Aberdeen people

khw

New User
Visit site
Hi all
Bear with me as this is my first post on here! So apologies if it is in the wrong place!
I am looking for help and advice from Aberdeen based forumites.
Due to my husbands work we are moving to Aberdeen in the new year and I am looking for livery for my horse.
Can forumites give me some ideas on yards which may have spaces for DIY livery - I would like assisted DIY so horse turned out in morning and perhaps taken in in the afternoon if poss?
I would like quite small turnout groups and seperate mares/geldings if possible and good fencing!!
A nice arena with floodlights is a must, and some nice hacking would be preferable.
We will be renting a house in Kintore near Inverurie.
I compete in dressage and would love it if you could recommend trainers in the area too?
Thank you all in advance!​

kim75

Visit site
The cabin equestrian centre in Inverurie were advertising spaces yesterday, they have a huge outdoor and an indoor school not sure about turnout but have Bsja and dressage there plus Regular trainers

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Not an expert on yards but would def say even if you have to pay to reserve a space, don't leave it too late to firmly find somewhere. The reason is that the new Aberdeen bypass being built means most of the main larger livery yards to the west and north of Aberdeen are closing and there is currently a scrum to find somewhere for all the horses to go. While Inverurie is a few miles off, anyone over that side of Aberdeen will be competition for spaces at yards.

You might already know all this but just in case not, hope it's useful info....pS welcome to Aberdeenshire you will love it!

spookypony

Visit site
I think Fountain are full, but Ladyleys may have spaces? I think Tertowie may also be having problems, though don't know for sure. Worth asking.

For competition, being north of the city is definitely a bonus. Regarding the trainers, what is your flavour?

khw

New User
Visit site
Thank you all! Would prefer a small ish yard, rather than a big competition centre. The cabin only does full livery apparently. Can anyone give me information on the below yards - please send me a Private Message if you'd prefer , as I'd really like to make this move as easy as possible ;-)
These are the ones which will be closest to our rented house as far as I can tell from google -

Hogholm Stables
Newton of Fintray Livery Yard

These are further away but still only 20 mins or so:
Millpond
Tertowie
Newton of Straloch
Lower Rainieshill Farm

Ladyleys and Fountain look like big competition yards to me from their websites? I would prefer smaller.

Thank you all for your help.

TequilaMist

Visit site
A friend of a friend recently moved to Hogholm and loves it. Think they have indoor and 2 outdoors says the hackings great.Don't think its cheap and unsure of the services they provide outside full livery. Don't know about the rest tho the rumour is that Tertowie is closing???But don't take that as gospel check that out before excluding it.It could have got caught up in the fact that other yards are closing

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
A friend of a friend recently moved to Hogholm and loves it. Think they have indoor and 2 outdoors says the hackings great.Don't think its cheap and unsure of the services they provide outside full livery. Don't know about the rest tho the rumour is that Tertowie is closing???But don't take that as gospel check that out before excluding it.It could have got caught up in the fact that other yards are closing

I think it is closing mid next year but might be a temporary option if you have to wait for a space at an ideal yard, again check that tho as that's just what's been said.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Was told tonight that liveries at Tertowie have been given a months notice but again that is just what has been said.We have had 2 liveries move on from there. But you know what horse world is like

Daytona

Visit site
Hogholm is lovely and provides assisted livery but currently it's full, though that might change by then

Newton of Fintry is a nice yard and run by a lady called Jen who is also a dressage trainer, I seen them advertising the other day they had a space so I'd he quick of the mark on that one as others have said a few large yards closed resent,

Tertowie is closing at the end of December so that's a no go.

Ardmedden has 4 spaces coming up at end of dec / start jan. It's cheap too around £330 full livery I'm lead to believe.

Tayto

Visit site
Thank you all! Would prefer a small ish yard, rather than a big competition centre. The cabin only does full livery apparently. Can anyone give me information on the below yards - please send me a Private Message if you'd prefer , as I'd really like to make this move as easy as possible ;-)
These are the ones which will be closest to our rented house as far as I can tell from google -

Hogholm Stables
Newton of Fintray Livery Yard

These are further away but still only 20 mins or so:
Millpond
Tertowie
Newton of Straloch
Lower Rainieshill Farm

Ladyleys and Fountain look like big competition yards to me from their websites? I would prefer smaller.

Thank you all for your help.

I can also recommend Newton of Fintray. Jen is a lovely lady and so helpful. It is quite a small yard with a lovely outdoor school and loads of hacking.

Good luck - hope you find somewhere! I would love to move to Newton of Fintray but its just too far away for me :(

khalswitz

Visit site
There are lots of small yards that don't advertise hugely that would be worth approaching, however the big ones all seem to be full or closing right now... with Loanhead, Tertowie and Denburn all gone/going the fight for livery is on! I just secured a space to move yards the day Loanhead announced they were closing, was very relieved!

spookypony

Visit site
Denburn closing too? And Loanhead...end of an era! I thought the bypass is to be west of Loanhead? Shame about the gorgeous, huge indoor school! When are they closing?

khalswitz

Visit site
One of them is closing cos of an associated housing development rather than cos of the bypass itself I think....maybe that's it?

Yeah, Denburn is the bypass, same as Old Milltimber - that's why they've been continuing for so long with grass livery. Loanhead is housing - Stuart Milne who owns it has been trying for a long time to close them down for housing, and only just got the permission.

I don't know when Denburn will actually close, Loanhead has said end of March.

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
Denburn closing too? And Loanhead...end of an era! I thought the bypass is to be west of Loanhead? Shame about the gorgeous, huge indoor school! When are they closing?

Denburn too!! That's a lot of displaced horses that's got to be three of the biggest yards nearest the city. Shame about loanhead the hacking round there is great I can bike there through the woods from my flat.

khalswitz

Visit site
Denburn too!! That's a lot of displaced horses that's got to be three of the biggest yards nearest the city. Shame about loanhead the hacking round there is great I can bike there through the woods from my flat.

Yeah that's been on the cards a long while though? They were told the same time as Milltimber, or that's what I heard. Don't think they are ejecting current liveries any time soon though, same as Old Milltimber, just that it's on the cards. Don't make me question my sources people!

Last edited:

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Parkhill moved and milltimber farm moved, so I guess these other yards aren't really keen to continue as they will surely have been given remuneration to move and so can set up else where??

Did anything ever come of that yard that was hinted in bridge of don area??

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
I know things had been on the cards for a long time just nothing seemed to actually happen for a few years like Hayfield said they were going to move years ago. It's such a lovely horsey area so close to the city it makes me sad :(

khalswitz

Visit site
I know things had been on the cards for a long time just nothing seemed to actually happen for a few years like Hayfield said they were going to move years ago. It's such a lovely horsey area so close to the city it makes me sad :(

I know, unfortunately everyone wants houses, so the city will get larger and the horses further away :(.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Yeah that's been on the cards a long while though? They were told the same time as Milltimber, or that's what I heard. Don't think they are ejecting current liveries any time soon though, same as Old Milltimber, just that it's on the cards. Don't make me question my sources people!

I'm at new yard at Milltimber.Don't think old yard is closing as he has just made an indoor school(as in weeks old) and doubt he would have paid the thousands he did for the surface if he was closing. I know he is losing grazing to road and some to housing so is limiting the amount of liveries he takes but as far as I am aware no plans to shut old yard . In fact he has taken some of Tertowies and Loaheads liveries on.
But I shall ask him if I see him tonight not that he'd say if its top secret!lol
edited to add do I think it will eventually go yes I do and prob any other yard in area once housing starts .

khalswitz

Visit site
I'm at new yard at Milltimber.Don't think old yard is closing as he has just made an indoor school(as in weeks old) and doubt he would have paid the thousands he did for the surface if he was closing. I know he is losing grazing to road and some to housing so is limiting the amount of liveries he takes but as far as I am aware no plans to shut old yard . In fact he has taken some of Tertowies and Loaheads liveries on.
But I shall ask him if I see him tonight not that he'd say if its top secret!lol
edited to add do I think it will eventually go yes I do and prob any other yard in area once housing starts .

I heard that the money for the swish new yard (which I am moving to at start of January so will be nice to meet you!) came from the bypass, and that he would lose the old yard when it happened... but I haven't asked him about it so I don't know.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Ah are you stabled then or grass as wasn't aware of any stable coming free but I'm a livery there not a confidante lol so someone may well be leaving.
Yes yards good I'm the moaning old git in corner. He must do something right most of us have been there yrs and yrs. Think I am 10 plus. He has one (on old yard) been there over 60 yrs.Is it mare or gelding you have?

khalswitz

Visit site
Ah are you stabled then or grass as wasn't aware of any stable coming free but I'm a livery there not a confidante lol so someone may well be leaving.
Yes yards good I'm the moaning old git in corner. He must do something right most of us have been there yrs and yrs. Think I am 10 plus. He has one (on old yard) been there over 60 yrs.Is it mare or gelding you have?

I just missed the stable that came free by about 2 hrs, so going grass until a stable comes up - thought with Loanhead et al closing I'd stand a better chance of getting one once in! It's a gelding I have, and he lives out at the moment so suits us fine :)

EmmasMummy

Visit site
I just missed the stable that came free by about 2 hrs, so going grass until a stable comes up - thought with Loanhead et al closing I'd stand a better chance of getting one once in! It's a gelding I have, and he lives out at the moment so suits us fine :)

I can vouch that it is nice there, and they are very nice and its nice hacking to!

TequilaMist

Visit site
The hacking was the only thing I wasn't sure about, good to hear its good!! My lad is very good in traffic so hopefully means we can get about a fair bit!
TBH the hackings pretty poor imo. You have direct access to railway line but if its nice everyone and their dog(literally lol) are out. And since they tarmaced it you have the racers on their bikes which annoy EVERYONE as they stop for nothing. Also now (a very recent addition) have a council wifey counting horseshit and complaining about that cos 1 or 2 people complained(it was just 1 or 2 that was what woman said)
You are in a better position if your lad is good in traffic as you can cross the main road to access more but there is a lot of roadwork to get to off road areas.On plus side Tillyoch hackable if you want to compete a bit but no transport.

brucea who knows lots of rumours as to why but don't really know