A421 Great Barford Bypass overbridges

Sooty

Visit site
If anyone remembers the endless discussions between me and the Highways Agency regarding the 1m parapets that were constructed over the new bypass, I have an update. My MP has arranged a meeting with the Transport Minister to discuss this specific issue, and I am going to go along and put my case. Apparently I have to keep it brief so the Minister gets a chance to reply. Hmmm… Anyway, now I have to spend sleepless nights worrying about what to say (I tend to talk sh*te when nervous), and what to wear! I am told these meetings are fairly informal, so I thought dungarees and a stick of straw dangling from my mouth… This had better be worth it!!

riotgirl

Visit site
OMG! What an opportunity to get your point across. I am with you on the slightly scary aspect though! Dungarees and straw sounds a plan - and mabe you could tske a horse with you as a prop.
grin.gif

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Sooty!I'm surprised at you.You should know that you also need a HAT to go with the dungarees and piece of straw
blush.gif
tongue.gif

Seriously,good luck with it....you couldn't possibly talk any more sh*te than the Minister
wink.gif

Sooty

Visit site
blush.gif
How could I forget about the hat! One of those straw ones with the ragged edge... Thanks for the good wishes. Am definitely not looking forward to it! Mind you, it will be interesting to see what the Houses of Paliament are like on the inside. Oh, I bet I could! (talk more....)

EllieBeast

Visit site
Ooh, what an oppertunity. Good luck, try taking that 40 hand horse to give them an idea! ( it was one of your newspaper articles that printed that wasnt it?)

riotgirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Bailer twine, always useful wherever you are - allow to hang from pockets!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't say that - I found some in my handbag this morbning when I got to work.
blush.gif

spaniel

Visit site
Sooty I was beginning to wonder if the Minister had forgotten about you! The yokel look should go down a treat, dont forget to wade about in your muck heap a bit, just to get the aromatic effects!

Seriously though, good on you , dont worry about being nervous, there is no shame in writing everything you want to say on a bit of paper and referring to that.

Sooty

Visit site
Thanks Lou! I have to say I am not looking forward to it much, but it is the very last chance to get anything done. Trouble is the cost initially would have been around £15k, now it will mean closing the road and the cost will be really phenomenal. Ah well, we'll see...

tigers_eye

Visit site
I think this was initially going on when I joined the forum, so I don't know exactly how much "evidence" you have but perhaps a few choice photos would help your case? Maybe one of a horse and rider next to the insufficient parapets, one of a horse and rider next to good parapets (Ionly know one horse bridge like this - it is over the A1 just south of the South Mimms junction with the M25), one of a horse rearing with a rider (to demonstrate potential horse height), and one of a nasty accident involving a horse and a car. I'm sure any of the horsey mags would let you use some of their stock shots if you needed some photos.

I think you have provided a fantastic example of what one person can do when it comes to putting across a valid point, now you are going to the HoP, that's just brilliant. The very best of luck, and please let us know how you get on (as well as the goss from the HoP please!)

Sooty

Visit site
LOL - thanks! I will try and nick you some loo roll shall I? I shall take the H&H and local paper, both of which featured a friend of mine riding her very tall horse over one of these bridges. Thanks for the support! This was the pictures being taken:

[image][/image]

Click to enlarge

hellyt1

Visit site
just wanted to say well done and good luck, it's great that you've persevered with this. If they'd only done it right in the first place (which I seem to remember you were promised?) they wouldn't have this problem now. Hopefully that picture will get the message across, surely anyone can see how ridiculous the 1m rails are.
Have you ever done any public speaking? Depending on how confident you are, I would recommend writing a speach of exactly what you want to say and reading from it word for word. If you are good at ad libing then maybe you can get the message across better without, but there is nothing worse than standing there "umm"ing because you've lost your thread due to nerves!

Sooty

Visit site
Thanks! I thought I'd jot down some bullet points and glug some Rescue Remedy... I seemed to cope well enough when we had the meeting with the HA on the bridge, so I should be ok once I hit my stride. Sounds like tempting fate, doesn't it?
blush.gif