Abscess advice please

Tapir

Visit site
My companion pony came in last Sunday (just over a week ago) very lame on a front leg. I suspected an abscess and Couldn't find any other painful bits so hot tubbed and poulticed.

I called the farrier who was too busy to visit so got the vet instead. She came on Monday afternoon, scraped the pony's hoof a bit but couldn't find the abscess although she agreed that was the problem. She left telling me to continue to poultice - this cost me £100.

I continued to hot, wet poultice and on Thursday I thought the abscess had popped. I couldn't find a hole but the poultice was very smelly. I continued to wet poultice until Saturday when I changed to dry as I wasn't keen her hoof being wet any longer. The poultices are still a bit smelly but only a little.

She is sound in walk in a straight line but still quite lame in trot. I could really do with being able to turn her out as my ridden pony is starting to be a nightmare to ride. At the moment they are both on the yard in front of the stables to try and keep her moving a bit but out of the mud.

Should I just keep poulticing until she's totally sound, do I need another vet visit or shall I bite the bullet and turn her out now she's nearly sound?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Did the vet use testers, things like oversized pliers? Or a knife to pare back the sole at all?
If pony is lame I would assume keep poulticing, but I would be ringing vet, is vet experienced in equine matters?
I assume unshod?
I would keep poulticing, there must be a track from inside to outside, but whether it is enough to allow the abscess to drain is the thing, can you identify the point of leakage from the poultice? Is it evident when you look?
Have you asked the farrier again?
Thing is, that if a hole has to be pared, you will then have to avoid contamination by soil so it is likely that they will have to be kept in for even longer.
I don't think there is any point in turning out and hoping for the best, abscesses can be difficult to sort.

Last edited: