Aaarrgghh, should I buy my Shetland back...? Help me decide!

WispyBegs

Visit site
Yes yes yes, buy her back! How could you possibly resist seeing this sweet face everyday?

p.s i am not the voice of reason , always go with your heart, not your brain?

Palindrome

Visit site
No I wouldn't, I have 4 (one on loan but would like her back) and have just put 1 for sale as it is too much work.

Jules111

Visit site
My mini shet is more trouble than the other 4 put together. I swear he finds trouble and then watches me for a reaction. He can get were water can't, he'll figure a way into a field with 3 lines of mains powered electric fence then stand and call me to show he's achieved the next level. He also bullies my youngsters, definitely has little man syndrome. I can't imagine a day without a cuddle and a really good scratch with him. His personality never fails to make me smile even when I could cheerfully have him turned into a pyjama case. He's not quite 8 hh high but don't tell him, he sees himself more in the 17:2 space. You'll enjoy having your girl home. Congratulations on your new/old pony day ;)

Visit site
If you small enough to ride her then compete her! If she is registered then you have a world of opportunities both in the show ring and in the dressage ring. The Native Pony Dressage Champs were a couple of weeks ago and sadly only 1 shetland pony was present. They are such versatile little creatures! And if you find a rider the right age she could race!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would have said go get her as I am hopeless at saying goodbye to anything and shetlands are not even my favourite although I used to show them in hand and I did enjoy that.

catembi

Visit site
Well, I am picking her up at the weekend…! I will have to enjoy my last few days of non chaos. H’mm, if I competed her BD, we would need a saddle… All work so far has been bareback. It’s like sitting on a furry, feisty gym ball. I also taught her to jump on the lunge and she loves that! She is about 9.2hh or maybe 10hh and I am 5 ft 1 and 7 1/2 st so jumping under saddle wouldn’t work. I bet she would love racing…she used to race Trev round the field!

Visit site
Well, I am picking her up at the weekend…! I will have to enjoy my last few days of non chaos. H’mm, if I competed her BD, we would need a saddle… All work so far has been bareback. It’s like sitting on a furry, feisty gym ball. I also taught her to jump on the lunge and she loves that! She is about 9.2hh or maybe 10hh and I am 5 ft 1 and 7 1/2 st so jumping under saddle wouldn’t work. I bet she would love racing…she used to race Trev round the field!

Yes you would need a saddle but the pads designed for Shetlands are like riding bareback with stirrups ?

EmmaC78

Visit site
Great decision, even if you don't keep her forever, as others have said, you can at least have control over her next home.

Boulty

Visit site
Get her back & then find a small child to love her & spoil her (& maybe do some competing) whilst she entertains everyone by causing chaos!

catembi

Visit site
You are right…my first instinct was to grab her back, but I am trying very hard to save up for the FMBs thing (£2,600…), and the thought of the extra work, all the escaping, how she tries to boss the others… I just needed a nudge in the right direction.

I felt bad when she went…poor baby, being sent off alone to make her way in the world…but was pleased that she was going to have a job beyond eating and mischief.

I will try to find her an insanely brave small person to take her out n about.

The fencer is coming on Saturday to assess what needs doing and to give a start date, so at least there will be an end in sight to playing ‘find the Shetland’. Followed by ‘catch the Shetland’ which is tricky as she’s surprisingly fast for a sphere on tiny legs and can jump higher than you’d think. She has cleared a 1 ton bag of arena surface with me in hot pursuit and jumped a 4 ft ditch…