visit site
If he was my horse, I would keep him going as long as he had a decent quality of life (even if on a couple of bute a day)! Also, I would definitely get him tested for cushings and see, if the medication made a difference, before deciding what to do. I wouldn't pay attention to nasty comments by other liveries - there are a couple of nasty busybodies at every yard!

Inthemud

Visit site
I'd let him go rather than keep him buted up, but it sounds like it is a decision with 2 perfectly reasonable, acceptable options.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
I have always been of the mind 'it's better a day to early than a day too late' but you know your horse and you know how comfortable he is. You will know deep down when the time is right. I have each time I have had to have a horse put down some have taken me longer than others to come to the ultimate decision but I knew each time and I think you know when you start asking the question and dreading the answer if I am honest.

abracadabra

Visit site
I don't think anyone but you can call it, we'd all do things differently and who's to say whats wrong? If he were mine I'd say I'd probably be making that hard decision now. I certainly wouldn't wait till he starts to struggle and look miserable, that's waiting too long imo.

L&M

Visit site
Op I feel for you as am in the same boat atm, and like you, mine has just been tested for cushings so will see what the bloods bring.

Mine also has multiple issues, but think any decision I will make will be pain related ie if he can have a comfortable life in the field so be it, but if is suffering chronic pain and just putting a brave face on things, will then seriously consider whether to call it a day.

Thoughts with you x

Elo

Visit site
Personally, if he was comfortable I would keep him as is and get him tested for cushings as vet suggested.

However, I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer in your situation - each decision would be wholly justifiable.

Go with your gut.

crabbymare

Visit site
I will keep mine retired if they are paddock sound on a bute a day and if any more is needed thats when I make the decision. I think if you are happy to keep him on 2 a day and he is sound on them then thats fine but I would be assessing him monthly at first and weekly if he seems to be stiffening or having other problems.

Olderrider

Visit site
Terrible decision to have to make - I know as I have been in that situation myself. But - if he is comfortable and happy now, then now is the time to do it. Not wait until he is unhappy and suffering. I know this is very hard indeed, but do feel that it is the right thing to do. I really feel for you.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
I have no issue with a horse on bute, but am with Amymay on this one. If he was mine he would go. Whatever you decide remember he is your horse, it is your life and your decision...no one elses.

Tally-lah

Visit site
I would rather a day too soon than late. Sometimes it's hard to see things clearly so I would suggest listening to those around you, who you trust and when you think he is beginning to wane make the tough decision to pts.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
If you are happy to continue caring and paying.
He is happy and comfortable then don't make that decision yet.
Maybe take it a month at a time.
Things may change as winter progresses, it's gets wetter abs colder.
He might cope well, have another good summer then reassess ready for next winter.

It's your horse and your decision.
Don't listen to other people, it's your decision not theirs.

skint1

Visit site
Thank you all so much, I'm welling up here that so many of you have taken the time to consider my boy at this tough time and i appreciate all the different views expressed. I always thought that I would "just know" for certain when it was time, as I have with my cats and dogs over the years, I can't seem to get into that head space. Modern medicine gives us so many options, humans and horses, a miracle in one way, but in another way, difficult.

We will watch him closely of course, currently he has no problems laying down/ getting back up and just acts like his normal self out in the field with his friends. I hope the fact that we have let him be here going in to winter will not cause him any pain, we just want him to be happy and have some good retired life. I guess we will soon have the results of the Cushings Test, and we will see what that brings.

abracadabra

Visit site
I would rather a day too soon than late. Sometimes it's hard to see things clearly so I would suggest listening to those around you, who you trust and when you think he is beginning to wane make the tough decision to pts.

I agree with this and think it's something to bear in mind. I used to look after a very old pony on livery whose owner kept giving the poor old dear 'just one more summer' and then it ran into 'one more winter' and so on and so on. She had had the pony a long long time and I KNOW how hard it is to say goodbye but she wasn't seeing what was in front of her and it went right into becoming unfair on the pony imo. Her hand was forced in the end and the situation was distressing for everyone involved including the poor pony.

Elvis

Visit site
If only we had a crystal ball that could tell us when the time is right. Making a decision using foresight is so difficult.

I think if I was in your position I'd forget about any decision until after the cushings results. Once you have those results the situation might become clearer.

I'd then take things week by week, if the weather becomes horrendous, the horse looks miserable or is struggling to get up after lying down I think I'd have to commit that final act of kindness.

Whatever you choose to do will be right, and it's important that you have peace with your decision.

lme

Visit site
I would say there's no rush, if he is happy. They often go down hill quite slowly, so you do have time to think about what you want to do.

My old girl, aged 32, has arthritis, has damaged just about every tendon / ligament she can through being an idiot in the field. Despite this, she was absolutely fine (if a bit unlevel) until maybe 5 years ago. Over the past 2 or 3 years, she has become much less well covered than I would like her to be, due to having virtually no teeth and a digestive system that is no longer as efficient as it was.

However, she is bright eyed, can get up and down the hill to her herd, grooms with the other mares and still seems to be enjoying life, albeit at a slower place. She has been on bute for 10 years. I know we are on borrowed time and I will have to make a decision at some point, but I don't want to have her PTS too soon so I am monitoring the situation as we head into winter.

Lolo

Visit site
Two bute and medicated hocks for just field sound is a lot tbh, and the medicated hocks will wear off after 18 months/ 2 years.

He's had a full and physically trying life, and has now had a nice chilled out time. But this isn't a situation I would see as a long-term thing because of the amount of painkiller it takes to make him sound enough to do what he wants in the field.

Nari

Visit site
I'd do what it sounds like you're already doing - medicate him to keep him comfortable & review regularly.

cundlegreen

Visit site
First of all, does he look well, coat shiny and well covered? If so, he can't be feeling too uncomfortable on his medication. Have you considered alternatives? The turmeric users group on Facebook has a lot of success stories about older arthritic horses. Worth a look.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
From what you've posted, it doesn't sound as if your vets would oppose putting the horse down.

Either way, for me it's about quality of life - not quantity. And he's only paddock sound on two bute, plus medicated hocks.

I suspect if he were mine he'd have gone in September.

This exactly. Quality of life is all important to me and I would not be medicating at all just to keep him comfortable; sorry.

Coblover63

Visit site
I think I agree with Maesfen. If he was pasture sound on no meds and needed bute for work, then I'd be happy to continue but if you are having to medicate him just to keep him pasture sound, then I think I'd be making The Decision before the temperatures drop and the cold and damp starts getting to his joints.

Hugs to you and J.... is this Basil you are talking about? I see from another post that Maggie has sidebone too... you're really not having a lot of luck with your horses are you? Lots of love from me and Dom xxx