A WWYD thread

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm sorry - that seems awful. Clearly the decision is no longer in your hands, as it sounds as though you would rather seek a different "solution", but I can't get my head around your work team at all.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I do understand that it's a business and so PTS is the pragmatic decision if she is unsuited to her work but she sounds far from ready for the scrapheap. If they don't want to pass the problem on could they not loan her out? So they retain control of her future but don't have the cost of a horse they can't use. Or could you buy her for £1 and loan her out yourself if you are not in a position to keep her. Just seems like there are avenues that might suit everyone. I do sympathise with you - I know it's not in your hands but they might listen to proposals from you if you present them with a plan.

brightmount

Visit site
That’s disappointing when there was a way forward. I hope you can change their mind so the pony is at least given a chance with BP.

sport horse

Visit site
I was involved some years ago with a horse that developed head shaking and it got worse. It also got difficult in the stable etc. In the end the owners decided to PTS and I asked the knackerman to take a look at it to see if there was anything to explain the behaviour. The result? A brain tumour. Good luck I am sure you are making the right decision.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I was involved some years ago with a horse that developed head shaking and it got worse. It also got difficult in the stable etc. In the end the owners decided to PTS and I asked the knackerman to take a look at it to see if there was anything to explain the behaviour. The result? A brain tumour. Good luck I am sure you are making the right decision.

Not all head shakers have brain tumours they are quite rare, this pony only head shakes in summer so it's pollen allergy related!

zaminda

Visit site
This is why I ended up with my mare. Not a horse I would have chosen and when she went to a school environment she turned dangerous but I couldn't watch it done. Very upsetting for you and I hope you can persuade them of another solution.
Funnily enough done by people in a very secure financial position but they see things as disposable which I guess is similar to your case.

Yuki1290

Visit site
It's far but should be feasible! Could you please send me the link to the video that you mentioned in one of your previous posts? Do you think that the owners would, actually, consider re-homing her?

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I had a horse that developed this when we moved yards 10 miles away. After 3 months, we moved yards and the symptoms disappeared completely. 12 years later she's still absolutely fine.

highlandponygirl

Visit site
If this had come up this time next year when my financial position would be stronger and more stable I would have bit your hands off for her! :( What a shame, it must be hard to come to terms with pts a pony with obvious qualities.

sport horse

Visit site
Not all head shakers have brain tumours they are quite rare, this pony only head shakes in summer so it's pollen allergy related!
Totally agree that not all head shakers have tumours but this pony's behaviour in the stable is deteriorating so personally I would consider the possibility. Not all head shakers go through a post mortem so we would not know how many could be affected by tumours - maybe more than is thought? I have not seen the pony so I am unable to say more than 'I have seen' x in one case. Have you actually seen the pony to decide it is pollen allergy and what tests have you run to prove your statement?

holeymoley

Visit site
This wee pony sounds like it deserves a chance on a 1 to 1 with an owner in a different environment. I really hope yuki1290 can rehome her.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am so sorry for you FM and for the mare .
And I hope an alternative way out can be found .
Head shaking is a horrible thing and high proportion of people who get the human equivalent kill them themselves
To play devils adovcate I do understand the reasoning behind PTS and I am not sure how we can gauge how much a head shaker is suffering when it’s not be entirely maddened by being ridden .
FM nothing is worse than forming a bond with a horse you then can’t save or protect ,it happened to me once and it’s awful.
Just make her time left as good as possible .
Fingers crossed for you both .

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Totally agree that not all head shakers have tumours but this pony's behaviour in the stable is deteriorating so personally I would consider the possibility. Not all head shakers go through a post mortem so we would not know how many could be affected by tumours - maybe more than is thought? I have not seen the pony so I am unable to say more than 'I have seen' x in one case. Have you actually seen the pony to decide it is pollen allergy and what tests have you run to prove your statement?

Where has it said the behaviour has deteriorated? Op said she has been riding and handling the pony and she has been ok apart from being grumpy and that she only head shakes in the summer.

There is no proof for whatever it is as the owners have not really tried to investigate it further, and it doesn't really sound severe enough to just call it a day especially if something could be done for her.

One of my horses would be classed as a very mild head shaker so I am not completely clueless about it, I have looked into it a bit myself and there are things that can help, and if a horse is beyond help and suffering I would have no qualms in the pts option.

sport horse

Visit site
Where has it said the behaviour has deteriorated? Op said she has been riding and handling the pony and she has been ok apart from being grumpy and that she only head shakes in the summer.

There is no proof for whatever it is as the owners have not really tried to investigate it further, and it doesn't really sound severe enough to just call it a day especially if something could be done for her.

One of my horses would be classed as a very mild head shaker so I am not completely clueless about it, I have looked into it a bit myself and there are things that can help, and if a horse is beyond help and suffering I would have no qualms in the pts option.

In the initial post the OP said that the pony 'has got much grumpier in its stable' which I take to mean its temperament is changing.

Mule

Visit site
I have personal experience with a headshaker. Mine was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia a few years back. His headshaking happened both when ridden and unridden.
It was as bad as the most extreme examples I saw on the internet when researching the condition. The vet was able to treat it the first time he got the symtoms but not the second time.

It was only because we got a second opinion we found out the headshaking was caused by sinusitis brought on by allergies. It was successfully treated with steroids.

Unlike trigeminal neuralgia headshaking from pollen allergies is easily treatable and isn't painful.

If there is a possibility of treatment I would ask about prednisolone. We got the human form. It was 100 tablets per day for six weeks. I also noticed that when he is completely shut up in the stable (with the top door closed) his headshaking stops.

Anyway if there's any chance of the owners agreeing to treatment, the prednisolone would be worth a shot.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have personal experience with a headshaker. Mine was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia a few years back. His headshaking happened both when ridden and unridden.
It was as bad as the most extreme examples I saw on the internet when researching the condition. The vet was able to treat it the first time he got the symtoms but not the second time.

It was only because we got a second opinion we found out the headshaking was caused by sinusitis brought on by allergies. It was successfully treated with steroids.

Unlike trigeminal neuralgia headshaking from pollen allergies is easily treatable and isn't painful.

If there is a possibility of treatment I would ask about prednisolone. We got the human form. It was 100 tablets per day for six weeks. I also noticed that when he is completely shut up in the stable (with the top door closed) his headshaking stops.

Anyway if there's any chance of the owners agreeing to treatment, the prednisolone would be worth a shot.

The issue is this horse was bought to a job , it’s not in a family home it now can’t do that job .
The owners are in many way being very moral they are going PTS many would get the mare away to a dealer then she would besold in winter for someone else to deal with in the spring .
Schools are very very risk adverse for very good reasons .

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am afraid your post does not put the school in a good light. Some horses are just not suited to working in a RS (I know this is not quite the case but similar enough) but will do very well in a private home, where their quirks will be accommodated/worked round. In your position, I would offer to re-home her myself and then work from there to find her the right home.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Personally I think some people are being too harsh here with the OP. It is not their horse and they don’t get the final say. If the school as it’s owner decide it’s to be PTS then nobody is going to change that.

We may not like it but it’s their decision not the OPs. The horse was bought to do a job. For us hobby riders this kind of mindset is horrid looking but for businesses it’s the most business savvy way of looking at things.

I would much rather people and Businesses were this straight forwards, rather than the folks that just want attention and weep and wring hands their publicly over a decision that really wasn’t all that hard for Them just for the attention.

OP I hope you can help this wee mare, she does sound like a private home would be better for her but I totally get your feeling of helplessness as she’s not yours to decide a future on, fingers crossed all round.

Teajack

Visit site
I am afraid your post does not put the school in a good light. Some horses are just not suited to working in a RS (I know this is not quite the case but similar enough) but will do very well in a private home, where their quirks will be accommodated/worked round. In your position, I would offer to re-home her myself and then work from there to find her the right home.
This. Sorry, but the school's attitude stinks. So many who would give her a chance. She could well suit me as an adult returner confident on the ground.