Abcess ....but very lucky

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Farrier came tonight to shoe my lad. He removed shoes & then said 'he's got an abcess here' Sure enough he had an abcess in his front n/s hoof.
blush.gif
frown.gif
confused.gif
He cut it out, it was small & fortunatrely it must have burst on it's own accord because at no time has he been lame, & no puss came out.
confused.gif

I had a think about it & I think a couple of weeks ago he cut his leg & the vet came out, sorted him out & gave the usual antibiotic jab & powders. Possibly this treatment also sorted out the abcess that we only found today?
smile.gif

I was amazed when he found it & couldn't think why he'd shown no lameness. I think we were very lucky & he's not been out of work at all. Oh well, post over.
grin.gif

Natalie_H

Visit site
Snap!! My boy has just been undergoing treatment for an abscess in his n/s front hoof. It was diagnosed last Thursday, but after poulticing for 2 days he went absolutely hopping lame - vet came up & found second pocket in same hoof next to the first one. He has had the shoe put back on today & is completely sound (touches wood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Thistle

Visit site
Disposable nappies, new born for ponies and size up as required.

They make a fab emergency hoof poultice / dressing. You just put round the foot and do up the tapes. Next vetrap, the duct tape.

Fiona

Visit site
Have horsie with punctured sole at the mo, so v practised at this....
1. animalintex
2. vetrap
3. corner of horsehage bag (with hoof shaped piece of lino stuck on the bottom with duct tape),
Put onto foot and stuck in place round pastern.

This is a 5yo TB mare who goes out in the field every day,....so stays on v well indeed.

Fiona