A WWYD?

Britestar

Visit site
You haven't ridden for 3 weeks.
You have a large (too big for you) very spooky horse.
Its blowing a hoolie, 30mph winds. Gusting stronger.
Its the first day you can ride.

Do you:
A. Say leave it another day, its too windy and he'll be an idiot.
B. Ride, but in the confines of a outdoor school.
C. Go for a hack.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I wouldn't lunge first as it winds my horse up even more, but I would probably do B - and if he felt like a coiled spring leave it for another day or do walk work, and if he felt fine then crack on.

Roxylola

Visit site
A sensible person would do a or b i think, I bet you did c ?
With something decent to hack i likely would too, I often find they can be more looky in an arena than out and about cracking on

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
I would see this as an opportunity to do some ground work in the school using the winds to flap anything and everything around him to desensitise him a bit more :)

That or A.

skint1

Visit site
Well, I do have a horse that is too large for me :) but not spooky, but is also currently not in work for a few reasons (me, her, money) I would add D- do some groundwork in the school! :)

Britestar

Visit site
Very tongue in cheek - and Roxylola of course you are right, I did C! lol

Few spook spins at a tree trunk (been there a year, but hey), a snort and run past a bag caught on a fence, and a big trot the last bit because there was a tractor and trailer behind us!

He hates the school so that was never an option, lol.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
For me, if the question was; 1) the weather is blowing a gale and I feel guilty for not riding for so long, so I ought to do this, the answer would be no.
Or 2) The weather is blowing a gale, but I've really missed riding, I'm feeling positive that I can stay safe today in either the school or out hacking, then the answer would be yes.

If my mindset is positive, tempered with a realistic judgement of my ability and knowledge of the horse, then I'm good to go, but some days it's wise to leave the tack in the cupboard.

skint1

Visit site

Few spook spins at a tree trunk (been there a year, but hey), a snort and run past a bag caught on a fence, and a big trot the last bit because there was a tractor and trailer behind us!

Good going! Sounds like you had fun!

Roxylola

Visit site

We hacked in the same sort of weather this morning - supercob is in work though but also hates our arena. I've never ever known him ask to go home. Honestly I could happily walk past the end of the lane and if I didn't turn him up it to go home we'd just carry on. Today we got to a turning we go down sometimes and he sort of angled for it as if to say please can we go down here and we can be home in a few minutes. To be fair it was absolutely torrential rain for the entire time

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

Excellent, that's what I'd have done. Planned a short hack but extended it depending on manners.