Aaaggghhhhhhhhhh

Parkranger

Visit site
Ok, sorry that's better!

Tried to shoe Ty again (in the stable) and once again he tried to leap forward nearly taking me with him. Going to have to try sedation now. He was on bute so not in pain from his shoulder....seemed to be just getting annoyed with having to stand still.

Had my parents telling me that I should cut my losses - he's blind, a nightmare to shoe and obviously got shoulder problems which make him intermittently lame (which he's now seeing physio for and on supplements)....but I love him to bits!

Pointless post but just had to vent a bit.
mad.gif
x

_jetset_

Visit site
Me too... what is wrong with his shoulder?

My dressage instructor's horse only has one eye and she competes as a high level of dressage, so I don't think the blind issue is a big thing.

You love your boy lots and lots... that's why you put up with some of the faults, as we all do. My new girl is horrid to clip, she has to be sedated, but she has so many good points that I have to over look that one.

leanne123

Visit site
my big lad is a total stress head when being ridden nothing nasty just annoying, but a total dream in any other way but know were building a bond i can't see him going any where, even though others tell me i'm wasting my time trying to calm him down, and to get shut. the way i see it if don't give him a chance who will.
but that just makes me more determined, to prove them wrong and hes showing willing these last few weeks hes been really trying.
not really much help to u but just trying to tell you your not alone.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You love your boy lots and lots... that's why you put up with some of the faults, as we all do. My new girl is horrid to clip, she has to be sedated, but she has so many good points that I have to over look that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reality being a bugger to clip is a once/twice a year thing and you still get to use the horse. The biggest concern I have about Victress' horse is his shoulder, if she can not ride him what good is he. The shoeing problem is a bit of a nussence, the eye does not really concern me.

The problem Victress has is maintaining her horse is now incredibly expensive with physio and having the vet our every 8 weeks to sedate - if you can afford it and it keeps him sound enough to do what you want, then I would keep him.

However the reality is you will fall in love with any horse, so if you can not keep him sound, or it is too expensive I would get something else. In 2-3 months of owning that, you will have forgotten about your boy - what is his name again.
confused.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
I know what you're saying GTS - at the moment I'm still within the 6 months period we have in the UK where you can protest buying an unsound horse. I would be within my rights to give him back.

Since the cold weather has been drawing in, he's been intermittently lame on his right side. He's been off work for 2 weeks but I'v been gently lunging him and it seems to have sorted itself out. I'm hoping it just needed unlocking and supplements (glucosamine) to get it right. Going to give it a month on the supplments and gentle build up work. I think then I'll have to make a decision.

£450 a month is alot of money if I can't use him at all.

May have to ship him down to my parents to live out his life.....I don't want to give up yet though
frown.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
Has his shoulder been diagnosed by a vet Vicstress?

I ALWAYS seem to think horses look like they are lame for the shoulder and I've never been right, the prolem has always been somewhere else (the foot usually)! It is actually quite rare to have a shoulder problem I believe.

fairhill

Visit site
I've never heard of a 6 month period where you can return unsound horses? Did you buy him from a dealer?

Regarding your shoeing problems - I know a few horses that need ACPs or sedalin to be shod, after a few sessions sedated they've been able to work towards shoeing unsedated. Is it the same leg he's being awkward with each time?

Kelly1982

Visit site
How many shoes does he have on??

Could you just not try shoeing him in front as he will be standing around less and will have less timr to stress out. Then hopefully he will start to settle and eventually you can try putting backs on (although i probably wouldn't bother).

Do you think his unwillingness to be shod is to do with his shoulder/leg? Have you had a vet look at him? It may be the start of artiritus if its only happening now the weather is turning?

Parkranger

Visit site
It's all part of the consumer rights act - of course you can't just hand him back, but you have more rights to fight them at small claims within 6 months of purchase than you do once that time has lapsed.

I don't really think they'd have a leg to stand on (pardon the pun!)

He's had a nasty fall on his shoulder at some stage so I'd be very suprised if it's not that....will get the vet in next week if no improvement.

fairhill

Visit site
I always thought it was 'buyer beware' when it came to horses - hence why vettings are done...

What does the physio think about his shoulder injury?
It could just be that he's taking the proverbial with the shoeing, and is trying it on...

Parkranger

Visit site
TBH I think he is taking the mick with his shoeing - maybe first time it was all new but now he's found his feet (again pardon the pun)

I had a 5 stage vetting......

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He's had a nasty fall on his shoulder at some stage so I'd be very suprised if it's not that....will get the vet in next week if no improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be inclined to get the vet out sooner rather than later, not because I think he needs to be seen urgently but because you'll get a better idea of what you are dealing with and you might have your mind put at rest.

It really might not be his shoulder, intermittant lameness can be a sign of so many things potentially less sinister than a long term joint problem
grin.gif

Good luck with him x

TGM

Visit site
Is he worse on his unsound leg? The reason he is difficult to shoe maybe because it hurts to have his leg flexed. Alternatively he may be reluctant to transfer weight to his other front foot if there is pain in it.

Parkranger

Visit site
That's why he was buted up when he was shod - didn't work though so I think it's either behavioural or he expected it to hurt.

If he wasn't a good horse in other aspects he'd be long gone by now.....

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That's why he was buted up when he was shod - didn't work though so I think it's either behavioural or he expected it to hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact he was buted up doesn't rule pain out for me, it doesn't mask everything.

I agree with TGM, based on what you have said it sounds as though prolonged flexion is hurting him (although if it was a flexion issue from an old injury this would have been picked up during 5 stage?), or the extra weight on his other foot hurts, or something is sore in the foot the farrier is working on?

I would get him off the bute, and get the vet out to do a work up- once you know what is wrong you can work to get it right and you may find by solving the root of the problem the shoeing issues sort themselves out.

I also wouldn't try again with the shoeing until the vet has seen him- no point notching up another bad experience as then you really will end up with a horse who won't be shod!

aran

community.webshots.com
was he lame when you bought him - i presume not as your vetting should have shown it. i'm sure that given the fact that you had a vetting and all was fine you dont have a chance at getting your money back from the old owners especially as you have had him for a while. You may have luck against the vet if you can say that he definately missed the blindness and lameness.
With any horse that is intermittently lame i'd get a full lameness work up down to locate the issue. leaving it to grumble on or trying to treat a lameness that you dont really know the cause of is not a good idea.
do you actually know that he has had a fall?
good luck with it all - you dont seem to have had a very good time with it all!