A wwyd question... Sell?

Always-Riding

Well-Known Member
Joined
18 March 2013
Messages
342
Location
Kew
Over the last year I've been fortunate enough to be able to afford two horses comfortably, however my situation has changed and where I have been able to afford all the extras, I will only just be able to afford livery and shoeing/dentist/etc from now on.

Which has lead me to think that I should consider selling one of my horses. The hard part is I am very attached to my two but I want to be able to go to competitions and have the training I want which I wouldn't be able to do with two.

The other issue is that my BF rides one and adores her more so than I do, and will be heartbroken if she goes as he's bought her back into work after a loan but he's still at uni and not anywhere near being able to help financially.

In my situation, would you sell or make do until my situation gets better, which potentially is unlikely in the near future and involves moving at least three times over the next couple of months?

(This does lead me on to the fact id be more inclined to sell the mare as we don't really 'click' and keep the youngster who is only 3 and would that be right moving a youngster that many times)
 

Minstrel_Ted

Well-Known Member
Joined
27 May 2010
Messages
149
Location
Aberdeen
Over the last year I've been fortunate enough to be able to afford two horses comfortably, however my situation has changed and where I have been able to afford all the extras, I will only just be able to afford livery and shoeing/dentist/etc from now on.

Which has lead me to think that I should consider selling one of my horses. The hard part is I am very attached to my two but I want to be able to go to competitions and have the training I want which I wouldn't be able to do with two.

The other issue is that my BF rides one and adores her more so than I do, and will be heartbroken if she goes as he's bought her back into work after a loan but he's still at uni and not anywhere near being able to help financially.

In my situation, would you sell or make do until my situation gets better, which potentially is unlikely in the near future and involves moving at least three times over the next couple of months?

(This does lead me on to the fact id be more inclined to sell the mare as we don't really 'click' and keep the youngster who is only 3 and would that be right moving a youngster that many times)
Could you move to a cheaper livery and bring your costs down? I would personally keep them but only because I know how I feel about my lot so I am applying them to the situation iykwim, the other option would be to loan one out or bring in a sharer?
 

WindyStacks

Well-Known Member
Joined
21 April 2014
Messages
568
It depends on what your current situation is now, and what the future holds realistically. Are you currently working fewer hours and therefore DIY/Grass livery is a sensible option until you return to ft employment? Is it actually a change of pace of life in which DIY/grass would be an option long term anyway? If the bf is a student then does he have some time to help more hands on with the work involved?

If you want to compete then keeping the 3 year old won't really "win" anyway as you won't be taking a 3 year old out competing so that would bring your costs down considerably as you'd just be ticking over for at least a year.
 

Always-Riding

Well-Known Member
Joined
18 March 2013
Messages
342
Location
Kew
Thanks for your replies. The change is I'm having to relocate due to family issues meaning I'm having to move home for a short while (no job lined up there as it's 3 hours away from job here and the family are then moving back up to near where I am now by September). So for that period I will be relying almost solely on my savings.

By September when I know I'll be permenantly in an area I will be getting a job but again, there are no guarantees to how quickly that happens.

BF does help an incredible amount now it's summer, and does mainly look after the mare for me, which will be a godsend for all the moving. And the other thing is that having her means it'll be a lot easier to back the youngster as he is rock solid in traffic etc, and I have a riding partner. But realistically the money is a huge worry at the moment.

Ah decisions, decisions!!
 

Hemirjtm

Well-Known Member
Joined
28 December 2006
Messages
8,510
Location
you take this road, then that road
Could you not stay put and keep your job where you are now and not have the worries of selling/moving the horses? Do you need to move with the family if it is for such a short period of time? I don't think I would sell just because for 3 months you wouldn't be able to afford competing/training. Also if you don't really click with the mare then does it matter if you aren't competing/training?? You won't be competing the 3yr old until next year at the earliest so surely you can tighten the purse strings for a few months...
 

WelshD

Well-Known Member
Joined
19 October 2009
Messages
7,824
Could you loan out the mare? Perhaps offering your Boyfriend as a ready made sharer who could oversee the loan (assuming that he isnt moving)
 

Kat

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 January 2008
Messages
12,805
Location
Derbyshire
Could you ask to stay on at your job working condensed hours and/or some time from home so you can spend more time with the family? Or agree to expended unpaid leave so you have a job to go back to? Is it a really impossible commute? We have people doing mega long commutes to our place. Some spend a few nights in a B&B to save travel or rent a room near work but lots drive in daily. Personally I do over 100 miles a day because there are no jobs close to home.
 
Top