Abnormal high heart rate in 2 year old

whitewood

Visit site
A two year old gelding, been in their new home for about 4/5 days. His heart rate is about 100. Everything else absolutely fine, temperature etc no apparent infections, although bloods have been taken.
Next day the vet came out and went to him in the field to avoid stressful situation. Varied between 72 and 100, although on the face of it, the gelding was really chilled. No history of anything untoward in the past.
Has anyone got any ideas. There is no history of heart problems in either dam or sires side either.

Tnavas

Visit site
Could possibly be from the effects of magnesium deficiency. Deficiency affects the central nervous system which will affect heart rate.

Spring grass grows fast and is deficient in Magnesium in ratio to other minerals and water content.

If this is the problem then feeding a table spoon Epsom Salts twice daily while grass is growing hard should fix it.

Increased heart rate was the first sign that my horse had grass staggers - heart rate checked for endurance and then realised that horse had been a little odd about having feet trimmed a day or so earlier. No other symptoms apart from the increased heart rate.

whitewood

Visit site
Thanks for those answers - really interesting.
Blood tests have been taken and awaiting results, so if it is a deficiency that will become evident.

He doesn't appear to be in pain, but then again he such a chilled little character sometimes it is hard to tell isn't it?

I am starting to panic here as I would hate to think I have bred a horse with problems. His heartbeat was fine when he was gelded last year, so must be something else.

The vet over there is talking ECG's etc etc.